DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Guidance to Local Police

PacificSkyDreamn

Reactions
I noticed that the FAA has a website for local law enforcement agencies on how to handle drones complaints. Some of the information seems dated, but I guess it will be updated when RID equipped drones begin to show up later this year.

I strongly encourage everyone to download and print out the law Enforcement Response Card. I carry a number of them, and pass them out at meetings and such.

With that card you are automatically more knowledgeable than most LEOs that will show up in a drone call.

Hand them one and be pleasant. That can dispel any possible escalation in many cases.

I strongly encourage everyone to download and print out the law Enforcement Response Card. I carry a number of them, and pass them out at meetings and such.

With that card you are automatically more knowledgeable than most LEOs that will show up in a drone call.

Hand them one and be pleasant. That can dispel any possible escalation in many cases.
Is that a different link?

It’s the first link after you go to the first link in the OP.

That card seems to assume that there's a problem significant enough that a response is called for and an FAA Incident Report is needed. It does say "take appropriate action based on the facts and circumstances" but I hope officers don't immediately go through the suggested process for every spurious complaint ("That drone way up there is flying over my property.") they check on.

Screenshot 2022-06-29 114415.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-29 114932.jpg

Reactions: JTZ
That card seems to assume that there's a problem significant enough that a response is called for and an FAA Incident Report is needed. It does say "take appropriate action based on the facts and circumstances" but I hope officers don't immediately go through the suggested process for every spurious complaint ("That drone way up there is flying over my property.") they check on.

View attachment 150914

View attachment 150916
If you have that card, you’ll know more than the cop. They’re there already because someone called them. Diffuse the situation with this card.

Reactions: pnovotny and Torque
Our local agencies already have these cards AND the knowledge of UAS in their possession here. I can only hope other areas are doing this type of work as well.

Our local agencies already have these cards AND the knowledge of UAS in their possession here. I can only hope other areas are doing this type of work as well.
My goal is to have one in every patrol car in Metro Denver. I have a stack I pass out. 😉

This one?

I'm a little confused as to how it would be helpful for dealing with police.
I’m also confused. While I agree with Vic about the importance of being knowledgeable, I’m unsure how the information contained on this card would be helpful in a typical encounter with LE.

The most likely complaint an officer will respond to will not involve a crash, damage, VLOS violations or any other violation the FAA would remotely be interested in. On the other hand, the LE response will most likely involve a complaint about the use of airspace - a critically important topic which is conspicuously absent on the card.

The link to the document titled State and Local Regulation of UAS provides a much better informative road map for the street cop. However, at seven pages long, it’s not likely to be read thoroughly enough during a typical LE encounter.

Misinterpretation of laws concerning the control and use of airspace continues to be our nemesis. Unfortunately, while the card makes PICs smarter, it does nothing to enhance the typical LE officer’s understanding of the real issue to be resolved.

Sorry for the long winded response, I’m a retired lawyer and cop with waaaaay too much time on my hands.

Fly safe everyone

You may like this hand out better. I gave several to my local sheriff and magistrate office after a complaint about flying over property.

Attachments

• what are you doing with that drone.pdf
    948.8 KB · Views: 174
You may like this hand out better. I gave several to my local sheriff and magistrate office after a complaint about flying over property.
I think this trifold pamphlet does an excellent job - thanks for it. My question is publishes it? The one panel containing the DRONE Law Enforcement Response language clearly attributes the info to the FAA but the originator of the remaining text is unclear. Either way, this document is extremely helpful. Many thanks wardtom084.

That's quite good. Thank you and well done.

I assume this is something you created yourself, no? With your permission, I think I'd like to make one or two minor edits and print up some of my own.

I'd only offer a couple of suggestions for improvement...

1. This refers to commercial drone operations (in large, bold type on the front panel of the tri-fold brochure, and elsewhere):
Questions and
answers about this
commercial small
Unmanned Aerial
Systems (sUAS)
drone operation
Because I operate recreationally, I'd strike the word "commercial" above and elsewehere.

2. Under the first column, "For Law Enforcement"... Everything looks correct and useful, but you may have "buried the lede" a bit. Since you don't want to cop to just roll his eyes (two whole pages of text..), say "TLDR, flyboy" and slap on the cuffs, make it easy for them to find the money shot.

I'd suggest starting with a statement right up top that goes straight to the heart of the matter, such as:

"Only the Federal Aviation Administration ("FAA") has the legal authority to regulate aircraft (including drones) WHILE IN FLIGHT. State and local authorities may regulate where aircraft can land or takeoff, but do not have jurisdiction over airspace or flight operations."

Under the section "Do you need permission to fly from/over property?" (probably the most sticky of the sticky points, since presumably the cops were called by an angry property owner), I'd suggest one tiny edit (moving a comma and adding parentheses) to better clarify that no "permission" at all is required to operate from public property (as long as that's not regulated locally). I'd also make it bold and red, because it's critically important (and because I'm that kinda guy). My suggested replacement text:

Remote pilots may legally operate an unmanned aircraft (including takeoff and landing) FROM public property (and from private property, with permission).

That's quite good. Thank you and well done.

I assume this is something you created yourself, no? With your permission, I think I'd like to make one or two minor edits and print up some of my own.

I'd only offer a couple of suggestions for improvement...

1. This refers to commercial drone operations (in large, bold type on the front panel of the tri-fold brochure, and elsewhere):

Because I operate recreationally, I'd strike the word "commercial" above and elsewehere.

2. Under the first column, "For Law Enforcement"... Everything looks correct and useful, but you may have "buried the lede" a bit. Since you don't want to cop to just roll his eyes (two whole pages of text..), say "TLDR, flyboy" and slap on the cuffs, make it easy for them to find the money shot.

I'd suggest starting with a statement right up top that goes straight to the heart of the matter, such as:

"Only the Federal Aviation Administration ("FAA") has the legal authority to regulate aircraft (including drones) WHILE IN FLIGHT. State and local authorities may regulate where aircraft can land or takeoff, but do not have jurisdiction over airspace or flight operations."

Under the section "Do you need permission to fly from/over property?" (probably the most sticky of the sticky points, since presumably the cops were called by an angry property owner), I'd suggest one tiny edit (moving a comma and adding parentheses) to better clarify that no "permission" at all is required to operate from public property (as long as that's not regulated locally). I'd also make it bold and red, because it's critically important (and because I'm that kinda guy). My suggested replacement text:

Remote pilots may legally operate an unmanned aircraft (including takeoff and landing) FROM public property (and from private property, with permission).
No something I got some where..................like you did

Vic, does the PD have a Community Engagement Office (or similar)? I’d recommend proactive where possible.
Some do. I do LEO training for the FAA's Safety Team, so I have access to many of them.

Reactions: 4006448
Depending on the size of your town, I let the local sheriff office fly my drone. They had seen the drone in the area and they finally one afternoon followed it to where I was at. Only have two more officers and the entire team has seen it. Now they want one. Good P.R. in my opinion.

What do you say if police officer looks at your Drone Law Enforcement Response Card and asks you, what does this sentence mean?

"Local ordinances that may apply include but are not limited to reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, voyeurism, inciting violence."

What do you say if police officer looks at your seven page copy of the FAA's State & Local Authority of UAV Fact Sheet and asks what does this sentence mean?

"EXAMPLES OF STATE AND LOCAL LAWS WITHIN STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT POLICE POWER

Laws traditionally related to state and local police power – including land use, zoning, privacy, trespass, and law enforcement operations – generally are not subject to federal regulation."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J