DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA ~ Recreational Drone Flying Aeronautical Test Moves Forward

Its no telling how many thousands have bought just say Mavic’s not counting the others that have bought them and never even joined a forum that haven’t even regerstered with the FAA let alone know to take the test.

How much $$ do you think FAA tests bring in for the FAA per test? Go ahead and give it a guess....

How much do they currently charge for FAA study materials (from the FAA website)? Go ahead give it a guess.....

Once you know the above #'s you'll realize this isn't a Money Grab by the FAA or anyone else involved.

I have yet to see any real data on drone accidents.
I guess we can never have enough regulations, even when none are require.?

I have yet to see any real data on drone accidents.
I guess we can never have enough regulations, even when none are require.?

Aviation isn't about waiting until the problem exists and THEN try to fix it.

Keep in mind that if there is an air disaster involving a UAS (and we hope it NEVER happens) we will most likely be regulated out of the hobby/recreational realm totally. Once John Q. Public decides they aren't going to fly because of the worry (justified or not... doesn't matter in this context) and $$ is lost by the aviation industry how quickly do you think regulations (and strict ones at that) will come pouring down on all of us?

In the past I was a PPG flyer, had a trikebuggy with 21 horse motor and my wing, didn’t need to be licensed didn’t need to take lessons didn’t need to register could fly as high as I wanted and I did fly up to 3000 feet, no regulations whatsoever except for the weight limit and now I just fly a drone that I’ll need to be licensed forAnd tons of restrictions I guess that’s just the way it is

I understand how that applies to many things but after purchase what is the limiting factor on R/C aircraft/UAS? How do you keep them from charging their batteries?
True that! Starts to look like you need to produce a certificate just to purchase a machine...kind of like gun control...which I’m not totally against. Implementing the regs will be challenging at best.

I do agree with this but it will be administered online so every moron that can't spell his own name will have someone else take it for them . . . then moronic behavior in the skies above us will continue.
Impossible, that could never happen!
thdrumranger
thedrinkmanager
thedrunkmanger
the drummajor

me

• Haha
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Before drones were invented and sold to public and there was just fixed wing rc’s was there rules and regulations on the hobby?

Negative!! Few "Official" restrictions but at the same time the industry as a LOT different. Let me break it down:

• A) Up until GPS /Gyro flight you had to LEARN TO FLY the aircraft. If you didn't invest the time/effort to learn to fly you simply built/bought and took home a bag of parts.
  • B) See (A) above... it was a SELF CORRECTING problem. Most people realized it took time and some degree of skills to fly and NOT crash. If you didn't invest you crashed and usually got out of the hobby.
  • C) We had to fly at "Flying Sites" because the aircraft needed a half way decent runway and some room to fly. We didn't fly along city streets, over houses, around and through airport property (there are some sites on/near airport property but we have Letters of Agreement in place for such operations.
  • D) In order to fly at an "organized" flying field you had "Flying Field" rules (and we still do) you have to abide by or you're no longer allowed to fly there.

Mavic Mini 249 g
No registration or testing required.

Registration is the only "current" relief. Congress IIRC didn't make any allowances for not requiring testing for sub 250g aircraft (This in the US only).

True that! Starts to look like you need to produce a certificate just to purchase a machine...kind of like gun control...which I’m not totally against. Implementing the regs will be challenging at best.
If I may add, I’m not an anti gun advocate. I believe we have enough laws that if properly administered, could go a long way to get a handle on our current problem. I am anti public assault style weapon sales and ownership however.
You final point...me thinks the FAA is very concerned about the potential of rec drones being used for nefarious purposes. You know it’s just a matter of time. When that happens, the recreational drone world will be forever changed.

Aviation isn't about waiting until the problem exists and THEN try to fix it.

Keep in mind that if there is an air disaster involving a UAS (and we hope it NEVER happens) we will most likely be regulated out of the hobby/recreational realm totally. Once John Q. Public decides they aren't going to fly because of the worry (justified or not... doesn't matter in this context) and $$ is lost by the aviation industry how quickly do you think regulations (and strict ones at that) will come pouring down on all of us?

So is it safe to say that where recreational drones are concerned it’s best to react to nothing, based on nothing, even if nothing will come out of all the regulation put in place to prevent nothing from happening?
Hypotheticals, fears, and assumptions are always a strong driving force. However it does not mean they are justified or logical!?

If I may add, I’m not an anti gun advocate. I believe we have enough laws that if properly administered, could go a long way to get a handle on our current problem. I am anti public assault style weapon sales and ownership however.
One final point...me thinks the FAA is very concerned about the potential of rec drones being used for nefarious purposes. What they really want is a comprehensive registry with names and address of all drone owners in the event of the unthinkable. You know it’s just a matter of time. When that happens, the recreational drone world will be forever changed.

So is it safe to say that where recreational drones are concerned it’s best to react to nothing, based on nothing, even if nothing will come out of all the regulation put in place to prevent nothing from happening?
Hypotheticals, fears, and assumptions are always a strong driving force. However it does not mean they are justified or logical!?

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

Just look at the Foreign Object that struck the news helicopter in LA recently. Nothing has been found (or at last we don't know of anything) to indicate what struck the helicopter yet the news is not only reporting it was a Drone that struck the aircraft, one local news reporter went so far as to give the "Back Story" stating (I saw the report with my own eyes so it's not hearsay), "It was an illegal drone operator trying to get their own shot of what the helicopter was filming when they struck the helicopter".

Facts: We don't know what struck the helo, the helo was not actively filming at the time but traversing the area from one place to another.

So logic and justification are not needed when John Q. Public becomes scared of the problem.

Personally, I subscribe to the idea that all persons desiring to fly a drone (in USA) (specifically, those who do NOT presently presently possess a Part 107 cert) should be required the safety exam. (There will be an exam, no doubt). This will require a cert to be printed off from the FAA www and maintained by pilot anytime flying! The test very well may not make some people a better pilot, but if it helps to inform a few and produce a few more knowledgeable/safer recreational pilots, great!

I see opportunity for existing pilots, 107 and non, to help further a safer flying environment by sharing their knowledge and experience with others. Now is the time to become proactive and share your knowledge of safe flying with others. Those of you with kids or acquaintances who express interest in flying are presenting themselves as potential students. Share you knowledge, promote a safer (more knowledgeable) drone environment! Become proactive.

In the past I was a PPG flyer, had a trikebuggy with 21 horse motor and my wing, didn’t need to be licensed didn’t need to take lessons didn’t need to register could fly as high as I wanted and I did fly up to 3000 feet, no regulations whatsoever except for the weight limit and now I just fly a drone that I’ll need to be licensed forAnd tons of restrictions I guess that’s just the way it is
Maybe, just sayin’ maybe, the FAA is taking this step so they don’t have to implement “tons of restrictions”!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent