DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA DRONE REGISTRATION

What can realistically happen if someone never registers their drone? A lot of people are saying not to.

The US is full of people who (rightly in general) want nothing to do with registering everything they own. Pushback is not registering. Of course the government is empowered and do come up with these silly laws and regulations.

So one day you're flying your drone at sunrise along a nice stream. Great video in the peaceful calm morning light.

Along comes deputy Drooly. For some reason he keeps being assigned the graveyard shift. He's been up all night trying to catch speeders and has nothing to show for it. He's irritable.

He sees you and he has no real clue what to do but he will investigate.

Scenario A: you have no permit. So when he asks for one (not really having a clue) and you have nothing to show, then at last he can make his day at your expense in time; and if he digs in, even a fine from the FAA.

Scenario B: You whip out your permit and explain what you're doing and that it's in full compliance with the Federal Aviation Administration (don't say FAA - say "Federal...").

Scenario A wasted time and might result in seizure and a fine.

Scenario B wins you a newly curious friend who can't do bubkis legally.

Ok I have a question when you register you're drone with FAA which I have done and I had to send my Mavic out for repair of gimble what happens if the send me a Drone back with a different serial number on it ? Do I have to re register? What happens if someone gets my old drone after it is fixed and they try to register?

You register "you" - not the drone. So if you have 3 drones, they all have the same reg. on them. They want traceability to the owner/operator - not the drone.

Reactions: Arcadian501
Valid question. I don't recall when I registered if it required the serial number.

I think the philosophy is that the sticker on the drone connects it to the registrant.

If I had a body swap I would just move me registration sticker.

Valid question. I don't recall when I registered if it required the serial number.

I think the philosophy is that the sticker on the drone connects it to the registrant.

I just registered this a.m. No mention at all about the drone itself (model, SERNO).

I don't recall when I registered if it required the serial number.
The serial number is not needed when registering as a hobby flyer. You'll only need the serial number if registering an aircraft for commercial purposes.

Reactions: SteelFlyer
The serial number is not needed when registering as a hobby flyer. You'll only need the serial number if registering an aircraft for commercial purposes.

And if registering for commercial purposes you need a different registration number for each drone.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: mango416
I paid my $5 and got my numbers. I just took a sharpie and wrote my numbers inside the battery compartment of the mp.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Ok I have a question when you register you're drone with FAA which I have done and I had to send my Mavic out for repair of gimble what happens if the send me a Drone back with a different serial number on it ? Do I have to re register? What happens if someone gets my old drone after it is fixed and they try to register?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
You don't register an individual drone with the FAA. You as the owner/operator have to be registered. You are assigned a number that you afix to each of the drones you own. You do not need to provide the serial numbers of drones to the FAA. Good for 3 years.

So if your a Visa,Green card holder or an illegal alien---you don't have to register. ???

No....if you are going to fly a drone in the US, regardless of your citizenship, status or planet of birth, or where you live.....you need to register with the FAA for five bucks......if you plan to fly it in the US.... and put the number on a sticker on the drone(s) you will be flying.

Ew. You know you can't ever sell your Mavic now.

This will be the only time I could afford a toy like this. I don't plan on selling any time soon. And if I did, blocking the numbers back out with a sharpie is no problem either.

This will be the only time I could afford a toy like this. I don't plan on selling any time soon. And if I did, blocking the numbers back out with a sharpie is no problem either.

Fair enough, but suppose you did want to sell it. I certainly wouldn't want it, I'd rather buy it new.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique