DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Expensive Mistake?

I’ve been testing my Mavic air battery to see how much reserve it has left after 0%. It flew for around 2-3 more minutes with the prop guards in after going below zero. I left it on the charger for an hour and it is still blinking in the first dot in an abnormal way faster than usual. I probably damaged something. Any suggestions to save the battery?
Thanks for testing and letting us know. I had no idea it would ruin a battery until I read this. Good to know. Sorry about your loss.

Looks like you got your answer several times, but here's a reply anyway. Back in the Phantom 1 days, I did that. I was thinking they worked like the old NiCads. Nope. I killed it. But back then, I dug through the instructions and found no warnings about doing that, so I emailed DJI, explained it all, and they actually sent me a replacement. I think it's now part of the instructions, though.

I have similar batteries for some power tools. One of my drills is Bluetooth-equipped. I left the battery attached and the little blue light stayed on. That was enough to drain the battery to zero, and kill it. The company did NOT replace that one for me.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you're asking about the one I got replaced, that was a Phantom 1. Those days are long gone, I expect. Plus, on line at least, I noticed they added information and warnings about not draining them. Currently, with my Mavic Air 2, I usually don't go much lower than 30%.

Sorry for your hard mistake
One of the problems with smart batteries, is that generally users dont need to understand the basics of lipo care like the old schoolers had to learn from day on of rc flying

Not sure that's a "problem" in a general sense. I think it's a good thing, actually.

Not sure that's a "problem" in a general sense. I think it's a good thing, actually.
I've noticed that some tools the use the "new" batteries shut themselves off before the battery can be drained. Not sure if that's true with the 'copters. I'm not going to test it, either :)

I guess it is good as it makes the hobby more accessible to more people. If there was not so many drone flyers out there the technology may have been slower in development

However, I’m of a mind that it’s good to be as knowledgeable as possible when using technology. Kind of like driving a car and being able to change a tyre or hook up some jumper leads. The smarter the tech becomes the less smart the user needs to be. All good while there is no issues

I guess it is good as it makes the hobby more accessible to more people. If there was not so many drone flyers out there the technology may have been slower in development

However, I’m of a mind that it’s good to be as knowledgeable as possible when using technology. Kind of like driving a car and being able to change a tyre or hook up some jumper leads. The smarter the tech becomes the less smart the user needs to be. All good while there is no issues

I generally agree with you. My only difference with you (if it exists) is that technology should be held back or avoided if it ends up dumbing people down. With that I strongly disagree.

We are all much safer because of anti-lock braking systems on cars. Most people have no idea technically how they work, or ever service the system personally in any way.

Same for intelligent batteries. Overall, it's a big benefit. Even more so for those pilots that wouldn't learn all the intricacies of Lipo management, and cause a fire. Or less problematic, destroy their packs.

Intelligent Batteries make my life much easier, and I know a lot about this subject (design and make my own power banks).

I generally agree with you. My only difference with you (if it exists) is that technology should be held back or avoided if it ends up dumbing people down. With that I strongly disagree.

not at all what i said. I merely said that it is advisable for people to understand the basics of the technology. Anti-lock braking systems still need to have wheel changes if they get a flat.

There is no need for people to understand how flight controllers, IMU or GPS systems work, at any significant level. But understanding how to fit propellers and basic battery management is something they should understand. This is just my opinion and i am in no way saying technology should be limited.
As i also said, the easier and more accessible these craft are, the more users we get, meaning more money towards technology advances.

I think where we differ is this: In the old days, people had to crank start cars, had to know some things about fiddling with carburetors and fuel mix depending on temperature and other factors. Today people have no need to know anything about engine starters, so most don't – they just turn the key.

In my opinion, DJI Intelligent Batteries have reached the same stage of advancement. All the lipo care and management practices, and knowledge necessary for naked packs is not needed for a DJI battery.

A DJI battery can be charged/discharged safely by someone without having any idea what 3s2p means, what balancing is, or why it's important. Or even discharging to safe storage level.

The module takes care of it all.

and yet, the OP destroyed his battery and is contemplating some dangerous steps to "fix" it. Potentially he could start a fire or cause his drone to be damaged. Your SMART battery didnt stop this from happening but, with basic knowledge, it wouldnt have happened.

Last edited:
and yet, the OP destroyed his battery and is contemplating some dangerous steps to "fix" it. Potentially he could start a fire or cause his drone to be damaged. Your SMART battery didnt stop this from happening but, with basic knowledge, it wouldnt have happened.

Someone else's foolishness is not an argument for becoming a brain surgeon.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Someone else's foolishness is not an argument for becoming a brain surgeon.
well if basic battery knowledge is equivalent to brain surgery for you, ill leave you alone now. I didn't realise your level of intelligence. My apologies, no disrespect intended.

well if basic battery knowledge is equivalent to brain surgery for you, ill leave you alone now. I didn't realise your level of intelligence.

This is how you honestly interpreted what I said? For real?

My apologies, no disrespect intended.

I don't believe you.

This ain't my first rodeo. Disrespect is exactly what was intended. I agree we should end the discussion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas