DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA 107 exam

Hi pilots - going to pursue taking the exam; I see prep courses offered frequently for $150-200; curious if you all have an opinion on the topic - i.e.; are they worth it? Cheaper alternatives? What experience is out there to glean from? My sincere thanks!
Hi midwestsherpa, a while back, I originally paid for an online subscription and passed my exam but the course was fairly difficult (and I don’t remember much of it, honestly). I did it with Pilot Training System, at the time. I saw that they just released a new youtube video that says that they’re releasing their drone training course for free in response to the coronavirus. Their youtube channel looks legit but I haven't looked into it personally. I'd give it a shot, to be honest.
I'll give you the link to the vid:

I too have finally come to grips with having to get fully certified if I am going to continue flying for my production company. I too thought I could just use free materials at hand but attempting that, I found it a bit confusing about just what I needed to learn. To that end I signed up with Gold Seal for no other reason other than several of my contemporaries used them with great success. I think there may actually be a sale going on at this very moment. What I like about them is the course is broken down into modules that contain 8-10 lessons ranging from 5-30 minutes apiece. The real take away for me is at the end of each module, you have the option to take a quiz based on what you just learned. If you fail or want a higher score, you either retake the test or review the module. You are almost forced to do the review, which in my case is a good thing, particularly in the Sectional Charts portion. Also there are no less than a million acronyms, many of which you need to know. Then once you have completed the modules, you can take an overall test, which apparently parallels the actually FAA Exam. IMO, it's totally worth the money. The course does NOT have a time frame and from what I can tell, is yours to keep. I am sure there are other paid courses that mirror Gold Seal so Googling Drone Certification Courses should give you several to choose from. Do the research, check reviews and even make inquiries via this forum to see who used what to get their Part 107 Certificate.
That's my 3¢ worth.
So how much did GS charge? Pardon me if you mind me asking

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78