DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA agents

Has anyone had in-person contact with an official of the FAA regarding breaking or possibly breaking sUAV rules and regulations?
I assume you mean a field agent or a phone/email/text.... No I have not, nor have I ever seen an FAA agent/employee since I have been flying drones (about 2 1/2 yrs).

Why do you ask?

I assume you mean a field agent or a phone/email/text.... No I have not, nor have I ever seen an FAA agent/employee since I have been flying drones (about 2 1/2 yrs).

Why do you ask?

I hope he didn't pay a penalty fee to some guy with a FAA(ke) safety vest on or something like that ;)

Last edited:
One of the fellows in our drone club met an FAA guy while flying in the local desert. He invited him to come speak at one of our meetings. The fellow brought his drone and put on an interesting presentation. I expected to hear about the minimum requirements to fly within FAA regulations but did not. I came away with the impression that recreational drone flyers just need to behave responsibly, avoid interference with manned aircraft and emergency operations and do not need to be overly concerned about precisely understanding the multitude of FAA regulations. Education and correcting mistakes seemed to be his primary focus versus punishing law breakers. I enjoyed hearing his talk.

One of the fellows in our drone club met an FAA guy while flying in the local desert. He invited him to come speak at one of our meetings. The fellow brought his drone and put on an interesting presentation. I expected to hear about the minimum requirements to fly within FAA regulations but did not. I came away with the impression that recreational drone flyers just need to behave responsibly, avoid interference with manned aircraft and emergency operations and do not need to be overly concerned about precisely understanding the multitude of FAA regulations. Education and correcting mistakes seemed to be his primary focus versus punishing law breakers. I enjoyed hearing his talk.
This is what I would have expected. Good.

This statement really backs up everything that I have read regarding FAA agent interactions. There primary stance is to educate before penalizing.

Reactions: Rich55

Why do you ask?
I suspected that they were rare, and that "field agents" don't exist. So basically there is no enforcement body for all the sUAS rules comparable to police for criminal code violations. Lots of conclusions can be drawn herefrom.

I’ve heard repeatedly that the main way you get in trouble is someone turning you in or reporting video you have made..

A long time ago, '60s, I worked for a FBO in a big hangar next to the main terminal at our city's airport where the GADO - General Aviation District Office was upstairs and the FSS - Flight Service Station was across the hallway. Then, in the '90s I worked with them again as a systems analyst putting together an 'airport inventory system' and a couple other apps for our state's Dept of Aviation.

These guys were the best, all about safety and service. I kept my flight instructor rating current for a long time attending their seminars, and saw them off to several situations in the field that needed them.

Now their mission's expanded and they're the FSDO - Flight Standards District Office. There aren't/weren't many of them and unless there was a crash or something for them to investigate they were close by.

Since I was a kid flight-instructor, 18 yo at the start, they were all over my students and a few times when I sent students off to a 'designated examiner' at some county airport for their checkrides an FAA examiner would pull the recommendation and ride with them. As I grew up and they'd passed all the private and commercial pilots I sent to them they let them go to Pappy Ellis or one of the other designated examiners. They rode with me for all my ratings, were always fair, not out to get anybody that didn't deserve it, IMHO.

If there's something they want to see, maybe a waiver for night-flight or flight beyond visual range, they can go look into it. I sold a FPVLR-mod'd Inspire controller I didn't need to a guy up North who was getting ready to meet with an FAA examiner to waiver him and his equipment for power and pipeline inspections.

One morning this board here lit up with a video that clearly demonstrated flight beyond visual range, way above 400 feet, and in controlled airspace. MavicPilots were on it in a minute, had a FSDO guy in that city asking for help within a few more minutes, one of the MavicPilots tracked the culprit down for him. I didn't hear the outcome, but the FAA guy was quick to engage in the situation.

They're there for us in lots of ways and places...

Has anyone had in-person contact with an official of the FAA regarding breaking or possibly breaking sUAV rules and regulations?
If you assume that you broke the law, would expect an agent to contact you it's really in very extraordinary cases likeyou flying over a stadium full of people and accidentally crashed over someone. Not only you will receive a call from the FAA, also you will get visitors from the police and the FBI.

During my "Manned Flying" I've met several FAA Inspectors but that's different because we were AT the airport. I've met 1 FAA inspector at an R/C Fly-In at Triple Tree Aerodome in SC (he's an R/C enthusiast) and I've talked to one FAA Inspector on the phone back in early 2016. Someone reported me "anonymously" for flying without a Section 333. The conversation lasted less than 5 minutes once I gave him all of my credentials etc. Super nice guy and told me, "Call me if you ever have any questions or concerns. Sorry to have wasted your time but when we get a report we are required to follow-up to the best of our ability."

Reactions: tleedom and macoman
Job in Daytona Beach was next to the airport, actually across the street from the runway. After checking in and receiving permission, with the airport, to fly. I found out that DJI, though, had me locked out when I attempted to fly. While contemplating this issue a FAA Inspector shows up.

My hemorrhoids immediately went into pucker up mode! The Inspector put me at ease, told me he was here to help. Told me how to put a flight plan request in to the FAA. My new best friend FAA Inspector had me text him as soon as my flight plan was filed so he could speed up the approval process. Upon approval I then forwarded it to DJI. At the appointed time DJI would unlock my drone and I was able to fly.

So on a Friday, if not the weekend, I would request approval. By Tuesdayish I would have FAA approval which I forwarded to DJI. DJI would unlock my drone during my allotted time and I would fly on Thursday morning. Rinse and repeat continued for the next two months.

This Inspector was Class A person, competent, good at his job, and eager to expand the horizons of our industry!

Attachments

• Flight Authorization Granted!.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Gmail - DJI Flysafe Unlock application is created.pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: DavidNDC
When I was studying for the 107 Exam I ordered a local sectional chart from an on-line pilot supply shop (kneeboards, Garmins, oxygen stuff, training programs, shirts, caps, etc. So I am now on their mailing list. Today's catalog had some humorous signs, like "It takes only two things to fly -airspeed and money." And this one:
FAA MISSION STATEMENT:
We're not happy
Until you're not happy​

That's a good oldie. Another was a sign saying, Hi, I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help you... In all my years of flying I was only ramp checked twice, and that happened in the same month but in two different states.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661