DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extremely close encounter with a bird!

That is what I thought until yesterday. This bird's trajectory was literally a helix (since I made my drone descend) with a radius of about a meter (my drone as the center). When it came close to ground, I could see that its legs were out and pointing towards the drone. It was definitely trying to grab the drone at the least.
That definitely sounds like a bird of prey.

Reactions: Vaideeshwar
Always remember that birds are fast flying straight and super fast when diving. The Peregrine Falcon is the worlds fastest getting to 389kph in a dive. The one thing that no bird can do is climb fast. What can a drone do well? Climb fast, at least compared to a bird. Therefore, when possible, ALWAYS climb as fast as possible if you are worried about a bird attack. Once well above, fly off as quickly as possible and change directions on the way and start lowering so you can safely get back and land and move somewhere else.

I find Starlings to be the worst. They are small but they will go after anything anywhere near their nests and they do so in swarms. I do think they are a bit afraid of the drone because they don't actually try to hit it but they swoop around it VERY close. I think if a prop only nicked a bird, the drone would probably stay aloft. As to ascending or descending to avoid birds. My guess, do either one as far as possible, even land if you're descending because a don't think a bird will attack a drone on the ground. When I had trouble with the Starlings, they followed me up but when I descended, they left me alone.

Wow, that was pretty darn close.

I had a close encounter with a black bird that made four passes at my drone.

Black Bird

Last edited by a moderator:
I find Starlings to be the worst. They are small but they will go after anything anywhere near their nests and they do so in swarms. I do think they are a bit afraid of the drone because they don't actually try to hit it but they swoop around it VERY close. I think if a prop only nicked a bird, the drone would probably stay aloft. As to ascending or descending to avoid birds. My guess, do either one as far as possible, even land if you're descending because a don't think a bird will attack a drone on the ground. When I had trouble with the Starlings, they followed me up but when I descended, they left me alone.
I had a similar experience while inspecting some energy infrastructure in the Amazon jungle. The birds looked like Starlings and they went nuts swarming around the drone but never hit it luckily

Blimey, you have some tall buildings, cars and people where you live ;-)
Jees, that sounds ridiculous, my apologies. I was directly over grass when the bird started circling. What I meant was that flying horizontally would mean that I would soon be over buildings/cars.

Always hard to predict with birds. Throughout Indonesia I have found Swallows to come out in force and try and intimidate the drone away.. both with the Mavic and the Inspire..clearly size does not count.. In Bali once some wild Cockatoo's emerged from a tree and massed around the Mavic..as I was only around 40ft altitude I decided just to bring it down and once they saw a human associated with the drone they went away. I often fly in New Zealand and the Harrier Hawk there is a big bird with a wingspan around a meter. Several times they have diverted to come for a very close look but never show signs of aggression. I read once the Dutch were training Eagles to intercept drones, not sure if that ended up as a working Squadron or not.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe