DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

The 400' bubble is a 107/44809 issue, not an RID issue. It is still there for recreational flyers.

The FAA decided not to define VLOS in the Final Rule. However, inside info says they are going to basically keep the current definition. Which means FPV can still fly with a VO.
Well I feel for the 107 crowd but I'm glad I can still fly out to a few thousand feet provided I stay below 400. Many times I'm out in the middle of nowhere wanting to get an image of a subject that is much further away than 400 feet.
Well I feel for the 107 crowd but I'm glad I can still fly out to a few thousand feet provided I stay below 400. Many times I'm out in the middle of nowhere wanting to get an image of a subject that is much further away than 400 feet.

Hey everyone,

Reading this with great interest. I spent hours reading the FAA doc, specifically looking for how this will work in remote areas with zero cellular and zero WiFi. For example, if I am off the coast of California shooting migrating whales with my drone, I usually have no connection in any way. Same with shooting in remote, mountainous areas and deep desert locations. So assuming by the time all of this comes to fruition and I, we, everyone has RID compliant drones, I could not find any language that talks about this scenario and how it would work. They mention that it was a big topic of frustration with many during the public response periods, but I just don't see how the drone would be able to fly in this common circumstance and be compliant. In laymen terms, can anyone explain how this scenario is supposed to work? I'm in a remote location. I have zero WiFi. I have zero cellular connectivity. Is the circumstance that I cannot fly?

Joe

Which places in CA like these allow you to launch and land drones?

Most coastal areas are national or state parks or marine reserves.

I don't know about deserts but most mountains are also in parks with bans on drones.

My review if anyone is interested:

Excellent review so I don't have to plow through 400+ pages of bureacratese. Thanks. The thing that fears me most is broadcasting the control station location and the expectation that all Law Enforcement will know what's legal and not. Ha. If you believe that I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. He's also correct that it's inevitable people up-to-no-good will show up at your launch location to do who knows what? I pity the pilots that live in areas of the country where concealed carry permits are not handed out except to the well-connected and privileged elite. (I guess they can always use slingshots to defend their property and themselves ...... except of course in NJ where it's a felony to own, transport or use one.) Sadly, it looks like I might be bowing out of the drone world - or switch to a Mavic Mini - before this is implemented and becomes mandatory. :-(

I need to seriously consider selling my Mavic 2 Zoom, M2ED and Inspire 1 with Zenmuse thermal camera.

Last edited:
Which places in CA like these allow you to launch and land drones?

Most coastal areas are national or state parks or marine reserves.

I don't know about deserts but most mountains are also in parks with bans on drones.
I'm talking 100 plus miles out to sea, not in the National Parks. If I'm driving across country and I am in a nice area to shoot, I check my apps for sectional chart compliance and always make sure I am not in a national park. There is a lot of territory in the US that does not fall under NPS or state park jurisdiction. I am speaking about those "off the grid" areas.

Reactions: RCdancer
The 400ft is referring to height, not distance. Both 107 and recreational are bound to 400ft AGL, but part 107 flights are also able to go 400ft above a structure, such as a tower or building, as long as they are within 400ft of the structure laterally. This is so they can inspect the entire structure, even if the structure is 400ft or more tall.

I'm talking 100 plus miles out to sea, not in the National Parks. If I'm driving across country and I am in a nice area to shoot, I check my apps for sectional chart compliance and always make sure I am not in a national park. There is a lot of territory in the US that does not fall under NPS or state park jurisdiction. I am speaking about those "off the grid" areas.1

100 miles out is international waters. No FAA worries out there.

And being off the grid won't affect RID at all. It's 100% off the grid already.

I understand over ppl and away from airports. Of course over ppl is being changes so amazon and others can fly. We don't pay enough. I'm glad all you ppl seem to think it's okay to just follow and try to think of ways to "fix" things. If you're using this for income, fine, but it's a (deleted by moderator) hobby. They can pound sand. The ama did [Language removed by ADMIN ], everyone is so happy,"oh boy, they still let us fly." Yay America our freedoms. Boy oh boy, we can fly in our yards. And don't say it won't get worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone,

Reading this with great interest. I spent hours reading the FAA doc, specifically looking for how this will work in remote areas with zero cellular and zero WiFi. For example, if I am off the coast of California shooting migrating whales with my drone, I usually have no connection in any way. Same with shooting in remote, mountainous areas and deep desert locations. So assuming by the time all of this comes to fruition and I, we, everyone has RID compliant drones, I could not find any language that talks about this scenario and how it would work. They mention that it was a big topic of frustration with many during the public response periods, but I just don't see how the drone would be able to fly in this common circumstance and be compliant. In laymen terms, can anyone explain how this scenario is supposed to work? I'm in a remote location. I have zero WiFi. I have zero cellular connectivity. Is the circumstance that I cannot fly?

Joe
Thank you! You saved me from trying to finish reading 'the rule'. Sounds like they didn't address it.

I was trying to find answer to exact same question, without the ocean aspect. And no, I'm not gonna say where I might wanna fly that prompted me to have the same question, but I will say its 100% legal and as you say, there is alot of places like that.

Sounds like the answer is...fly, have transmitter (my word for the **** device) working and if no connection, not my fault...and thats all I can do about it.

Last edited:
Thank you! You saved me from trying to finish reading 'the rule'. Sounds like they didn't address it.

I was trying to find answer to exact same question, without the ocean aspect. And no, I'm not gonna say where I might wanna fly that prompted me to have the same question, but I will say its 100% legal and as Kelpfish says, there is alot of places like that.

Sounds like the answer is...fly, have transmitter (my word for the **** device) working and if no connection, not my fault...and shhhh from here one out.
Again, there is no requirement to have internet access to fly. That aspect of the RID rules was eliminated from the NPRM.

No one needs internet to fly. The drone will broadcast all of the information via wifi or Bluetooth. And that is very limiting. In pristine conditions you may get 1KM from BT, and shorter from Wifi. So if you're out in the middle of nowhere, and no one is within the range of your broadcast, no one will pick it up.

No internet is required.

There is no 400 distance from controller. It's AGL. I just got back in from flights well over 1200' horizontally tonight in my n'hood.

I think you're confused about what the 400' bubble is. That means we as 107 pilots aren't limits to 400'AGL when it comes to structures. The 400' bubble means we can fly up to 400' above a structure, and within 400' of the structure.

Reactions: Thomas B
Again, there is no requirement to have internet access to fly. That aspect of the RID rules was eliminated from the NPRM.

No one needs internet to fly. The drone will broadcast all of the information via wifi or Bluetooth. And that is very limiting. In pristine conditions you may get 1KM from BT, and shorter from Wifi. So if you're out in the middle of nowhere, and no one is within the range of your broadcast, no one will pick it up.

No internet is required.
I think you might have that backwards. WiFi can go beyond 1KM, as MM1 and MA1 use enhanced WiFi and can exceed 1KM.

I doubt BT can go anywhere near 1KM.

Reactions: Vic Moss
There is no 400 distance from controller. It's AGL. I just got back in from flights well over 1200' horizontally tonight in my n'hood.

I think you're confused about what the 400' bubble is. That means we as 107 pilots aren't limits to 400'AGL when it comes to structures. The 400' bubble means we can fly up to 400' above a structure, and within 400' of the structure.
If you are willing to spend 90 minutes watching a video, Greg from Pilot institute does a great job of explaining the new FAA regulations to include Remote id, flying at night, flying over people, drone classes 1 through 4, and much more.

He is having another question and answer session tomorrow Sunday 1/3/2020 on you tube at 11:30 Eastern time.

Blue Skies and Happy Trails

Reactions: Vic Moss
I think you might have that backwards. WiFi can go beyond 1KM, as MM1 and MA1 use enhanced WiFi and can exceed 1KM.

Possibly. I'm just going off of what I've read of been told about BT. BT5 is longer range, but like wifi, it is line of site. So the lower we fly, the smaller the broadcast radius is. The wifi can be longer, but it's unlikely the power to drive long distance broadcast will be too powerful.

My business partner at DSPA was on the RID ARC, as well as works with the F38 ATSM group. And he holds a patent on a broadcast RID system. So he knows his stuff. I just get to soak up his knowledge.

If you are willing to spend 90 minutes watching a video, Greg from Pilot institute does a great job of explaining the new FAA regulations to include Remote id, flying at night, flying over people, drone classes 1 through 4, and much more.

He is having another question and answer session tomorrow Sunday 1/3/2020 on you tube at 11:30 Eastern time.

Blue Skies and Happy Trails
Greg does a good job. But as far as RID, I'm good. I've been working on it with the FAA since before it was released. ?

Reactions: B52-D

Yeah I understand that. Originally I was told if our UAV did not transmit we had to fly in a 400 foot bubble during recreational flight unless in a FRIA. Wrong?bubble.jpg

Yeah I understand that. Originally I was told if our UAV did not transmit we had to fly in a 400 foot bubble during recreational flight unless in a FRIA. Wrong?View attachment 120675
That isn't in the Final Rule. If you don't have RID, you're restricted to FRIAs or drones under 250g.

That isn't in the Final Rule. If you don't have RID, you're restricted to FRIAs or drones under 250g.
That's how I read it. All I'll have to do put on a approved transmitter I'll be able to fly as I have over the past year...VLOS and 400AGL or lower.
90% of my flights are often out to +/-2000 feet or so and around 30-100' AGL.

That's how I read it. All I'll have to do put on a approved transmitter I'll be able to fly as I have over the past year...VLOS and 400AGL or lower.
90% of my flights are often out to +/-2000 feet or so and around 30-100' AGL.
VLOS rules will still apply, but yeah, you'll be able to fly outside a FRIA.

Reactions: dronerdave

Not even close. Bluetooth beacons max out at about 450m.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.