DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Drone ID Proposal- Round Two

No - that is incorrect. The broadcast requirement is just that - a requirement to broadcast the data. It's just like ADS-B - there is no requirement for anyone to be receiving. Once again - directly from the proposal:

View attachment 89795
So if manned aircraft can’t receive the signal and the UAS transmitting the signal is out of range of the USS, where is the safety of manned aircraft this is supposed to implement?

It is non-existent and is self defeating. As has been said by many on this forum, this is strictly being implemented to allow big business to usurp the low altitude airspace from the hobbyist and small business 107 certified pilots.

This is all for delivery drones to fly free while the low budget hobbyist will be restricted to a flying field. The other inspection UAS craft for power lines, gas lines, and railroads will be flying over the right of ways for those utilities and not be a problem. The small business 107 pilot will see a major increase in expenses and most likely will be driven out of business due to the price increases that will result.

Even cavemen could read the writing on the wall.

Reactions: strdr
So if manned aircraft can’t receive the signal and the UAS transmitting the signal is out of range of the USS, where is the safety of manned aircraft this is supposed to implement?

Firstly, it's not just about the safety of manned aircraft - it's a traffic avoidance system for manned aircraft and other sUAS and a mechanism for LE to identify sUAS. Secondly, low-flying manned aircraft in remote areas will be able to detect the broadcasts directly - just like anyone on the ground. Thirdly, congested traffic areas, such as around airports, will almost certainly have receivers.

Last edited:
I'm shocked there aren't more comments thus far. We're (1) week in and as of right now (keep in mind there could be a slight delay in comments being "posted") there are only 2,766 comments received.

Maybe some people are just waiting to see if others are sincere and comment... I dunno but I would have thought there would be 10X that (or more) by now.

For anyone who is contemplating a comment here are some tips from the FAA (and they are legit so pay them some attention):

Wonder how many here don't have a HAM license and regularity operate on more than 25mw? Same thing in my eyes. Just keep flying safe and no one will bother you. Might have to seek places a little more off the beaten path but so be it. The cops around here don't give a crap about some guy out dodging trees with his little home built FPV quad. They really don't. More likely they will want a ride.

How many fly FPV with out a spotter? etc, etc, etc. I just ignore the BS and keep flying. I can hear it now. WELL I hope you have the money to pay the twenty five thousand dollar fine when you get caught. Yeah sure.

Reactions: xspwhite
I'm shocked there aren't more comments thus far. We're (1) week in and as of right now (keep in mind there could be a slight delay in comments being "posted") there are only 2,766 comments received.

Maybe some people are just waiting to see if others are sincere and comment... I dunno but I would have thought there would be 10X that (or more) by now.

For anyone who is contemplating a comment here are some tips from the FAA (and they are legit so pay them some attention):

count me in the group who is waiting for some good guidance from drone advocates (here and elsewhere) on the key points to comment on. we still have almost 2 months before commenting closes

.....I just ignore the BS and keep flying. I can hear it now. WELL I hope you have the money to pay the twenty five thousand dollar fine when you get caught. Yeah sure.

I'm confident your Nashville TN FSDO would love to have a conversation with you about this. Blatant disregards for the industry is among the worst possible ideas ever suggested.

There were around 800 or so on Sunday when I started mine and will return to tweak it prior to sending in my final comment. I wonder what their method is to read and categorize them.

I'm confident your Nashville TN FSDO would love to have a conversation with you about this. Blatant disregards for the industry is among the worst possible ideas ever suggested.

lol, I'm sure they patrol the thousands of back country acres in TN looking for people flying quads. I live on two acres that I fly on every week. Ain't going to stop any time soon. I don't have a blatant disregard for the industry, only lying freedom grabbing bureaucrats.

i like this comment from an experienced pilot from the comment section of the federal register on drone Id rule.

Comment from Brett Tossell

The is a Comment on the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Proposed Rule: Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems
For related information, Open Docket Folder
Comment
As a 10,000+ hour ATP, former flight instructor, and Part 107 certificate holder this proposed NPRM is poorly reasoned, based on fallacy, harmful towards an emerging industry, and a detriment to education and our future.

As a professional pilot, aircraft owner, and UAS operator - I fail to see the unsolvable safety risks posed by UAS operation. I've not been able to find the accidents, the fatalities, or the damages caused by UAS. This burdensome regulation punishes, and inhibits the growth of an emerging industry by onerous, overreaching regulation. Flying in my private aircraft, or in the jets at work - I wouldn't fear hitting a UAS any more than I'd fear a bird strike. See and avoid seems to be working. Altitude segmentation and separation works. I don't fly my UAS above our current limits, nor do I expect to see aircraft flying at or below treetop height. We already have exclusion around airports by regulation - and requiring transponders won't stop someone from operating nefariously by intent.

The technology that is UAS is rapidly developing. No doubt commercial interests will earn huge profits by capitalizing off this market - in delivery of goods and services, and the sales, operation and service of the UAS themselves. However the garage tinkerer, the students, and amature engineers that experiment and play with these technologies should not be inhibited in their pursuits. Mandating transponders (or other means of electronic ID) will be a burden of compliance that only raises the barrier to entry.

FPV, drones, Remote Controlled aircraft and the like are a tremendous draw for young people. They excite kids about science, math and engineering. They're open and accessible to kids, and something that really engages students well - capturing their minds and perhaps helping to shape their career choices. Locking these hobbies down to only certain areas closes the door to this opportunity. I can speak from experience - as my local AMA flying field is fenced in, closed off, and only open to those that have gate access, not the general public. Kids can't even come spectate. However when I fly my FPV and model aircraft at the local park, I get asked daily by children and adults about the hobby, and how they can become involved. Closing the door to this opportunity will do to UAS what product liability did to General Aviation in the mid 1980's. You'll kill it, and lock it out to the general public leaving it only for the corporations and the wealthy.

I think you're potentially closing off opportunity for the organic growth and development of a burgeoning technology. You're taking the hobby away from children and hobbyists, and citing threats that have never materialized and can be addressed by other technology.

Leave a door open to the tinkerers. Let the garage innovators build, test and fly things in their backyards, the local parks, and at schools. Put the burden on commercial operators to fly higher, above where the amature builders and student projects fly. Internet access isn't everywhere - and those places where networks haven't yet reached shouldn't be off limits to the general UAS flying public - they're our skies too.

I hope you take these thoughts into consideration, and don't simply bow to the commercial interests and lock out the general public citing risks and threats that are being used to close the door on an exciting field of innovation.
Excellent response for the NPRM. If the author would add one more paragraph to include a suggestion on a counter offer fix proposal.

Good question - the answer is not completely clear yet, at least to me. A device without cellular is still capable of connecting to the internet, via wifi, and so one could argue that the lack of wifi in that situation is no different to the lack of cellular signal, or the lack of coverage of the specific cellular provider that you use. That then simply puts it into the "capable" but "not connected to the internet" category of Standard Remote ID, and so you could fly with just the broadcast method.
So no cell service, no internet, in rural areas we can still take off or will we be bricked? After reading hundreds of comments from flight instructors, pilots, and seemingly intelligent people it appears to me that uav's will not be allowed to fly in rural areas that do not have cell and/or internet coverage. I find it hard to believe that all these people are incorrect in their interpretation of these proposed rules.

I see lots of questions and speculation on what the FAA proposals will say you can and can't do. The FAA proposal document https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/12/31/2019-28100/remote-identification-of-unmanned-aircraft-systems

has a bunch of example scenarios listed that may or may not help understand what they're proposing. I'd suggest at a minimum to go to the document and read those examples at Section X, sub section G. No point going round in circles wondering how it may affect you.

That's not correct - the 400 ft limit is for Limited Remote ID when you can access the internet.

View attachment 89573
First, what kind of transmitter is the FAA planning to have us purchase to add to the drones that we currently fly? Secondly, who is going to be monitoring our flights? Will there be a dedicated person sitting there watching for each and every occasional drone flight that might pop up for 15 minutes of flight. It does not sound like it will be part of air traffic control as the ADS-B is for all aircraft. Maybe the whole system will be something that allows identification if there is someone flying where they shouldn't be flying. In that way we will be left alone, an individual does something stupid. At that time they could review records of recent flights. Who knows at this point.

Reactions: strdr and xspwhite
First, what kind of transmitter is the FAA planning to have us purchase to add to the drones that we currently fly? Secondly, who is going to be monitoring our flights? Will there be a dedicated person sitting there watching for each and every occasional drone flight that might pop up for 15 minutes of flight. It does not sound like it will be part of air traffic control as the ADS-B is for all aircraft. Maybe the whole system will be something that allows identification if there is someone flying where they shouldn't be flying. In that way we will be left alone, an individual does something stupid. At that time they could review records of recent flights. Who knows at this point.
Isn't it more a case of if an illegal activity takes place, the FAA can go back and find out who the drone was registered to?

Isn't it more a case of if an illegal activity takes place, the FAA can go back and find out who the drone was registered to?

I am hoping that is the reason for this. I'm sure it is something that will be used actively for commercial drones, UPS, etc., but for hobbyists, it will be used for enforcement for those breaking the rules.

So no cell service, no internet, in rural areas we can still take off or will we be bricked? After reading hundreds of comments from flight instructors, pilots, and seemingly intelligent people it appears to me that uav's will not be allowed to fly in rural areas that do not have cell and/or internet coverage. I find it hard to believe that all these people are incorrect in their interpretation of these proposed rules.

And yet they are all incorrect. Have you read the document? It's perfectly clear that internet service is not a prerequisite for flying under Standard Remote ID, quite apart from the obvious point that it would be completely self-defeating if it were.

IF the UAS can Broadcast the data itself then it can fly in rural/noncellular areas.

Reactions: Thomas B
Most illegal flights will be by those that are not registered. So we are in the same boat as before, except those that do follow the rules will be more restricted than we are now. Sounds like a lose-lose situation.

Reactions: strdr

It's all described in the proposal - the broadcast will be on wifi frequencies that the DJI aircraft radios are already using.
Secondly, who is going to be monitoring our flights? Will there be a dedicated person sitting there watching for each and every occasional drone flight that might pop up for 15 minutes of flight. It does not sound like it will be part of air traffic control as the ADS-B is for all aircraft. Maybe the whole system will be something that allows identification if there is someone flying where they shouldn't be flying. In that way we will be left alone, an individual does something stupid. At that time they could review records of recent flights. Who knows at this point.

You would know if you read the proposal, or even just the rest of this thread. I'm not going to explain the basics individually for everyone who can't be bothered to read.

And yet they are all incorrect. Have you read the document? It's perfectly clear that internet service is not a prerequisite for flying under Standard Remote ID, quite apart from the obvious point that it would be completely self-defeating if it were.

ok then that is another criticism I have of the regs, it takes a nuclear physicist to fathom the fine print!

Reactions: badaxed
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne