DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA has agreed to answer questions

jaysrmc

Reactions
I have been communicating with some one from the FAA. They are willing to answer questions on my live stream but only in email format not live. So if you have questions, please ask in this thread and see what we can get answers to.

Reactions: Rnl
Is a pilot flying for recreational activities, protected by the FAA, from local authorities who are interfering with the flight?
Wouldn't that pilot be protected by US law?

What constitutes a "commercial" flight.
Can a 336 GIVE video to a municipality for use on that municipalities own website? or school, NO payment involved.
Can a 336 post video to his own monetized youtube channel?
What about NOT monetized? Facebook, and so on?

And last, can they FORCE 107 pilots to wear bearskin dusters, and 10 gallon hats dyed pink when flying commercial, so we can better see them and differentiate them from all the random orange vest nerds running around?? :D

I would have thought so, but if it is the Law that is trying to talk/interfere, will there be any FAA assistance in educating local authorities as to who actually "controls the airspace". Not local or state?
It appears the FAA is already taking steps to disperse such information. For example, this document.

Will there ever be a day where all local authorities see such documents and abide by them? I doubt it.

Reactions: Turn11
I would have thought so, but if it is the Law that is trying to talk/interfere, will there be any FAA assistance in educating local authorities as to who actually "controls the airspace". Not local or state?
Maybe if something goes to a federal court.
If local authorities talk or interfere with your flights, I think it sounds like you are flying in places they dont want you to be in. Maybe it bothers the other people. Who also have rights.
There are a thousand more places you can fly that wont bother anyone. Its easier for law enforcement to remove the ONE person that is disturbing everyone else with his drone or his car horn. That to tell EVERYONE ELSE to leave if they dont like it.

Maybe if something goes to a federal court.
If local authorities talk or interfere with your flights, I think it sounds like you are flying in places they dont want you to be in. Maybe it bothers the other people. Who also have rights.
There are a thousand more places you can fly that wont bother anyone. Its easier for law enforcement to remove the ONE person that is disturbing everyone else with his drone or his car horn. That to tell EVERYONE ELSE to leave if they dont like it.

Sure, it makes sense to try not to bother people. However, whoever "they" are, "they" need to operate within whatever authority they are legally invested. Some random cop or citizen has no authority whatsoever to command you to leave a location where you are legally flying. No matter where you fly, somebody is going to be pissed off about it - we live in a nation full of people who want to control you.

Reactions: W2EJ and WAXMAN
Sure, it makes sense to try not to bother people. However, whoever "they" are, "they" need to operate within whatever authority they are legally invested. Some random cop or citizen has no authority whatsoever to command you to leave a location where you are legally flying. No matter where you fly, somebody is going to be pissed off about it - we live in a nation full of people who want to control you.
Police and law enforcement absolutely DO have the right to ask you to stop what you are doing in a public place. You cant say the "FAA say's I can" , and void any state or local ordinances. Your drone is flying in the FAA controlled space YOU are not. Dont believe me? try it!
JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN, doesn't mean you should.

Reactions: Norb_DAIS
1 Under special rule for model aircraft can you fly at night w/required lighting? No rule in FAA regs or in AMA (national community-based safety guidelines) states that you can't--AMA actually states you can fly at night w/required lighting (and of course line-of-sight etc)--

2 Part 107 states you must have required lighting to fly during twilight (only)--is this correct that a hobby flyer can fly at night yet a Part 107 licensed pilot can't? Seems backwards--

Thanks for doing this! When is the live broadcast? Link so we can listen?

Reactions: WAXMAN
1 Under special rule for model aircraft can you fly at night w/required lighting? No rule in FAA regs or in AMA (national community-based safety guidelines) states that you can't--AMA actually states you can fly at night w/required lighting (and of course line-of-sight etc)--

2 Part 107 states you must have required lighting to fly during twilight (only)--is this correct that a hobby flyer can fly at night yet a Part 107 licensed pilot can't? Seems backwards--

Thanks for doing this! When is the live broadcast? Link so we can listen?

Yes - another example of a result of Congress exempting hobby drone pilots, flying under the guise of model aircraft enthusiasts, from any sensible rules that the FAA would otherwise have imposed on them.

Reactions: jaysrmc
why is there such inconsistency in 107.29 waivers. One application will have one flaw, correct it and re-submit and then 5 others show up that were not previously flagged. The whole waiver process is arbitrary and capricious IMHO

Without knowing this FAA person's title and/or standing within the FAA, I suspect a lot of pointless and incorrect answers will be given. This will only make matters worse.

Edit: the important part of interacting with the FAA is known the regs backward and forward in order to call out the BS information. As mentioned above, without this, interaction is about pointless.

Without knowing this FAA person's title and/or standing within the FAA, I suspect a lot of pointless and incorrect answers will be given. This will only make matters worse.

Edit: the important part of interacting with the FAA is known the regs backward and forward in order to call out the BS information. As mentioned above, without this, interaction is about pointless.
I'm sure the questions will be routed to the right people. They aren't going to have Rachel the receptionist reply to a Q and A. What would the FAA gain by giving pointless and incorrect answers? It's for questions and answers and not a debate. What makes you think that they will answer questions incorrectly? Do you know the rules inside and out? If so you should just answer the questions as clearly you believe you are more educated on the rules and regs than a FAA rep.

And to be honest with u, u have the right to not participate and if you want to call bs on answers feel free to reply to them directly telling them they are wrong. Easy peasy.

*Edit I just submitted your comment with the questions to see how they reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
Police and law enforcement absolutely DO have the right to ask you to stop what you are doing in a public place. You cant say the "FAA say's I can" , and void any state or local ordinances. Your drone is flying in the FAA controlled space YOU are not. Dont believe me? try it!
JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN, doesn't mean you should.

There have been any number of instances (just check YouTube) where LEO screw up and tell citizens to desist in doing this or that (drone flights are just one example.) Police are as human as anyone, with biases of their own and the ability to make errors. There's a difference between using good judgement and obeying some asshat with a badge, just because he thinks he knows the law.

They could just site disturbing the peace if people complain. Or failure to comply. Or obstructing. Doesn’t always have to be about drone flying. What makes you think police don’t know laws? Where are you talking about?
They go through training everywhere I know of
All I said is that if you are approached. Someone is not happy about where you are flying.

Reactions: Dizzy1971
They could just site disturbing the peace if people complain. Or failure to comply. Or obstructing. Doesn’t always have to be about drone flying. What makes you think police don’t know laws? Where are you talking about?
They go through training everywhere I know of
All I said is that if you are approached. Someone is not happy about where you are flying.

The thing is, the police can cite you for whatever they want. It's up to the prosecutors office to carry the charge. The folks that say cops can't do crap are wrong. They can do whatever they want and you get your day in court and you get to argue Federal law vs Statutory law. Federal law may say you can fly where you want but state law can and often contradict the federal law and then you have to fight it in state court. Now.. I have known of people getting out of tickets for flying over an area that the state said they aren't allowed. It took over a year to get out of that ticket. Is flying in an area that is designated a no drone zone by the state worth that much of your time and money? I am all about your rights and standing up for them but in the long run, just comply and fight another day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair