DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

Probably old news or may be in some other thread, the actual rule was officially posted to the Federal Registry on January 15, which starts the clock. Interestingly the page states comments are still being accepted and a couple public ones are shown.

I sure saw several ideas that I listed in my letter sent to the FAA that they approved so they must have received similar suggestions from people like me. It's definitely not the doom and gloom like so many worried about early on but still has some areas I'll have to look over. It's a huge document. I hope I didn't read it as they still want the public to have access to my more personal info like my name via data transmission. I just skimmed over it so I hope I'm mistaken. Overall I feel they did in fact listen and adapted to a more common sense approach in many areas.

One that stuck out was their definition of VLOS which to my surprised stayed about the same as now... somewhat vague which is a good thing.
"The FAA proposed that the term visual line of sight means the ability of a person manipulating the flight controls of the unmanned aircraft or a visual observer (if one is used) to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight with vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses."

I always am able to see my aircraft during my flight when I'm operating. So if I look down at my telemetry, I take it as I must be able to look back and see my aircraft is still w/i VLOS throughout the entire flight. Even when I fly fixed wing, there are times I need to check for other aircraft close to mine. I also may need to check telemetry or radio switches knowing that if I lose VLOS long enough I might be walking with a trash bag to pick up airplane pieces.

I'm hoping that RID can be retrofitted to the Mavic 2 series. Ocusync 2.0 is based on Wi-Fi hardware, but with custom protocols. In theory, you could have the drone broadcast the RID messages over Wi-Fi. It only has to send a message once a second. Since the M2 uses a SDR, it could send a message formatted as a Wi-Fi broadcast while still maintaining an Ocusync connection. Since the Wi-Fi broadcast would be a different format than an Ocusync packet, the RFC should just ignore it.
The approved mfg's will be producing broadcast transponders in FCC approved frequency and be ANSI serial numbered; no reason to believe these can't be small enough to fit the likes of a Mavic 2.

I'm fuzzy on what difference it makes if you are in category 2 or 3 when flying over people.

It depends on the Kinetci Energy of the aircraft and RID requirements:
Ops over People, Category 2:

The PIC must use an aircraft that:

•Possesses a Declaration of Compliance.
•Does not transfer more than 11 ft/lbs of KE.
•Has no rotating parts that lacerate skin.
•Does not contain any safety defects.
•No sustained flights over open air assemblies w/o RID (concerts, construction sites, etc.).
•Labeled as such.
•Maintained records & instructions.
•Implementation date is dependent on when manufacturers can get their Declaration of Compliance approved.
•They can start submitting them 9-12 months after 4/16/21.

Ops over People, Category 3:

•Does not transfer more than 25 ft/lbs of KE.
•Labeled as such.
•Maintained records & instructions
•The PIC may not fly above open air assemblies.
•May only operate over people if:
•On a closed-site with notice given, or
•If person is directly part of the operation, or
•Under shelter or stationary vehicle.
•There is no RID requirement for this category.

Category 2 & 3 don' really matter right now because none can have a Declaration of Compliance any time soon. It's a moot point for probably another year or so.

Reactions: Vic Moss
There seems to be some concern on older devices. Truth is, at present, you do not need this until 2023? It has also been stated through the many educational sites that there should be a dongle you just put on your device and controller. At present, no worries. By 2023, you'll probably want a new drone anyway.

There seems to be some concern on older devices. Truth is, at present, you do not need this until 2023? It has also been stated through the many educational sites that there should be a dongle you just put on your device and controller. At present, no worries. By 2023, you'll probably want a new drone anyway.
First off WELCOME to the forum from someone from your neck of the woods (Haywood County here but I work in Cashiers/Highlands/Glenville often).

There is a lot more to the new FAA Rules than just RID. There is Operations Over People (OOP), Night Flight w/o Waiver, New Requirements to show ID/RPIC/Registration to ANY Law Enforcement Office and possibly some more.

Here is the full Executive Summary that lists them fairly clearly:

It depends on the Kinetci Energy of the aircraft and RID requirements:
Ops over People, Category 2:

•Does not transfer more than 11 ft/lbs of KE.
•No sustained flights over open air assemblies w/o RID (concerts, construction sites, etc.).
•Labeled as such.
•Maintained records & instructions.
•Implementation date is dependent on when manufacturers can get their Declaration of Compliance approved.
•They can start submitting them 9-12 months after 4/16/21.

Ops over People, Category 3:

•Does not transfer more than 25 ft/lbs of KE.
•Labeled as such.
•Maintained records & instructions
•The PIC may not fly above open air assemblies.
•May only operate over people if:
•On a closed-site with notice given, or
•If person is directly part of the operation, or
•Under shelter or stationary vehicle.
•There is no RID requirement for this category.

Category 2 & 3 don' really matter right now because none can have a Declaration of Compliance any time soon. It's a moot point for probably another year or so.
No rotating parts? What do they consider the props?

No rotating parts? What do they consider the props?

In order to meet the requirements for Operating Over People the Rotating parts must be:

A) Stopped from rotating (inertial motor kill system)
B) Completely enclosed in Prop Cages (not prop guards)

Reactions: Vic Moss
The question is how much does DJI want to invest in creating firmware, testing, and certifying old drones.
Yea sure they will..... or is DJI just another business like cell phone, tv, automobile, computer manufacturers/sellers that always have a newer, better, longer battery life model available for just another $100 dollars more than the one you just bought.

Prop Cages (not prop guards)
“Some existing Category 1 small unmanned aircraft may meet the performance-based requirements to be eligible for Category 1 operations over people of this rule beginning the effective date of the rule (Those that have already been produced with propeller guards/shrouds that prevent the blades from causing laceration to human skin upon impact).”

“Manufacturers may bring to market retrofit propeller guards to install on existing small unmanned aircraft to make them eligible for Category 1 operations over people beginning after effective date of this rule.

Last edited:
It is up to the RPIC to decide how they will comply with the "no exposed rotating parts" aspects of Category 1 of the OOP rules (14 CFR § 107.110).

So that could be motor kill, prop guards, prop cages, breakaway props, or even props made out of a non rigid material that would not "lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being".

It is the only category of Operations Over Human Beings that is self certified. But I will tell you that no matter which avenue of compliance you take, you better be right...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots