DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Says Manual Authorizations for Recreational Pilots a No-Go (at least for now)

JAW

Did I Just Back Into That Tree?
Reactions
I emailed UAShelp with this question:

Can you point me to where I, as a recreational pilot, can complete a
manual request for authorization to fly at an airport not served by LAANC?
Thank you

This is the reply I received:

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

At present, you do not have that option. Manual (non-LAANC) authorization requests through DroneZone should be available for recreational flyers later this year. Please monitor Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations

Yeah, I live right at the Class D boundary for a municipal airport that is not supported by LAANC so I can no longer fly from home. Fortunately, I have lots of wide-open Class G Texas sky available within about 5 minutes. I will be putting DroneZone to the test when it comes up for rec flyers. Since DroneZone is not real-time (or NEAR), I'll be putting in daily authorization requests until I have it down to a science or until we come to an agreement ; )

I'm in the same boat. According to this FAA link, you can request an authorization for up to six months.
That's good to know, thanks. I hope that doesn't end up being exclusive to the part 107 folks. I could see some projects requiring lengthy authorizations. I'm not sure if they would do that for the recreational folks. If they do then great, but I have my doubts.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven