DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Everyone is getting their own militarized drone these days (its easy).

Is it not already required.by law to register your drone...in the U.S...be smart fly safe
Not for recreational purposes. You register yourself as an individual. Nowhere on the registration form do you put the SN of your UAV, therefore the drone itself is not actually “registered”.

• Wow
Reactions: MKurr
So it seems the consensus here is that regulations on the user level won’t stop it, and I think regulations on the controller/kit manufacturers won’t either.

So, perhaps a better defense and some offense (both diplomatic and punitive) are about the only ways to deal with it?

In the end though, we are all going to be paying more money for things that are dependent on the petroleum stream because of this.

Reactions: Classic flyer
While I agree that registration should be required, as with manned aircraft, world wide I really don't think it will do anything to stop regimes from continuing there assaults on governments they intend to disrupt...JMO...be smart fly safe

However there are a lot of unlicensed drone already out there and you can mke your own from parts anyway
Do you REALLY think registration will help?

Reactions: MKurr
So it seems the consensus here is that regulations on the user level won’t stop it, and I think regulations on the controller/kit manufacturers won’t either.
So, perhaps a better defense and some offense (both diplomatic and punitive) are about the only ways to deal with it?

Be careful what you wish for as some countries are more guilty than others.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drone_strikes_in_Yemen

I think defense is going to win out on this, be it electronic or physical barriers. The thought of drone swarms doing this is an issue though, even the navy has been concerned about this as their conventional defensive systems may not be able to deal with it. Kind of reminds me of this Star Trek scene:

Drones are a new and emerging threat to national securities world wide and as it becomes more widely used, almost on a daily basis, it's going to make it tougher for us, as hobbyists, to enjoy our Hobby due to all the future restrictions that surely will follow...be smart fly safe

Reactions: AMann
Making it law to register your drone and having an online test would definitely stamp out this sort of thing!
Not sure on that the market for 2nd hand would become the default for purchase or just buy components and home build, unless RC equipment is tracked via serials for each component then its not going to work, Im in the UK and we still have gun crime! granted not much but its still here and non of those weapons are registered! I agree with the idea in principle but in reality there will always be ways round it and only us honest people will comply, still i suppose my old P3P will become sought after on the 2nd hand market!

I think they will be considering the return of Selective Availability for GPS after attacks like this, at least perhaps on a regional level.
Nope. Won't happen. Not only did the DoD commit to never turning Selective Availability back on; but, they're not even including the SA technology in the latest generation of GPS satellites.

The FAA would go nuts too as they were forced to go years ago with GPS rather than their Microwave Landing System for precision landing.

Reactions: jagraphics
Nope. Won't happen. Not only did the DoD commit to never turning Selective Availability back on; but, they're not even including the SA technology in the latest generation of GPS satellites.

The FAA would go nuts too as they were forced to go years ago with GPS rather than their Microwave Landing System for precision landing.

Besides if the US ever did have Selective Availability then everyone would swap to the other systems.....

SA can be programmed into the satellites, it doesn't have to be hardware. Also, it’s possible to make it regionally (a large one) available, and It was possible to get clearance to be given secure key codes to turn it off when using GPS units with that feature. I used this with some Magellan units my company had for a project we did at Edwards AFB back in the 90’s.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams