DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

faa.gov vs drone-registration.net

bobjonesx

Reactions
When I purchased my Mavic Pro, I dutifully registered at
FAADroneZone
I paid the $5 and received a registration number.

I recently lost my drone and went here
Lost Drone Form - Report Lost Drone - Drone Registration
This appears to be a government site (????). Yes???
But they have no record of me. (Used the same email address.) I have to register again and pay $47.99. What an odd number?!
Suddenly I am suspicious. Is this a total scam?

Assuming it is a scan, to whom should I report a drone loss?
I lost it in the woods but know within 35 feet where it should be, and have searched for 3 days. So I am supposing someone found it and took it (with good intentions or otherwise, who knows). I had my registration info in the battery compartment (should they happen to look).

At any rate, I wish to report it as missing so that I am, in some sense, no longer the owner of it and no longer legally responsible should the other person fly it illegally.

When I purchased my Mavic Pro, I dutifully registered at
FAADroneZone
I paid the $5 and received a registration number.

I recently lost my drone and went here
Lost Drone Form - Report Lost Drone - Drone Registration
This appears to be a government site (????). Yes???
But they have no record of me. (Used the same email address.) I have to register again and pay $47.99. What an odd number?!
Suddenly I am suspicious. Is this a total scam?

Assuming it is a scan, to whom should I report a drone loss?
I lost it in the woods but know within 35 feet where it should be, and have searched for 3 days. So I am supposing someone found it and took it (with good intentions or otherwise, who knows). I had my registration info in the battery compartment (should they happen to look).

At any rate, I wish to report it as missing so that I am, in some sense, no longer the owner of it and no longer legally responsible should the other person fly it illegally.
There is no part of that site that "appears to be a government site".

No ".gov" domain. And there's no such thing as the "US Drone Registration" agency. Sorry you got scammed.

If you previously registered, (when the FAA registration began), you did not register the drone but rather you registered yourself. So there's nothing to "report" as a hobby user.

In the future, to check on your registration, go here. FAADroneZone

Scam site. Quick article from DroneLife: Beware FAA Registration Scams

The correct site for FAA registration is Getting Started. Accept no substitutes.The FAA registration system is simple, straightforward and only costs $5.00.

I read the fine print at the bottom of that site and it says that they are not affiliated with the FAA but act in your behalf. Here is the direct copy of the fine print. I highlighted the sentence in RED.

As a service provider of aviation labels and professional document preparation services, drone-registration.net provides a simplified process to help our clients obtain a drone registration with the U.S. Government and properly label drones and other radio controlled aircraft systems as mandated by the FAA. We act on behalf of you (our client), and are not affiliated with the FAA. We are an independent site that was designed to assist in obtaining a registration number for you and supply labels and other products. If you have any questions or need more information, please contact us anytime. LetsEncrypt is a trademark of the Internet Security Research Group. All rights reserved.
As said before, they best place is at the Getting Started page at the FAA site.

Not to worry, I properly registered myself at FAADronezone, and never paid any money to drone-reg.net. They have my contact info, but I broke off data entry as soon as I saw the price. And then got suspicious looking at the website more closely.
It was my anxiety that caused me to clutch at the straw initially. I suppose I can still hope that some tech savy person found my drone, will take it home, remove the battery and see my reg# there. And will contact the FAA.
....maybe....

Not to worry, I properly registered myself at FAADronezone, and never paid any money to drone-reg.net. They have my contact info, but I broke off data entry as soon as I saw the price. And then got suspicious looking at the website more closely.
It was my anxiety that caused me to clutch at the straw initially. I suppose I can still hope that some tech savy person found my drone, will take it home, remove the battery and see my reg# there. And will contact the FAA.
....maybe....

Man, I hope you find it. I would be all bummed out.

Ho-ho-oh . :(:mad::(
Right on! I spent some 9 hours (plus one hour drive one way) over 3 days looking for it. One Sunny day and two drizzle days. Not happy at all.
And since I cannot show the drone to DJI, I have to assume that my DJI Care is wasted money. :-<

Ho-ho-oh . :(:mad::(
Right on! I spent some 9 hours (plus one hour drive one way) over 3 days looking for it. One Sunny day and two drizzle days. Not happy at all.
And since I cannot show the drone to DJI, I have to assume that my DJI Care is wasted money. :-<
Yes, DJI Care Refresh requires that you return the drone to DJI.

This forum has a lost and found section. Also post the relevant information locally, newspaper, street pole signs, etc. The problem with the FAA number is that most people won't know what it means. A phone number is better. Good luck!

Please send me $45 and the instant someone tells me where your drone is, I'll let you know.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman