DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experimenting with a CPL filter - not the result I expected

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

I put a CPL filter on and filmed the waters of lake Tana in Bahirdar. I was not expecting to get footage like this but that is how it turned out. Note that the first 7seconds of the video is from my first attempt which I cut short since I saw the CPL filter was not properly adjusted. Landed, adjusted the filter and took off again. Also, the video in the first 7 second of the clip and the rest of the clip have identical color grading so this is not me playing with the colors in post. I haven't bothered to add a music track to the clip since, well, what is the point. Feel free to skip ahead if you get bored.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I took a few pictures as well. Again, All I did with these is play with the shadows and highlights, the blacks and whites, and add a bit of contrast. The colors are straight out of the camera. The trees look great but the water ...
DJI_0457[1].JPGDJI_0448[1].JPG

That sure is a strange colour.

Looked up Bahirdar, and from Google maps at least, Lake Tana does appear to be that colour ?

I don't think a CPL is going to do much to clear that up in footage (if it is really that colour).

If so, is this a consequence of hyacinth infestation ?
I read a report on how it is a real problem in the water there with the effect of Chara Chara wier and the Tana Beles hydropower project over time, the once spectacular Blue Lake falls waterflow is also greatly affected.

I have a good bushwalking mate in Ethiopia right now !!
He sent me a photo just yesterday of him on Mount Bwahit, he looked happy but a little out of breath at 4430m !!

Looked up Bahirdar, and from Google maps at least, Lake Tana does appear to be that colour ?
For the human eye, it really doesn't appear like that. It is either has a bronze or muddy look depending how close to the shore you look. This green goo like look is certainly not its color.
If so, is this a consequence of hyacinth infestation ?
Water hyacinth infestation is a huge problem for the lake, but not in the area I filmed. Plus, those float on the surface of the water. You can see it in the below picture, it is the plant with the lovely flowers.
IMG_20190926_085725[1].jpg

I have a good bushwalking mate in Ethiopia right now !!
He sent me a photo just yesterday of him on Mount Bwahit, he looked happy but a little out of breath at 4430m !!
That is awesome! We got plenty of those (mountains that is) I hope he has a nice adventure.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
munmunlil