DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Reg #

MSRmavic

Reactions
Hello!

I've had the Mavic for a while, but took a long break from flying due to work reasons. So I want to clarify, I've read a lot about how the FAA does NOT request a reg # to be on the drone anymore, is this 100% correct? I did not see it on the FAA website.

That being said, do you think its smart to put your phone # on the Mavic in case it crashes? Also, how can I found the drone if it crashes?

Is it DJI App >> "3 line icon" >> Flight Record???

Thank you!

I want to clarify, I've read a lot about how the FAA does NOT request a reg # to be on the drone anymore, is this 100% correct? I did not see it on the FAA website.
Yes. The ruling was made official on July 3rd. See more details here.

do you think its smart to put your phone # on the Mavic in case it crashes?
It's a good idea if you want to get your Mavic back in a case where you cannot find it. There's no guarantee that someone will find it and/or return it, but it's definitely something that'll push the odds in your favor.

how can I found the drone if it crashes?
The TXT flight log (stored on your mobile device) will contain all of the flight information that was recorded while your Mavic was connected to DJI GO. Depending on what happened at the end of the flight log, the data might or might not point to the Mavic's actual location. At the least, you can use one of these tools to read that data and make an educated guess as to where your Mavic is located (assuming you're knowledgeable in reading DJI flight logs). If you're not able to make sense of the data, then create a thread here and post your flight log.

Reactions: MSRmavic
There was another topic very recently (like within the last week) about this same subject. Look up that thread...it seemed 70/30 in favor of marking.

Answers:
There is no more registration, at all. Save your money, protect your privacy.

For me, other than a personally identifiable marking to aid in theft recovery, I put zero personal info on any my birds. I really see no legitimate reason to do so.

Use the Find My Drone option in Go4 to see the last recorded location of your Mavic before disconnection.

Ok thanks for the input!

So since it is not required to reg our drones, is there a way where I can clear my info & profile with the FAA? Also I heard I can get a refund for the $5; but I mainly don't want them to continue to have my information.

Thanks!

You can do that on the FAA's website here.
Thanks for the link! So just to make sure, since I only fly my DJI Mavic recreationally (make drone vids stricty as a hobby & sharing to Youtube+Facebook+Instagram; not making any revenue), I fall under "Section 336" and I can unregister my drone, correct?

You're flying as a hobbyist as long as you're following all of the rules mentioned here (minus the registration since it's no longer required). If that's all true, you do not need to register (or keep your registration).

Reactions: MSRmavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead