Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration Info for sUAS

LuvMyTJ

Reactions
Registration is mandatory and can be completed here ---> sUAS Registration

Registration

1. Why do I need to register my UAS?
    Federal law requires that all aircraft (which includes UAS and radio/remote controlled aircraft) flown outdoors must be registered with the FAA and marked with a registration number. UAS weighing more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds may register online at sUAS Registration or by using the legacy paper based registration process. The weight limit includes everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft at the time of takeoff.

2. What is the difference between registering a UAS flown for fun vs. UAS flown for work or business?
    If you fly your UAS for hobby or recreational purposes and you use the web-based registration process to register your aircraft, you only need to register once and then apply your registration number to as many UAS as you want. Recreational registrants only need to provide their name, address, and email address. The $5 registration fee covers all recreational UAS owned by the registrant.

Unmanned aircraft flown for work or business must be registered individually by the owner, and each registration costs $5. Registrants must supply their name, address, and email address, in addition to the make, model, and serial number (if available) for each UAS they want to fly.

3. Do I always have to have my Certificate of Aircraft Registration with me while flying my UAS?
    Yes. You must have the FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating an unmanned aircraft. The certificate can be available either on paper or electronically.

If another person operates your UAS, they must have the UAS registration certificate in their possession. You can give them a paper copy or email a copy to them.

Federal law requires UAS operators to show the certificate of registration to any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer if asked. You can show it electronically or show the printed certificate.

4. If I'm just flying my UAS inside a building, or in my own yard, do I have to register it?
    If you're flying indoors, you do not need to register your unmanned aircraft as the FAA does not regulate indoor UAS use. However, when flying in your own yard or over your own property, you will need to register your UAS if the UAS weighs more than 0.55 pounds.

5. If my UAS weighs more than 55 lbs., what are the registration requirements?
    It must be registered using the FAA's paper-based registration process.

6. I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
    If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

NOTE: at this time, the FAA's online registration website can only be accessed from a computer located in the United States or its territories or possessions.

7. If my UAS is destroyed or is sold, lost, or transferred, do I need to do anything?
    You should cancel your registration through the FAA's online registration system.

8. How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with my unique registration number?
    If you complete registration using the web-based registration process and satisfy the registration requirements, you may use a permanent marker, label, or engraving, as long as the number remains affixed to the aircraft during routine handling and all operating conditions and is readily accessible and legible upon close visual inspection. The number may also be enclosed in a compartment that is readily accessible, such as a battery compartment.

Requirements for marking unmanned aircraft registered in accordance with the legacy registration system can be found in 14 CFR Part 45, subpart C. Guidance material on aircraft marking requirements in Part 45 can be found in Advisory Circular No. 45-2E Identification and Registration Marking.

9. When I provide my registration information, is it publicly available?
    The web-based UAS registration database is not searchable at this time. The FAA and the FAA contractor who maintain the website and database will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.

As described in the applicable Privacy Act System of Records Notice for aircraft registration information, the public may search for aircraft information in the legacy, paper-based aircraft registration system by the aircraft registration number, aircraft owner name, and aircraft owner state/county or territory/county.

10. I don't have access to a computer to register. Is there a form?
    There are two registration systems available to sUAS owners – the web-based system designed exclusively for small unmanned aircraft and the legacy paper-based registration system. If you don't have access to a computer to register, you may use the paper registration process.

11. Can I transfer my model registration to non-model registration?
    Only the web-based registration system distinguishes model sUAS registration requirements from non-model sUAS registration requirements.

At this time, the web-based registration system does not permit this type of transfer. You must complete registration as a non-modeler and provide specific aircraft information such as manufacturer name, model number and serial number, if applicable.

12. Is there a penalty for failing to register?
    Failure to register an unmanned aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal penalties. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

There is no one-size-fits-all enforcement action for violations. All aspects of a violation will be considered, along with mitigating and aggravating circumstances surrounding the violation. In general, the FAA will attempt to educate operators who fail to comply with registration requirements. However, fines will remain an option when egregious circumstances are present.

13. Who do I contact with registration questions or problems?
    You may email registration questions to [email protected]. Live phone support is also available at (877) 396-4636 or international (703) 574-6777 from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143