BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just announced by the FAA a few moments ago:

Recreational Drone Flying Aeronautical Test Moves Forward
WASHINGTON
– To advance public safety of the largest segment of drone operations, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced the organizations selected to advise the agency in developing test administration requirements for the recreational Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) aeronautical knowledge and safety test. (Follow link below for the FULL story and Details)

I do agree with this but it will be administered online so every moron that can't spell his own name will have someone else take it for them . . . then moronic behavior in the skies above us will continue.

I do agree with this but it will be administered online so every moron that can't spell his own name will have someone else take it for them . . . then moronic behavior in the skies above us will continue.

Online testing is the only feasible way, as it wouldn't be practical to require millions of recreational drone owners to suddenly pay ~$150 and schedule an in-person visit to a test center. Such a requirement would likely result in even more non-compliance with the rules.

Online testing is the only feasible way, as it wouldn't be practical to require millions of recreational drone owners to suddenly pay ~$150 and schedule an in-person visit to a test center. Such a requirement would likely result in even more non-compliance with the rules.
I agree with you . . . we just (already) know the results of this. The FAA will say: "We implemented safeguards on recreational flyers, its not getting any better . . . more strict enforcement is necessary".

I personally think it should be administered just like Part 107 and every other FAA Airmen's test. Otherwise it holds no merit (not that it will hold a lot either way). Just my 2 cents.

Well, here we go again, more un enforceable spew from the FAA. Im not bothered by some regulation re. safety, but recreational licencing is rediculous. That is unless the licencing requirement is directed to the 12 year old kid with the $20.00 play drone he or she flys in there backyard. For the most part this , with few exceptions, is like the 107 that is, I have a licence just to say have a licence . FAA has no time or recourses to enforce this sort of thing. As said before, it has no merit. One thing we should consider is that we who have invested major$ into our drones , for the most part, are aware of safety regulations, but we are a very small % of the drone opperator's in the world. As an example I have a $50 play drone that I can take anyplace and fly it. I could take it to the airport and fly around the controle tower (im sure ,not without consequence) . I guess that the bottom line is that we take safety serious as does DJI and most other high $ drone companys, but we are in a very small minority. A large % dont give a ****
Fly safe

Last edited by a moderator:
I look at it this way.

There is a need to educate a portion of the drone flyers of the basic safety rules. The intent of an online example is admirable, but will not prevent people from cheating. Expecting someone with a $100 toy drone to take a $150 exam is an unreasonable expectation. Expecting them to go anywhere to take an exam is probably an unreasonable expectation. Which puts the FAA between a rock and a hard place.

With the choice of an online exam that will have some percentage of cheating, but reaches many people, and a costly system that many people would ignore; the FAA is going with the option costs everyone less money.

And let's face it. no amount of training is going to change the behavior of some idiot deliberately doing the wrong thing.

Note that it isn't the FAA that decided on implementing a test, it's in the law that passed last year that requires it, and FAA is over 6 months late in implementing it.

Online tests can be proctored by webcam, though it would be a challenge to prove identity. Perhaps one would need to provide the identification number on a picture ID where the ID's photo on file can be compared to the one in the webcam if needed.

I look at it this way.

There is a need to educate a portion of the drone flyers of the basic safety rules. The intent of an online example is admirable, but will not prevent people from cheating. Expecting someone with a $100 toy drone to take a $150 exam is an unreasonable expectation. Expecting them to go anywhere to take an exam is probably an unreasonable expectation. Which puts the FAA between a rock and a hard place.

With the choice of an online exam that will have some percentage of cheating, but reaches many people, and a costly system that many people would ignore; the FAA is going with the option costs everyone less money.

And let's face it. no amount of training is going to change the behavior of some idiot deliberately doing the wrong thing.
[/QUOTE Well, we are well aware of the idiots deliberatly doing the wrong thing and then they post on u tube. Ie. my drone pictures from 1500 feet six miles from launch. That is a "special kind of stupid". We could hope that there would be a , reasionable attempt to educate and on line via u tube would be a good option. However you cant educate anyone who is not inclined to be educated. The idea of mandintory licencing is rediculous.
Note that it isn't the FAA that decided on implementing a test, it's in the law that passed last year that requires it, and FAA is over 6 months late in implementing it.

Online tests can be proctored by webcam, though it would be a challenge to prove identity. Perhaps one would need to provide the identification number on a picture ID where the ID's photo on file can be compared to the one in the webcam if needed.
That would be one way. But (always a "but") where do the kids who buy there drone at wall mart get the ID number with photo ? Maybe we could enact some kind of regulation that drones can cost no less that $ 1000. and make it illegal to posess one untill you are 21. Now that would put a stop to most of the foolishness.:eek: I have to go now, have to get my pictures taken fro 1500 feet and two miles out ready to sell.

Until you have to show proff you have passed anything
to buy one I can’t see nothing coming of this. Here you
have to show your hunters ed certificate to get a hunting licence. Same with drivers license.
Im all for this but just don’t see it will do any good unless your caught doing something stupid and getting caught.

Last edited:
I personally think it should be administered just like Part 107 and every other FAA Airmen's test. Otherwise it holds no merit (not that it will hold a lot either way). Just my 2 cents.

And if it is, then we all should be part 107.

Either way, we get tested, we should be certified.

Geez I thought they had the test almost ready to go and that was months ago. ?

Years ago, when I worked with my father in his business, I applied for a 24 hour Carry license. Before I could receive and pick up my firearm I needed to take a safety class, then go to the police precinct in New York City and have a psychological test done, and then with all the paperwork and information go out and purchase my desired carry-on. Without having the proper documentation no carry-on would be issued. My point being is people that want to fly drones and are safety conscience and want to do the right thing would go to the necessary steps in the beginning so that they can enjoy their hobby or the craft later. I feel once their certified, they may take an honor in the process and regulations , and maybe show those who are not adhering to safe fly.

have to show your hunters ed certificate to get a hunting licence. Same with drivers license.
Im all for this but just don’t see it will do any good unless your caught doing something stupid and getting caught.

I completely agree. No proof of passing the "requirements" no purchase allowed. I think they should be handled in exactly the same manner as dirk mentions above.

For those worried about kids etc there needs to be a classification system. For those "Mall Toys" that can't fly more than a couple hundred feet, have no GPS guidance, and no autonomous flight modes I say let's call them TOY and exclude them. The rest would be classified by weight, control distance, and autonomous flight abilities.

I honestly think the current Part 107 is more aligned with Hobby operations and it should be the bare MIN to purchase and fly recreationally.

Then there should be a higher classification/certification for Commercial operators. If you're going to be a Big Boy and dabble in the Commercial realm you should not only take the written test but there should be an actual flight proficiency portion of the test as well. Merely passing a standardized written test in no way demonstrates actual ability to safely control the aircraft. I think the flight test should be fairly broad and comprehensive including flying in wide open spaces, in more narrow spaces, how to handle various emergency scenarios and the most important of all is how to FLY THE AIRCRAFT when the training wheels quit working for you. You should have to demonstrate you can safely operate the aircraft in a wide range of likely situations/scenarios. As it is now you can study, take, and PASS the test with never even touching any type of UAS. How absurd is that?

On the plus side I know for a fact that many FAA offices are currently increasing their UAS specific staffing. One office I was on a conference call with last week is TRIPLING their UAS staff to help with education and investigation tasks. I'm hoping we see more FAA activity in our community along with increased fines and enforcement of the existing rules and framework. I think without this last part the rest of it is a waste of time and resources.

Why not treat licensing like scuba. You can buy scuba gear but you can’t fill your tanks unless you are certified.

Why not treat licensing like scuba. You can buy scuba gear but you can’t fill your tanks unless you are certified.
I understand how that applies to many things but after purchase what is the limiting factor on R/C aircraft/UAS? How do you keep them from charging their batteries?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803