DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

I'm pretty sure FAA doesn't say a GPS reveiver has to be actually in the controller, only that the broadcast include the controller location.
It seems likely that DJI could update current Mavics to broadcast RID, but the remotes themselves don't have GPS. The apps rely on the mobile device in providing our location.

I suppose what will happen is if the mobile device is incapable of providing the AC the accurate RC location, the RID will operate as if it were a module even though it's built-in and the app notify the user that they are only type 2 compliant.
And if the user doesn't fly with the app, DJI drones already limit height and distance which would force VLOS.

But it still begs the question, how accurate does the location have to be, since there are alternative means to GPS
Yes, GPS of the control station could glean that info from the cell phone or tablet attached to it.

The issue would with non-GPS devices like smart controllers.

A lot of the details will be set as we get closer to the implementation. And when ASTM provides the FAA with their standards, even more will be answered.

You should watch Bruce's opinion about the new rule:
Bruce's opinion is so full of nonsense it's not worth anyone's time to watch it. I tried talking to him, but he doesn't want to listen. He doesn't understand as much about this as he thinks he does. It amazes me people listen to him anymore. He's quickly becoming irrelevant to all but his fervent followers.

Reactions: anotherlab
Base station GPS details is one of the things that need to be worked out. If the base station (controller) doesn't have GPS capabilities, it will require a module. In which case it will fly under Category 2.
What about hot spotting smart controller to cell phone to obtain GOS?

Reactions: anotherlab
SC already has GPS as it's an integrated RC and Android mobile device.

Those of us with regular RCs and mobile devices that don't have GPS would have a problem. Hotspot to a cellphone alone won't give the tablet GPS, though there may be apps out there to do it.

You're better off getting a Bluetooth GPS receiver for the tablet.

But not all of us know to do that or are willing to get yet another accessory.

Bruce's opinion is so full of nonsense it's not worth anyone's time to watch it. I tried talking to him, but he doesn't want to listen. He doesn't understand as much about this as he thinks he does. It amazes me people listen to him anymore. He's quickly becoming irrelevant to all but his fervent followers.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way. I "used" to watch some of his reviews of models etc and enjoyed them but he really doesn't speak for the Industry and his views are heavily skewed in the wrong direction. Now it's just a platform for him to thump his chest and try to push his channel.

Just my thoughts . . .

I believe the closer it becomes to mandatory date, there will many non-compliant drones coming up for sale. I wonder if drone manufacturers will establish some type of buy back or discount new compliant with trade in.

107’s would most likely be able to afford upgrade via business expense. But, for the many recreational pilots, it would seem they take the bite in the shorts. The companies that are on the approved vendor list will most likely establish a much high cost than necessary that they be allowed to realized significant profit. I for one am anxiously awaiting a cost estimate for my still very reliable Mavic Air and Spark, lest I dig a hole in the back yard and say parting prayer!

For our friends and neighbors across the longs and above/below the lats, it may be coming your way next!

Just my thoughts . . .

I believe the closer it becomes to mandatory date, there will many non-compliant drones coming up for sale. I wonder if drone manufacturers will establish some type of buy back or discount new compliant with trade in.

107’s would most likely be able to afford upgrade via business expense. But, for the many recreational pilots, it would seem they take the bite in the shorts. The companies that are on the approved vendor list will most likely establish a much high cost than necessary that they be allowed to realized significant profit. I for one am anxiously awaiting a cost estimate for my still very reliable Mavic Air and Spark, lest I dig a hole in the back yard and say parting prayer!

For our friends and neighbors across the longs and above/below the lats, it may be coming your way next!
Drones manufactured starting 18 months from the implementation date need to be compliant, and people have another 12 months after that to be compliant. So, any drone not compliant by the time you are required to be will be at least a year old.

Drones manufactured starting 18 months from the implementation date need to be compliant, and people have another 12 months after that to be compliant. So, any drone not compliant by the time you are required to be will be at least a year old.
I believe you missed the point. There will be hundreds, if not thousands, of US of A drones that need the modification to be compliant. I am positing the market will be absolutely flooded with either requests for a modifying kit and/or non-compliant drones for sale.

The suppliers of the kits, if almost any past rush on a product is adhered to, will command their unreasonable pricing. I further envision there will either be a market full of used non-compliant drones or mod kits at near present drone pricing! I’m sorry, but the initial offering of compliant drones (as I envision) is the (manufacturer compliant) drone pricing increased by at least half, and near present new drone cost for a compliant kit!

Is this the beginning of the end?!?

Reactions: badaxed
I believe you missed the point. There will be hundreds, if not thousands, of US of A drones that need the modification to be compliant. I am positing the market will be absolutely flooded with either requests for a modifying kit and/or non-compliant drones for sale.

The suppliers of the kits, if almost any past rush on a product is adhered to, will command their unreasonable pricing. I further envision there will either be a market full of used non-compliant drones or mod kits at near present drone pricing! I’m sorry, but the initial offering of compliant drones (as I envision) is the (manufacturer compliant) drone pricing increased by at least half, and near present new drone cost for a compliant kit!

Only the end of unmonitored flights by compliant people...

I’m sorry, but the initial offering of compliant drones (as I envision) is the (manufacturer compliant) drone pricing increased by at least half, and near present new drone cost for a compliant kit!
Just can’t see that happening. Manufacturers have to make a profit but the only way to do that is to sell their products. Some price increase is likely, but if they try to charge too much they’ll just price themselves out of the market.

Reactions: BigAl07
There will be a lot of folks selling, which is a shame. There is no need to. Once more info comes out and people get more educated, I see this not being an issue.
The suppliers of the kits, if almost any past rush on a product is adhered to, will command their unreasonable pricing.
Not at all. Market pricing will come into play. The cost of retrofit theses units will be in the $25-35 range. Enough people will producing and selling them, that they cost will be kept down. They only way it wouldn't is if they conspired to keep the cost high. And that's already illegal.

I further envision there will either be a market full of used non-compliant drones or mod kits at near present drone pricing! I’m sorry, but the initial offering of compliant drones (as I envision) is the (manufacturer compliant) drone pricing increased by at least half, and near present new drone cost for a compliant kit!
Also not true. DJI in particular has already said the cost increase will be marginal, if at all. And some of their drones can likely be undated with a simple firmware push. They're working on this technical aspects at this very time. DJI drones are already pretty much compliant, so the cost will hardly increase at all.
Nope. Just the beginning of safer and more responsible flight.

There will be a lot of folks selling, which is a shame. There is no need to. Once more info comes out and people get more educated, I see this not being an issue.

Not at all. Market pricing will come into play. The cost of retrofit theses units will be in the $25-35 range. Enough people will producing and selling them, that they cost will be kept down. They only way it wouldn't is if they conspired to keep the cost high. And that's already illegal.

Also not true. DJI in particular has already said the cost increase will be marginal, if at all. And some of their drones can likely be undated with a simple firmware push. They're working on this technical aspects at this very time. DJI drones are already pretty much compliant, so the cost will hardly increase at all.

Nope. Just the beginning of safer and more responsible flight.
Vic, I hope and pray, that is the case. The data I read online talks of significant up cost. Here's hoping it's BS!

Vic, I hope and pray, that is the case. The data I read online talks of significant up cost. Here's hoping it's BS!
I am intimately involved in this (much deeper than I thought I ever would be).

The FAA estimates the cost of each unit will be $50. I think they're off by about $15-20. And it would not surprise me if they ended up sub $20.

I am intimately involved in this (much deeper than I thought I ever would be).

The FAA estimates the cost of each unit will be $50. I think they're off by about $15-20. And it would not surprise me if they ended up sub $20.
I read the article on FAA.GOV. Congratulations. A knowledgable and worthy person was chosen. My congrats to you on that!

If you want to guage price of a module, see what GPS trackers go for. If you think about it, the module is a specialized tracker transmitting via WiFi and BT the module's location, and the stored location of when it detected motion and altitude change, and programmed identification information. Trackers go from $29.95 to $140 but only track and send current location.

Prices go down as demand goes up and more are produced. There are a lot of drones out there, but are there more drones needing a module than trackers sold for dogs, kids, and anything else needing to be tracked?

If you want to guage price of a module, see what GPS trackers go for.
You won't necessarily need something with GPS as the drone already has that position and height data available. Consequently, a module would be much cheaper to produce.

You won't necessarily need something with GPS as the drone already has that position and height data available. Consequently, a module would be much cheaper to produce.
The cost discussion is about the module, not any AC modifications that would have it considered built-in, such as a firmware update.

How would the module get the information from the AC? The idea is that it be autonomous, other than programming in your identity, and universal. Similar to the trackers some of us use to find our drones when they crash, or strobe lights.

The cost discussion is about the module, not any AC modifications that would have it considered built-in, such as a firmware update.

How would the module get the information from the AC? The idea is that it be autonomous, other than programming in your identity, and universal. Similar to the trackers some of us use to find our drones when they crash, or strobe lights.
My thought was that if the drone was already transmitting this information back to the RC, the module would just need to receive it from the drone and retransmit it on the appropriate frequency.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent