DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experiments in positioning

Brojon

Reactions
So I bought some prop guards as insurance and went into teh front yard to test some things and refine my skills. Noticed some interesting stuff.
The forward obstacle sensors work better than people lead you to believe. I pointed it at some rosemary that had several tall tendrils and it stopped dead for them. I raised the height and flew past an something funny happened - apparently the prop wash pushed a tall frond down so the way was clear - in between props it popped up and the rear props gave it a mowing. ;)
I noticed that you *must* back off the throttle before the bird will move forward or backward from an obstacle stop. So I ran it up to a low tree branch and it stopped - while keeping the throttle forward I lowered the MP but it would not resume forward until I released and re-engaged.
I noticed that full flight forward it will drop altitude and not regain it. In just my front yard I noticed a foot drop in 30 feet.
I live on a street that slopes down. I set the MP for about 5 feet altitude - approximately even with the roof of my wife's Volvo - and ran it down to my neighbors yard two houses down. On the way back it almost ran into the ground - it apparently lowered itself as the terrain went down, but failed to raise back up on the return trip same path.
So I decided to experiment and again raised the MP to about the height of my wife's Volvo and backed it up over the car (to avoid forward sensors). When it got to the roof it raised its altitude to where it was 2 feet over the roof. I moved forward and it stayed at that altitude.

So anyone have any insights on these behaviors?

I live on a street that slopes down. I set the MP for about 5 feet altitude - approximately even with the roof of my wife's Volvo - and ran it down to my neighbors yard two houses down. On the way back it almost ran into the ground - it apparently lowered itself as the terrain went down, but failed to raise back up on the return trip same path.

Were you on Terrain Follow mate?

This was with standard DJI Go 4. Unaware of any terrain following settings. I know Litchi has missions where you can batch edit the waypoints to reference height at position but this was just me free flying. Besides - shouldn't terrain follow work both directions?

From the description of Terrain Follow Mode in Mavic User Manual: "However, the aircraft will not descend in downward slopes."

But as stated I was just in standard fly mode...

I understand you weren't in terrain follow. I was just responding to your comment -
Besides - shouldn't terrain follow work both directions?

As pilots, we think it should work in both directions, but DJI obviously doesn't.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61