DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA RPIC/Part 107 . . . they don't "Expire"

Exactly where does it say I cannot fly over my neighbors roof while flying recreationally and then tell him your chimney has fallen down?

It doesn't say anything about your moral compass etc. That's all on your shoulders.

Reactions: LoudThunder
That is not any kind of answer. I ask a serious question and get a non answer. OK got it.
NEGATIVE! You didn't get the answer you WANTED and it ruffled YOUR feathers. That's on YOU!

If you're moral compass is that "vague" as to "skirt the laws" then that's 100% on your shoulders. The CFR's cover UAS flight VERY thoroughly but they have nothing to do with your MORAL compass.

Keep in mind that if your INTENT is to skirt the law, your INTENT is to break the law. It's really that simple even if you don't like or agree with the answer.

Sad and you are an administrator. Has nothing to do with my moral compass or skirting the law. Has to do with clarification of the FARs.

• Sad
Exactly where does it say I cannot fly over my neighbors roof while flying recreationally and then tell him your chimney has fallen down?

It's posted on the FAA's "Recreational Flyers & Community-Based Organization" page. I highlighted in bold the sentence that covers this.

Non-recreational drone flying include things like taking photos to help sell a property or service, roof inspections, or taking pictures of a high school football game for the school's website. Goodwill can also be considered non-recreational. This would include things like volunteering to use your drone to survey coastlines on behalf of a non-profit organization.

Reactions: LoudThunder and okw
Sad and you are an administrator. Has nothing to do with my moral compass or skirting the law. Has to do with clarification of the FARs.

Sad? lol

Yes I'm Admin here but I'm also very deeply and long term involved in UAS operations on many levels. I gave you the facts and you just didn't like them. You can NOT RECREATE for someone else PERIOD! If you decide to do as you suggested, try and SKIRT the regulations, that's totally on your shoulders.

I clarified and you just didn't like it and wanted to dwell in the non-existent grey area,

If you read the thread from the beginning, you would realize that this subject was specifically addressed and explained with examples...in the FIRST post

Well stated Mark. I didn't even see that member's off-base reply. Apparently some members just try to find/create confusion and grey area where none exists.

Not just to 24 months but to the last day of the 24th month.

As @MARK (LI) pointed out, your remark was specifically addressed in my very first post. Here's an exact Copy/Paste from the post for your reading clarity:

Your RPIC/Part 107 is good (if all other things remain constant) until the END of the MONTH 24 months after you become Current. It's the END of the MONTH that so many people don't understand so let's dig into that one.

As the French would say, explaining that very point was the raison d'être of the thread......I noticed that some people just like to argue ...and I think the rest of us on the forum are rather happy....and consider ourselves fortunate that you are on Staff here....thank you for what you do on the forum and in general for the hobby

Pretty sad when an administrator starts talking about a person moral compass and their intent to skirt the FARs. I genuinely wanted clarification and still would like to know the authors of the FAR reason to say flying a drone over your neighbors house with his knowledge for no compensation is not recreational. Did the FAA come up with this or was included to satisfy those flying drones for a business such as roof inspectors?

• Sad
.... I genuinely wanted clarification and still would like to know the authors of the FAR reason to say flying a drone over your neighbors house with his knowledge for no compensation is not recreational. Did the FAA come up with this or was included to satisfy those flying drones for a business such as roof inspectors?
By the reasoning of the FAA, if you fly over a neighbor's house and provide information that he would have had to hire someone for, then the usage is not recreational. Even when you are not compensated, it is still considered a non-recreational use.

You replied to my comment yesterday so apparently you did see it.

Once again you are incorrect. I replied to a comment of yours but I did NOT see that one or I would have ABSOLUTELY replied to it. As you can see, I like to use facts and such instead of dwelling in the grey area. If I had seen your comment I would have replied. You replied to a couple of posts here and when I came here I replied to the first one of yours I saw. Then you replied to my reply and I never went back and read your other reply trying to correct my initial post. When Mark mentioned it, that brought it to my attention and I then replied and addressed it. It's as simple as THAT! Keep in mind, the comment of yours I replied to is on PAGE 1 of this thread and your above mentioned (and incorrect) reply was on Page 2.

I gave clear incite into the FARs but you kept trying to insert the "Grey Area" which is 100% skirting the regulations. I simply called you out on it and you didn't appreciate the corrections.

I merely stated IF you did what YOU suggested it was on YOUR shoulders. You are the one who is trying to find a loop hole etc. Let's try a different approach as to help you understand the FARs..

Scenario A: You're flying purely for recreational FUN and you happen to notice a problem with your neighbor's roof and tell him, you are fully within ~44809 and still legal. You went up with NO intention to do anything but fly recreationally. LEGAL!

Scenario A: Your friend has asked you or suggested to you that he/she has a suspicion of a problem on their roof. You fly with the INTENT to inspect your neighbor's roof to assist your neighbor. The INTENT/PURPOSE of the flight is no longer purely recreational and therefore piercing the protective bubble of ~44809. At that point you are wholly liable for every aspect of Part 107 in it's entirely. If you don't have your Part 107 or you are no longer current that flight is purely ILLEGAL.

You can not legally fly under ~44809 and Part 107 in the same flight and sill be fully within the FAR! No matter how you try to dice it and manipulate your scenarios, flying to ASSIST someone else is NOT within ~44809.

Now being realistic, no one is going to care of even KNOW if you're busting the regulations to assist your neighbor unless there is some type of INCIDENT. It's still on YOUR shoulders regardless of if it's "caught" or not. Once again, fully reliant upon your own moral compass.

By the reasoning of the FAA, if you fly over a neighbor's house and provide information that he would have had to hire someone for, then the usage is not recreational. Even when you are not compensated, it is still considered a non-recreational use.
So if I am flying for fun and fly over my neighbors house and notice damage or water leaking from a broken pipe in his back yard I am not suppose to tell him? I will be breaking a law if I do? Come on guys does that seem reasonable to you?

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
So if I am flying for fun and fly over my neighbors house and notice damage or water leaking from a broken pipe in his back yard I am not suppose to tell him? I will be breaking a law if I do? Come on guys does that seem reasonable to you?

You are completely missing the whole point here... Read my Scenario A vs Scenario B above. It very CLEARLY explains this "theory" of yours.

Reactions: okw and anotherlab
Look, I am not going to address the moral, ethical, or legality of telling your neighbor his chimney fell down, but I would imagine your neighbor knows that… L 😁 L . . .

But the issue is whether flying over his house and then telling him his "Chimney Fell Down" constitutes recreational flying or not, and it does not…

I do not believe anyone would fault you for telling your neighbor the chimney fell down, I certainly would not fault you and if it was me, I would tell him but I am Part 107 licensed so I could tell him, but not if I was flying my Mini 2, because it does not have RID and I cannot fly it in any Part 107 operation…

But I digress… This is the FAA's link that says it all…

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_flyers

But to clarify it the link says this…

"Non-recreational drone flying include things like taking photos to help sell a property or service, roof inspections, or taking pictures of a high school football game for the school's website. Goodwill can also be considered non-recreational. This would include things like volunteering to use your drone to survey coastlines on behalf of a non-profit organization."

Did you see the words, "Non-Recreational…" , that means you are not fling for fun… Next, "GOODWILL" is the key word, you might not get paid, but you would be compensated by your neighbor's goodwill and that is what make this Non-Recreational…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkanoz86