DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA new rules: test for recreational flyers???

for example, I live 2 miles away from an airport that has Class D around it, and that airfield does almost nothing but recreational flying. If the volume of traffic at any airport is low, especially if it has no scheduled commercial traffic, it shouldn't have any controlled airspace at all.

I would assume if it is Class D, then it has a control tower and the FAA has done some type of evaluation that the level of traffic justifies that. I'm not aware of any towered airports without controlled airspace surrounding them.

It looks like Recreational pilots aren't going to get an actual airman certificate (like Part 107 pilots receive). Instead it looks like you will just get some downloadable proof that you took the online test, which you will be required to present to law enforcement officials if questioned. Therefore hopefully the process won't involve any kind of months long delay.

One thing I haven't seen answered yet is if a current Part 107 pilot wants to fly under recreational rules, will their existing Part 107 certificate comply with the recreational testing requirement, or are we going to also need to take that test as well?
That is a good question. AND, I am hoping that the recreational online test won't be as difficult as the Pt. 107. I'm ASSUMING that it would mostly be based on safety regs, procedures, situations, etc. From what we all are reading on the FAA website, it's supposed to come into fruition some time this summer, but I can't glean any info. anywhere as to a more precise time.

I'll go on record and take that bet. I bet you a solid $10 that the Recreational Test, if done online (in person testing is always a fee but the FAA doesn't make anything from it) there will be no fee for testing. I'll send you a $10 bill in the mail if the Recreational test (NOT in person) costs anything.

A good portion of Manned Aircraft is done below 700', 500' etc for reasons.

Everyone wants to change the rules when they get their new R/C toys and that's not how it works. We're lucky we get to use the airspace at all and not regulated to Fixed Sites forever.
HECK NO!!! NOT fixed sites forever...that would be TERRIBLE. That certainly would put an end to this hobby for me. :) I live so far in the boonies that there would be probably NO WHERE for me to fly, and I'd have to drive miles to boot to get to one. :-( NOT a good scenario. We are very fortunate that we are allowed to fly where we are allowed now...VERY fortunate.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: BigAl07
i can't see how the online test doesn't involve at least a credit card. that way, there is some way to track it in the long run and it prevents everyone in the world from taking the test. you'll need a credit card with a usa address and you get charged $1 or maybe even just the authorization; make sure you are an adult. the only other way is to require an faa registration number, that would make sense, too.

Reactions: Drgnfli
i can't see how the online test doesn't involve at least a credit card. that way, there is some way to track it in the long run and it prevents everyone in the world from taking the test. you'll need a credit card with a usa address and you get charged $1 or maybe even just the authorization; make sure you are an adult. the only other way is to require an faa registration number, that would make sense, too.
Yes, all good points and possibilities.

i can't see how the online test doesn't involve at least a credit card.

That's because, as usual, you have done exactly zero research. For comparison, you can take the Part 107 course and test for Part 61 pilots at zero cost simply by creating an account on the website. No credit card required and you don't need to be a Part 61 pilot to do that.

That's because, as usual, you have done exactly zero research. For comparison, you can take the Part 107 course and test for Part 61 pilots at zero cost simply by creating an account on the website. No credit card required and you don't need to be a Part 61 pilot to do that.
omg, you're joking, right? ?

I’m a flight instructor. Everyone will have to take the test if they want to fly. I have taught 300 students this year with a 99% pass rate. And a 100%. Pass rate on retest. My students range in age from 16 to 82. 35% women, So seriously if an 82 year old man or a teenager can pass this test you can too.

I’m a flight instructor. Everyone will have to take the test if they want to fly. I have taught 300 students this year with a 99% pass rate. And a 100%. Pass rate on retest. My students range in age from 16 to 82. 35% women, So seriously if an 82 year old man or a teenager can pass this test you can too.

that's great to hear. what happens when the government decides there are too many drone flyers out there and they make the test triple hard and they institute a retest date to august 1, 2019. how convenient.

shouldn't be required to take a government test to be a hobby recreational flyer.
ok if you are a commercial drone pilot.

i don't have to take a test to own and fire guns.

Reactions: Rangerider
Here are screen shots of questions asked during a recent FAA Q&A on Instagram. View attachment 77075View attachment 77077
thanks for posting. i believe we heard that question and it was answered during the recent FAA webinar where they confirmed that the 107 pilot can fly recreationally as long as the pilot followed all the rules. all the rules are 107 rules plus recreational rules. when they said you can't pick and choose, i took that to mean the 107 pilot cannot fly recreational and thus skip the 107 rules and then fly 107 and skip the recreational rules (as one example); that would be picking and choosing (the latter in and of itself is fine because flying recreationally is an exemption). conversely, the recreational pilot flys only under the recreational rules (ie cannot fly commercially).

it was also said the 107 pilot may or may not have to take the recreational test in order to fly recreationally (not a big deal) but i guess it's leaning towards more likely than not based on someone of the more recent replies.

anyway, none of this is my own, the faa or someone else said it, i'm just repeating it. therefore, i'm not taking "questions" on it; thanks. make what you will of it. who knows, i still could be wrong. in an earlier thread, i've already admitted that i was wrong when i insisted that 107 pilots cannot fly under the recreational rules. clearly they can. ;)

Reactions: Rangerider
thanks for posting. i believe we heard that question and it was answered during the recent FAA webinar where they confirmed that the 107 pilot can fly recreationally as long as the pilot followed all the rules. all the rules are 107 rules plus recreational rules. when they said you can't pick and choose, i took that to mean the 107 pilot cannot fly recreational and thus skip the 107 rules and then fly 107 and skip the recreational rules (as one example); that would be picking and choosing (the latter in and of itself is fine because flying recreationally is an exemption). conversely, the recreational pilot flys only under the recreational rules (ie cannot fly commercially).

it was also said the 107 pilot may or may not have to take the recreational test in order to fly recreationally (not a big deal) but i guess it's leaning towards more likely than not based on someone of the more recent replies.

anyway, none of this is my own, the faa or someone else said it, i'm just repeating it. therefore, i'm not taking "questions" on it; thanks. make what you will of it. who knows, i still could be wrong. in an earlier thread, i've already admitted that i was wrong when i insisted that 107 pilots cannot fly under the recreational rules. clearly they can. ;)

No - that's incorrect. If you are Part 107 certified then if your flight purpose is recreational you can fly under either Part 107 rules or recreational rules. You obviously cannot follow both sets of rules at once, since (1) they are different and (2) you can fly any flight (commercial, non-recreational, recreational) under Part 107 so there would be absolutely no point adding extra, conflicting, recreational rules to your flight.

Last edited:
No - that's incorrect. If you are Part 107 certified then if your flight purpose is recreational you can fly under either Part 107 rules or recreational rules. You obviously cannot follow both sets of rules at once, since (1) they are different, (2) you can fly any flight (commercial, non-recreational, recreational) under Part 107 so there would be absolutely no point adding extra, conflicting, recreational rules to your flight.
I fly under 107 all the time. Just easier dealing with law enforcement or people who don’t know the rules or regulations.

I fly under 107 all the time. Just easier dealing with law enforcement or people who don’t know the rules or regulations.

So do I - the only obvious exception under the current recreational rules might be if you wanted to get some night shots and you didn't have an applicable waiver.

They can ID you with your FAA registration... duh. I'm sure you will need ID to take the test.

• Haha
Reactions: deleted member 877
As long as the test doesn't include a physical with a digital rectal exam I'm all for it! :cool::cool: And no random drug tests with urine samples!! Seriously, it's all about money and control. Drones are far less dangerous than actual airplanes and helicopters.

Last edited:
As long as the test doesn't include a physical with a digital rectal exam I'm all for it! :cool::cool: And no random drug tests with urine samples!! Seriously, it's all about money and control. Drones are far less dangerous than actual airplanes and helicopters.
'Actual airplanes and helicopters' are in fact way more dangerous than drones if you take away all the training and licensing requirements needed to fly one.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hello,
I have been writing in other forums, about flying in the USA.
Now I have a question ... I'm from Spain and I take the trip to take the Drone and the rest day we have to fly, and so say that I've flown in the US ... the question is ... I'm going to use in recreational mode, should I put it in the ATA notebook with the rest of the material we carry? I know it will be difficult to justify it because we have footage, cameras, lights, optics .... But I should put it in the ATA notebook. ???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J