DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[EXPIRED] Spark $289 @Target; Mavic $799

20w34w-jpg.26565

Ok, I'm not going to buy any accessories for that $289 Spark... other than those I've already ordered: :D

- RC (yes, controlling with just phone sucks)
- case
- gimbal cover and sun hood

That's it! "I guarantee it." :D

grumpy-cat-christmas-hates-it1.jpg

I would by a spark if my mavic controller would work with it. Too bad they couldn't make that happen.
From an engineering standpoint, it seems likely that the inability if the Mavic controller to work with the spark is not a hardware compatibility issue.

Spark operates solely by WiFi, not OcuSync like Mavic. Hence incompatible RCs.
As I understand it, occusync is just a software layer. All of this stuff operates in the same two RF bands, it's just a matter of what kind of protocol is implemented in software.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
As I understand it, occusync is just a software layer. All of this stuff operates in the same two RF bands, it's just a matter of what kind of protocol is implemented in software.

It's not just a matter of software - both RCs were designed from the ground up for their respective drones.

Reactions: rickw
It's not just a matter of software - both RCs were designed from the ground up for their respective drones.
OcuSync is protocol built on top of an ordinary TCP/IP stack. The RF module is a typical SDR (software defined radio) module. The Mavic runs Android kit-kat internally, or did a year ago. I'm still reading through the hak5 project where they are reverse engineering it all. For now, we'll have to agree to disagree with my original statement. :)

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
OcuSync is protocol built on top of an ordinary TCP/IP stack. The RF module is a typical SDR (software defined radio) module. The Mavic runs Android kit-kat internally, or did a year ago. I'm still reading through the hak5 project where they are reverse engineering it all. For now, we'll have to agree to disagree with my original statement. :)

Awesome, hopefully some day someone will find a way to make Mavic RC work for Spark.

It's too late for me, however - my Spark RC is coming tomorrow, woohoo! (and yes, I've broken many promises of not buying anything additional for Spark... I'm weak :D)

8AC17B6A-0E8D-4E1F-B279-244FC7A438F1.png I bought the Spark. Then on Amazon bought spare battery, controller, prop guards and a case, so far. It’s hard to stop getting more stuff.

Oh the case I got holds the Mavic and the Spark inside.

Last edited:
View attachment 26820 I bought the Spark. Then on Amazon bought spare battery, controller, prop guards and a case, so far. It’s hard to stop getting more stuff.

Oh the case I got holds the Mavic and the Spark inside.

Case for $150? Ouch!

I'm cheap: hard case for Mavic for $8 and semihard for Spark $11, and under $10 for RC.

I was eyeing that case to go with a Spark, even though I already have the Nanuk case for my Mavic.

$350 seems really reasonable still for the Spark, even if it isn't the killer deal that started this thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman