DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Guidance to Local Police

I would say there are no local ordnances to drone operation.
And you'd likely be wrong. There are plenty of legitimate local drone regulations that can apply. Make sure you're correct before you challenge a cop with that answer.

And you'd likely be wrong. There are plenty of legitimate local drone regulations that can apply. Make sure you're correct before you challenge a cop with that answer.
Lived here about all of my life. We just got our 3rd streetlight and in the sticks of western n.c.

Lived here about all of my life. We just got our 3rd streetlight and in the sticks of western n.c.
If you're in NC, then you're already wrong. NC has their own set of regs and test you have to take before you fly a drone.

Like I said, make sure you're correct when you challenge the PD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic Moss
Thanks. The link above didn't copy correctly. Fixed it. The one you posted is the recreational page.
Although not required, the Division encourages recreational drone users to take the N.C. Department of Transportation's Unmanned Aircraft System Operator's Knowledge Test to learn the rules and regulations for operating drones in North Carolina. This page is for 107 only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic Moss
Although not required, the Division encourages recreational drone users to take the N.C. Department of Transportation's Unmanned Aircraft System Operator's Knowledge Test to learn the rules and regulations for operating drones in North Carolina. This page is for 107 only.

Both Commercial Operators and Recreational Operators pages have the same language: "operators do not have to obtain a license or permit from the Division of Aviation."

But in other places on the website, they mention permits and say that Commercial Operators and Government Operators do have to take and pass the test.

There was an update done to the site on July 21, 2022. I'm planning to shoot some photos for a friend's garden to support her book sales, and I'd previously gotten a NC commercial permit. It sounds as if it's no longer required.

What do you say if police officer looks at your Drone Law Enforcement Response Card and asks you, what does this sentence mean?

"Local ordinances that may apply include but are not limited to reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, voyeurism, inciting violence."

What do you say if police officer looks at your seven page copy of the FAA's State & Local Authority of UAV Fact Sheet and asks what does this sentence mean?

"EXAMPLES OF STATE AND LOCAL LAWS WITHIN STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT POLICE POWER

Laws traditionally related to state and local police power – including land use, zoning, privacy, trespass, and law enforcement operations – generally are not subject to federal regulation."
If a LEO doesn’t understand those sentences, they’re in the wrong job. Legislative terms and phrases are part of the job.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots