DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone from outside the US tried RID in the US yet?

twickers14

Reactions
Hi all. I am wondering if anyone who lives outside the USA (like me) has successfully Registered their drone (mine is a MA2) as being RID ready (latest software of course), and then flown it is the USA after the 16 March introduction date? I am all signed up with FAA Registration but can see no reference to it’s presence in the About screen when hooked up to my drone. Perhaps it will fire up when I prepare for my first flight on US soil later this month?

Hi all. I am wondering if anyone who lives outside the USA (like me) has successfully Registered their drone (mine is a MA2) as being RID ready (latest software of course), and then flown it is the USA after the 16 March introduction date? I am all signed up with FAA Registration but can see no reference to it’s presence in the About screen when hooked up to my drone. Perhaps it will fire up when I prepare for my first flight on US soil later this month?
Unfortunately at this time, there is no connection between teh FAA database registration and the RID in your drone. Others can correct me if I am wrong. Your issue has no timing constraints either.

Unfortunately at this time, there is no connection between teh FAA database registration and the RID in your drone. Others can correct me if I am wrong. Your issue has no timing constraints either.
Get what you say but I am hoping that the first time I fire up on US soil the RID will work and start to transmit. I wasn’t expecting a link with the FAA-I presume they just need to know who is out there flying if there is a problem and the installed RID will tell them-me.

Get what you say but I am hoping that the first time I fire up on US soil the RID will work and start to transmit. I wasn’t expecting a link with the FAA-I presume they just need to know who is out there flying if there is a problem and the installed RID will tell them-me.
I haven't heard that the software depends on the GPS coordinates to transmit RID but I guess it is possible. However, if you are not getting RID details from the drone in your current location out of country, there's nothing here (other than GPS coordinates) that could turn it on for you. Meaning, you should see the details today and you should see it in the "About screen" as well. Perhaps someone else can chime in but we do have MA2 drones with the correct software installed that are transmitting here in the US whether they are registered or not.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. The pilot does not need to officially concern themselves if the drone is actually transmitting or not. If you have a legal drone (on the correct software) and you have the FAA Declaration of Compliance for that particular drone (by S/N), that's all you need. The DoC instructions to DJI are "don't allow the drone to lift off unless it is legal" so if you lift off, guess what? You are RID legal.

I haven't heard that the software depends on the GPS coordinates to transmit RID but I guess it is possible. However, if you are not getting RID details from the drone in your current location out of country, there's nothing here (other than GPS coordinates) that could turn it on for you. Meaning, you should see the details today and you should see it in the "About screen" as well. Perhaps someone else can chime in but we do have MA2 drones with the correct software installed that are transmitting here in the US whether they are registered or not.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. The pilot does not need to officially concern themselves if the drone is actually transmitting or not. If you have a legal drone (on the correct software) and you have the FAA Declaration of Compliance for that particular drone (by S/N), that's all you need. The DoC instructions to DJI are "don't allow the drone to lift off unless it is legal" so if you lift off, guess what? You are RID legal.
That’s very reassuring thank you.

There are many GPS related switches baked into the drone firmware and Fly app. RID is just one of them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J