DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration.

cHaNcHeN

Reactions
Hi! I'm getting a replacement for my Mavic Air in 2 weeks. My question is, since I registered the old MA with the FAA, can I just have them change the drone in the registration so I won't have 2 drones under my name and also not pay another $5 anymore?

Hi! I'm getting a replacement for my Mavic Air in 2 weeks. My question is, since I registered the old MA with the FAA, can I just have them change the drone in the registration so I won't have 2 drones under my name and also not pay another $5 anymore?
Each drone has an individual Serial Number, the FAA issues an FA or N number based on the Serial number of the drone.
Answer: No you cannot just use the old FA number for your new drone, you have to pony up the $5 bucks, sorry

Reactions: cHaNcHeN
Doesn't matter if it's recreational or commercial, if the drone weighs more than .55 lbs it must be registered....
The op has already stated that he registered his original MA.
If he is recreational, he only needs to use his existing registration number.
If he is commercial, then he must re register the new aircraft.

It does matter. Recreational registration is for the pilot. The same number is used on all drones. Commercial registration is per drone.
Yes sir, that is correct ! I have the same number on all 3 of mine since 2016. And a copy of my registration on my person at all times or at least when out flying. That's for recreational.

Yes sir, that is correct ! I have the same number on all 3 of mine since 2016. All recreational.
That means you only have 1 year left before you have to renew.
Registration for recreational is for only three years.

That is correct according to what it said when I first registered. Mine expires 1/30/2019.

Each drone has an individual Serial Number, the FAA issues an FA or N number based on the Serial number of the drone.
Answer: No you cannot just use the old FA number for your new drone, you have to pony up the $5 bucks, sorry
This is incorrect for hobby/recreational users registered under Part 336.

Thanks for the info!

It does matter. Recreational registration is for the pilot. The same number is used on all drones. Commercial registration is per drone.
The thing is when I filed for my sUAS certificate of registration, the form asked me of the make, model & serial number of my drone. That's why I'm confused if the registration follows the owner or the drone itself.

The thing is when I filed for my sUAS certificate of registration, the form asked me of the make, model & serial number of my drone. That's why I'm confused if the registration follows the owner or the drone itself.
Unfortunately you probably registered on one of the .com scam websites. The FAA (.gov) website doesn’t ask for any of that information.

When registering on the FAA's website here, you can register under Part 107 (which requires your drone serial number) or under Section 336 (which gives you a FAA registration number that can be attached to all of your drones). You should register under Section 336 if you're only going to fly as a hobbyist. If you previously registered under Part 107, you should register again under Section 336 and attach your FAA registration number to your new drone.

When registering on the FAA's website here, you can register under Part 107 (which requires your drone serial number) or under Section 336 (which gives you a FAA registration number that can be attached to all of your drones). You should register under Section 336 if you're only going to fly as a hobbyist. If you previously registered under Part 107, you should register again under Section 336 and attach your FAA registration number to your new drone.
Maybe I did register it under Part 107. My bad..

This illustrates how seriously the FAA takes the whole “Part 107” licensing thing. They obviously don’t.
That's for sure, I have been an FAA Licensed mechanic A&P for 38 years and this Part 107 stuff is out there, I mean I understand the need to be situationally aware of manned aircraft, there are souls onboard those aircraft and we all have a responsibility to protect lives and property. But if you look at the two different Parts to the FAA regulations it can be very confusing

I believe I registered on the actual FAA website. Here's a copy of my certificate. View attachment 39793
Might want to block out some of that info on the pic you uploaded, like your full name and full FA number, considering there are very young members and public users that could possibly print out that pic and use it for their drone and if by chance they cause a mid-air accident then the FAA might come looking for you......

Reactions: cHaNcHeN
Might want to block out some of that info on the pic you uploaded, like your full name and full FA number, considering there are very young members and public users that could possibly print out that pic and use it for their drone and if by chance they cause a mid-air accident then the FAA might come looking for you......
Don’t bother, it’s all a matter of public record anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato