DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Dronezone airspace authorizations officially available for recreational pilots now

Good news for drone pilots... I hope it doesn’t really take 45 days to get the clearance.

If what I was planning was important I would definitely give it a 45 head start just in case. Just like Part 107 operations those "out of the ordinary" requests (Which is what Drone Zone is for) require multiple sets of eyes and approvals. Sometimes they can mistakenly "sit on a desk" while someone is out or sick.

Reactions: Thomas B
Another reason besides "out of the box" is when LAANC is not available in the controlled space in question. There's still a few of those.

This is what I got when I clicked the DroneZone link for recreational authorizations at non-LAANC airports:
1569773970319.png

Try applying for a specific area by map coordinates of longitude and latitude that define the area.

After logging into my recreational DroneZone account, I get the Page Not Found error after clicking on How to Apply for an Airspace Authorization as shown below. I can't even get to a place where I can enter any long/lat data.

1569792347078.png

Disregard.
If I click on Manage Airspace Authorizations on my DroneZone "home page" (even though I do not have an authorization) it allows me to create one. Still no ability to get the step-by-step guidance. It gives the page not found error.

Disregard.
If I click on Manage Airspace Authorizations on my DroneZone "home page" (even though I do not have an authorization) it allows me to create one. Still no ability to get the step-by-step guidance. It gives the page not found error.
Glad you found it. They will contact you by email if they have questions on your application.

Reactions: JAW
Received this email this morning from the FAA - they are still saying up to 45 days for authorizations

FAA DroneZone Available for
Recreational Flyers

Upgrades to the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) DroneZone now allow recreational flyers to request airspace authorizations in controlled airspace where the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) is not available.

Airspace authorizations can take up to 45 days to process and approve through the DroneZone.

Recreational flyers may request to fly up to the designated altitude ceiling in an Unmanned Aircraft Systems Facility Map (UASFM) and only for daytime operations.

LAANC is a collaboration between the FAA and industry that directly supports the safe integration of Unmanned Aircraft Systems into the nation's airspace, expediting the time it takes for drone pilots to receive authorizations to fly under 400 feet in controlled airspace.

My solution for my practice area, which is 4 square miles and encompasses a large area of class D airspace, was an application for long term clearance through the FAA’s DroneZone site. It took about 3 weeks to get a long term waiver. My clearance is valid through August 31, 2021.
6871B335-0AA7-403D-A91F-AB6CC10E7DBF.jpeg

Unfortunately hobbyists won't likely be granted waivers. The idea was to have something that hobbyists could use to get authorizations when not obtainable electronically. We still have to adhere to the facilities map ceilng. If the square we want to fly in has a zero in it, the answer is NO. It won't matter if you're 4 miles out from the airport and claiming you'll fly lower than the trees or the high tension power wires 3 miles from the airport crossing the flight path that made the ceiling zero.

Agreed... likely no one gets a long term permission in a zero altitude airport zone... and even short permissions there are very hard to get. Especially off the ends of runways.

But for flying that may get into class D airspace or more open it is worth a try. The app is easy and online. The only proof will be trying it... quick to do, and the worst that can happen is denial... at which point got AirMap or Kittyhawk, etc. for a timed clearance.

My son had tried to get an authorization thru Dronezone just this week -- filed it a few minutes after he got that email
Trying to get an authorization to fly 4000 feet from a small airport runway, somerset airport in bedminster, NJ
I'm doing a job at this location and we are trying to document the every day progress, it's a historic site that I'm removing a dam

Anyway, he filled out the form and just last night got an email stating there was activity on his request -- the activity was that the request was cancelled -- no explanation, just cancelled

Now what?

My son had tried to get an authorization thru Dronezone just this week -- filed it a few minutes after he got that email
Trying to get an authorization to fly 4000 feet from a small airport runway, somerset airport in bedminster, NJ
I'm doing a job at this location and we are trying to document the every day progress, it's a historic site that I'm removing a dam

Anyway, he filled out the form and just last night got an email stating there was activity on his request -- the activity was that the request was cancelled -- no explanation, just cancelled

Now what?

I've been out of the drone loop for the entire summer and it looks like a lot has changed, so I could be wrong. If so I'm sure someone will correct me (at least I hope they do). My first guess is that since this is a commercial application of a drone and your son is (seems to be?) making a request as a hobbyist his request was denied bc he wouldn't be eligible to fly commercially anyway, so the waiver request was moot.

Now what?
AirMap, Kittyhawk....

Now what?

That airport doesn't appear to even be in controlled airspace so you likely don't even need authorization to fly there.

Nothing commercial about it -- he's not paid by anyone -- Just documenting the removal process for my own personal use -- I'm the guy running the hammer and I'd like to see what we accomplished from the air

I actually don't think it's so much authorization, just that the airport should be notified of our intentions. Maybe it is the wrong use of Dronezone.

Either way he's contacting the director of the airport tomorrow -- I told him not to ask permission but to notify of his intentions -- Really only need 150ft ceiling max for what he wants to do -- I am hoping that he can fly a few times a day, get a time lapse type thing spread out over 10 or 12 days. We live about 20 minutes away so it's realistic for him to be there multiple times a day.

Nothing commercial about it -- he's not paid by anyone -- Just documenting the removal process for my own personal use -- I'm the guy running the hammer and I'd like to see what we accomplished from the air

I actually don't think it's so much authorization, just that the airport should be notified of our intentions. Maybe it is the wrong use of Dronezone.

Either way he's contacting the director of the airport tomorrow -- I told him not to ask permission but to notify of his intentions -- Really only need 150ft ceiling max for what he wants to do -- I am hoping that he can fly a few times a day, get a time lapse type thing spread out over 10 or 12 days. We live about 20 minutes away so it's realistic for him to be there multiple times a day.

Because that flight doesn't have recreational intent, the pilot would still likely need a part 107 certificate, even if "no money changes hands". The flights are to assist a project and that's enough to fall into Part 107 "commercial" rules.

As far as the nearby airport, there's no need to notify the nearby airport if it's in non-controlled airspace, or get their permission, etc. You just need to stay clear of manned airplanes in the area. These rules were changed several months back to only require authorization for controlled airspace.

Because that flight doesn't have recreational intent, the pilot would still likely need a part 107 certificate, even if "no money changes hands". The flights are to assist a project and that's enough to fall into Part 107 "commercial" rules.

As far as the nearby airport, there's no need to notify the nearby airport if it's in non-controlled airspace, or get their permission, etc. You just need to stay clear of manned airplanes in the area. These rules were changed several months back to only require authorization for controlled airspace.

I never once said assist a project -- I said document a project.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22