DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA FINES PHILADELPHIA DRONE PILOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
By his own admission, the FAA has been sending him letters every month for a year. Apparently, he didn't get the message.

I've only seen a few of his videos but each one was BVLOS.
He claims he uses fire house lights which if true wouldnegate that claim

So here is an example of a guy who does so many things wrong and then cries "woe is me" because he didn't know, he didn't do anything terrible, everyone is out to get him, the FAA has nothing better to do, it's a paper plane, etc.... Waa, waa, waa. Unfortunately it is the attitude that many drone enthusiasts take. It is the attitude that reflects badly on those of us who do learn the regulations and do our best to always fly legally. It is unfortunate that when we call out such illegal acts (even on this very forum), it is usually us who get admonished by the administrators too.

In this case:
  • He got the first FAA letter on 12/29/2019, and did NOTHING. Strike one.
  • Lawyers want large sums of money to even represent him. This is because he is a pain and he is WRONG. If he was in the right and being unfairly targeted by the FAA, I can bet that a good attorney would represent him pro bono.
  • He had a monetized partner YouTube channel which automatically puts him in Part 107 territory. He says he spent months and thousands of hours learning his drome inside and out. However he apparently spent ZERO time learning about FAA regulations. Strike Two.
  • He admittedly (and there is video proof) that he exceeded 400 feet AGL multiple times. Strike three.
  • Let's take just one sample flight ( Mod Removed Offensive Video. )where he breaks many FAA regulations. BTW this is a geographical area I know very very well, so I know what's below him and above him:
    • He flies almost a mile out with his Mini 2 which is way beyond VLOS. Strike four.
    • He is flying over busy city streets and there is no way he could avoid flying over both pedestrians and moving vehicles without having VLOS on the drone, and his FPV pointed straight ahead. Strike five.
    • He flew not just a bit over 400 feet but he flew at almost 1100 feet AGL. Note that if he had his Part 107 and carefully planned his flight path closer to the Comcast tower he could have legally flown above it. He even mentions in the video when he dismisses the altitude warning that he is within 400 feet of tall buildings...so he obviously has done the reading but chooses not to actually follow the regulations. His flight was 100% illegal. Strike six.
So he can blame the FAA, he can blame the guy he calls a troll that supposedly reported him, he can say that it's a paper airplane, he can continue to play the victim, but the fact of the matter is that he flew illegally (and yes recklessly in many cases), and that he continues to blame others instead of taking responsibility. Sorry, this is not a case of a guy getting unfairly targeted by the FAA, but rather a case of one guy who decided that none of the rules apply to him.

Just my $ 0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
He should have studied the rules and tested for part 107 certification if he was going to use his footage for YouTube. No sense in getting paid for breaking the law, documenting it, and the rest of us follow the rules. I bet that 150$ he was looking at seems like a good idea now. Man, that’s a lot of money.

I have not heard anything about this scenario prior to this thread. Based on my limited knowledge I agree with PhantomFandom and his detailed post. He added his $0.02 and I will add to that so we are up to $0.04!

I will not re-state PhantomFandom's point except to say well stated. As a pilot for over 36 years there is one additional point that needs to be stated. This guy flaunted the rules and repeatedly ignored FAA notifications. Dumb, really dumb. My airplane pilot perspective is one of setting examples. Sounds like he is making money via YouTube. He is showing potentially 10s of thousands (or more) of drone pilots and future drone pilots that this ok to do. The damage he created by his videos is spread far and wide. I have seen this type of airplane pilot as well and neither foster safety.

I would expect a higher fine than that if I flaunted the FAA notification as an airplane pilot. Did I mention dumb, really dumb.

Ok PhantomFandom now there is $0.04 on the table.

As a pilot for over 36 years there is one additional point that needs to be stated.
It seems to be a common thread that those of us who have flown as a pilot in the cockpit generally have a healthier respect for the rules and regulations, as well as first-hand knowledge of the risks and dangers present if we do not follow those rules. Maybe it is because "safety first and foremost" is drilled into our heads from that very first flight lesson, or perhaps we know that a mistake can cost us not only our lives but the lives of passengers in the back and innocent civilians on the ground. Those who take a cavalier attitude to flying a "drone" don't feel that level of danger because they are not putting their own life at peril by making a mistake.

This guy flaunted the rules and repeatedly ignored FAA notifications. Dumb, really dumb.
Idiotic, reckless, and a can-do-no-wrong attitude.

My airplane pilot perspective is one of setting examples. Sounds like he is making money via YouTube. He is showing potentially 10s of thousands (or more) of drone pilots and future drone pilots that this ok to do. The damage he created by his videos is spread far and wide. I have seen this type of airplane pilot as well and neither foster safety.
PRECISELY !! Set examples for others and be a good steward for this wonderful hobby/business.

Ok PhantomFandom now there is $0.04 on the table.
Glad you chimed in and also respect the rules and regulations.

Interesting read...

First, if he is doing this on You Tube and getting paid, then he is not flying as a hobbyist or recreationally. He is flying under Part 107, and he needs a FAA certificate. Second, his violations apparently are well documented since there is video evidence. Thirdly, these kind of antics brings disparage to legitimate commercial drone pilots. I have no sympathy for this man.

Read the story, Read the posts and as a new drone pilot, will say thank you to the fella that has been.....................................................for showing me, def showing me what not to do with my drone.

Sorry, but even someone new to the hobby can understand that you can push things to far

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I just have to add...I only watched one video .... I'm no fortune teller but this time I could see the future.

by the way...Any letter one receives from the FAA no matter how inconsequential includes these kind words. "any thing you say in response to this letter can be held against you" so much for the Friendly Aviation Administration

I watched as many videos as i could and collected a series of DJI Messages I have never seen before and most likely never will.

Screenshot 11-26-2020 22.48.23.jpg Screenshot 11-26-2020 22.51.10.jpgScreenshot 11-26-2020 23.09.00.jpg Screenshot 11-26-2020 23.14.09.jpg
Screenshot 11-26-2020 23.21.23.jpg Screenshot 11-26-2020 23.22.16.jpg Screenshot 11-26-2020 23.29.41.jpg Screenshot 11-26-2020 23.31.09.jpg

Common sense : It goes a long way and DJI was there every step of the way to try to warn of the dangers .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water.

So here is an example of a guy who does so many things wrong and then cries "woe is me" because he didn't know, he didn't do anything terrible, everyone is out to get him, the FAA has nothing better to do, it's a paper plane, etc.... Waa, waa, waa. Unfortunately it is the attitude that many drone enthusiasts take. It is the attitude that reflects badly on those of us who do learn the regulations and do our best to always fly legally. It is unfortunate that when we call out such illegal acts (even on this very forum), it is usually us who get admonished by the administrators too.

In this case:
  • He got the first FAA letter on 12/29/2019, and did NOTHING. Strike one.
  • Lawyers want large sums of money to even represent him. This is because he is a pain and he is WRONG. If he was in the right and being unfairly targeted by the FAA, I can bet that a good attorney would represent him pro bono.
  • He had a monetized partner YouTube channel which automatically puts him in Part 107 territory. He says he spent months and thousands of hours learning his drome inside and out. However he apparently spent ZERO time learning about FAA regulations. Strike Two.
  • He admittedly (and there is video proof) that he exceeded 400 feet AGL multiple times. Strike three.
  • Let's take just one sample flight (
    ) where he breaks many FAA regulations. BTW this is a geographical area I know very very well, so I know what's below him and above him:
    • He flies almost a mile out with his Mini 2 which is way beyond VLOS. Strike four.
    • He is flying over busy city streets and there is no way he could avoid flying over both pedestrians and moving vehicles without having VLOS on the drone, and his FPV pointed straight ahead. Strike five.
    • He flew not just a bit over 400 feet but he flew at almost 1100 feet AGL. Note that if he had his Part 107 and carefully planned his flight path closer to the Comcast tower he could have legally flown above it. He even mentions in the video when he dismisses the altitude warning that he is within 400 feet of tall buildings...so he obviously has done the reading but chooses not to actually follow the regulations. His flight was 100% illegal. Strike six.
So he can blame the FAA, he can blame the guy he calls a troll that supposedly reported him, he can say that it's a paper airplane, he can continue to play the victim, but the fact of the matter is that he flew illegally (and yes recklessly in many cases), and that he continues to blame others instead of taking responsibility. Sorry, this is not a case of a guy getting unfairly targeted by the FAA, but rather a case of one guy who decided that none of the rules apply to him.

Just my $ 0.02
Wow! Amazing footage & commentary, but is he really off the heroin these days? Now one can understand why drones are so useful for inspection of high-rise buildings! But as you say, so many infractions of regulations one hardly knows where to start, but you had a darned good stab at it! Had he tried this caper, say in London UK, never mind warning letters, I could imagine a British "Bobby" turning up to "feel his collar" with the words "'Ello, 'ello sir, wot's all this then? You're nicked!", before throwing him the back of a "Black Maria" paddy wagon for transportation to the Tower of London!

Last edited:
I have spoken with the FAA several times and I can tell you that they are not really out to get anyone, but that they do have an agenda to get people to get there 107 so they can fly stress free.

Had this guy just responded to the Warning Letter , he might not have gotten any infractions at all.

There first and only concern was he was flying within a 5 mile distance next to the Air Port with all most all of his flights.

Despite this Negative in his life, he weighed 600 pounds , was on heroin for 20 years and the drone for what ever reason saved his life by getting him to loose weight and get off drugs . He likely never gave those warnings a second thought.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water
(I have spoken with the FAA several times and I can tell you that they are not really out to get anyone, but that they do have an agenda to get people to get there 107 so they can fly stress free.)

Stress free, having a 107 does not make you fly stress free. Unless you are out to make money fly as a hobbyist and have less restrictions, and just follow the rules.

Reactions: Slade
Stress free, having a 107 does not make you fly stress free.
Having a better and more comprehensive knowledge of the NAS certainly should make you fly with less stress. The part 107 exam is heavily concentrated on this and other important regulations which make you a better pilot. There is nothing (absolutely nothing) that is more stressful about having a Part 107 certificate in your picket.

Unless you are out to make money
Making money is not the only reason to get a Part 107 certificate. Even if you don't make money from it there are other conditions under which a Part 107 is required. Even if not required, it certainly doesn't hurt to have one.

fly as a hobbyist and have less restrictions,
A hobbyist does not have less restrictions than a Part 107 pilot. In fact, a Part 107 pilot can fly under either set of rules and thus has more flexibility than a non Part 107 pilot.

(I have spoken with the FAA several times and I can tell you that they are not really out to get anyone, but that they do have an agenda to get people to get there 107 so they can fly stress free.)

Stress free, having a 107 does not make you fly stress free. Unless you are out to make money fly as a hobbyist and have less restrictions, and just follow the rules.

Let Clarify this :

Many forum members have asked questions about if they need there 107 to fly in a specific place such as from where you work. It would seem like you should be able to fly from where you work , however the FAA special agents will tell you otherwise. Flying from your work place is as the Agents like to use a Slippery slope , and really should require a 107.

Than we have those that want to video there friends wedding and just give them the video for free and this is also according the FAA special agents another slippery slope and requires a 107 also.

At the end of every question you might have in regards to flying is the message from the FAA special agent it is best just to get your 107 so you dont to have to worry about those issues.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Air 2 in the Rain and Float on Water.

? that guy has a bean bag for a brain, just listen to him. Through a net over him, he’s crazy. If he can’t pay and has to do time instead, then it’s my $. Bad for the sport, and anyone below.... wow

no excuse

I can't say anything for or against his case, because I don't know all the facts.
Just like in a disagreement between a husband and wife, two sides to every issue.

Our Facebook group had a member that we knew he were breaking the rules just like this guy. We warn him that posting videos was the proof. And.... then he was gone. Made everything private so only letting the ones he wanted to see it was allowed. It saved him for now. We told him it was just a matter of time.

Just like we always say Duck tape can fix almost everything but it cannot fix stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev