DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Remote ID NPRM overview

Your thoughts bud?

I'm still digesting it but I don't see anything different than the original. It looks more like a Cliff's Notes than anything.

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
Your thoughts bud?

I'm still digesting it but I don't see anything different than the original. It looks more like a Cliff's Notes than anything.

Agreed - I thought that it might be a more digestible read for all those who complained that the NPRM was too long and difficult to understand.

Makes the original 300-odd pages easier to understand.
Big Question—-Which part of the existing fleet? Mavics ?

“Retrofits
 An important assumption used in this analysis involves the availability of retrofits.
 The FAA received information from industry on the potential to retrofit during Executive Order 12866 meetings from September through December, 2019.
 Part of the existing fleet of UAS could be retrofit to comply with remote identification requirements with relative ease and minimal cost (e.g., by a software update or “push” through the internet) and this could be achieved within the first year after the effective date of the final rule given the availability of FAA-accepted means of compliance.
 Savings
 This proposal would provide cost savings for the FAA and law enforcement resulting from a....”

Reactions: Thomas B
Someone shared the following document with me on YouTube that provides some excellent guidelines for providing comments to the FAA during the comment period. I think it is very helpful and so I am posting here. My apologies if it has already been posted (I did not search for it on the forums) but it fits well with the subject of this thread. This document comes the FPV Freedom Coalition. Note that you do not need to be a FPV flyer to benefit from these suggestions.

Attached is a PDF version of the guidelines.

Attachments

• RemoteID Comment Guide.pdf
    350.2 KB · Views: 10
I haven't seen this posted here yet:

As a side note, the link below is to the CDA (Commercial Drone Alliance). They seem to have been instrumental in defining this proposal. Might want to check this out....especially the Manufacturers/Corporations who are active members. (Skydio, Apple, etc). They make clearly their intentions. Come on everyone...let's get our "opinions" to the FAA!

As a side note, the link below is to the CDA (Commercial Drone Alliance). They seem to have been instrumental in defining this proposal. Might want to check this out....especially the Manufacturers/Corporations who are active members. (Skydio, Apple, etc). They make clearly their intentions. Come on everyone...let's get our "opinions" to the FAA!

Sorry to reply to myself, however, today the DOI grounded all DJI drones, or any product using Chinese parts, for security issues and “encouraged” the purchase/use of domestic drones (Skydio, etc?). Not good that a supposedly non-partisan public government agency is promoting/endorsing products by instilling fear and hyperbole!

Sorry to reply to myself, however, today the DOI grounded all DJI drones, or any product using Chinese parts, for security issues and “encouraged” the purchase/use of domestic drones (Skydio, etc?). Not good that a supposedly non-partisan public government agency is promoting/endorsing products by instilling fear and hyperbole!

Today?

interesting that they will allow it when needed in a broad number of instances. Quit from the article:
“The WSJ [paywall] reports that Interior Secretary David Bernhardt said his department will grant exceptions for tracking wildfires by air and for emergencies where human safety or property damage are at risk, such as search-and-rescue operations. Drone training flights are also exempt from this new rule.”

I can't imagine this rule would include components like capacitors and resistors because a huge portion of those components are made in China. Even companies where the ownership is another country, Samsung (Korean), TDK and Murata (Japan), AVX (US), etc., have facilities in China making these components for them. If the ban included ever component down to basic passive components very few drones would be in compliance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb