DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration Question

VLL

Reactions
New pilot here. My first drone was the Mavic Mini, which didn't require registration. I returned it and ordered a Mavic 2, which will arrive this week. I thought I would get a head start with the FAA registration and do that before it arrives. My original understanding was that FAA registration for recreational flyers involves registering the operator, not the drone itself. But when I started the registration process this morning, the info required included the make/model/serial number of the drone.

Was I in the right place? Was I misunderstanding how registration works for recreational flyers?

I don't mind waiting until I have the serial number to give the FAA. But if I can register ahead of time, I'd like to get that done. Thanks for any advice you experienced pilots can offer.

New pilot here. My first drone was the Mavic Mini, which didn't require registration. I returned it and ordered a Mavic 2, which will arrive this week. I thought I would get a head start with the FAA registration and do that before it arrives. My original understanding was that FAA registration for recreational flyers involves registering the operator, not the drone itself. But when I started the registration process this morning, the info required included the make/model/serial number of the drone.

Was I in the right place? Was I misunderstanding how registration works for recreational flyers?

I don't mind waiting until I have the serial number to give the FAA. But if I can register ahead of time, I'd like to get that done. Thanks for any advice you experienced pilots can offer.
Just make sure you access it and register via the FAA’s official DroneZone. Avoid all the third party sites trying to take your money.

I knew enough to know that I did not need to register under Part 107, but I think when I went looking for the registration site I landed on one of the third party sites (which made itself look darn official). I've now found the FAA's official DroneZone, as Thomas B advised. That looks like the right place to be and the registration process I was expected. Thanks!

I knew enough to know that I did not need to register under Part 107, but I think when I went looking for the registration site I landed on one of the third party sites (which made itself look darn official). I've now found the FAA's official DroneZone, as Thomas B advised. That looks like the right place to be and the registration process I was expected. Thanks!
Welcome!

Congratulations on you Mavic 2. Enjoy your flights . Great groups of forum members here to help.

You will have to wait until you get a serial number. The registration process is instant. He will immediately be able to print out a certificate. Just have your charge card ready, it’s five dollars. You will love your new Mavic, It’s leaps and bounds beyond the mini.

You will have to wait until you get a serial number. The registration process is instant. He will immediately be able to print out a certificate. Just have your charge card ready, it’s five dollars. You will love your new Mavic, It’s leaps and bounds beyond the mini.

I don't remember needing any aircraft information when registering as a recreational pilot. The registration is for the pilot, and the same registration number goes on all your drones. Only part 107 operators register a specific aircraft, and number it accordingly.

Reactions: pelagic_one

Only IF registering as a Commercial Aircraft!! Hobby/Recreation does not ask about specific aircraft or serial #'s.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom