DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Section 349, Recreational Operations ~ The bits & pieces

That's true, but it's ridiculous when an organization starts enforcing rules the same day that it informs the public.

As an example, the state of MN recently made it illegal to talk on a cell phone on a non-hands free device. The State Patrol has been having a marketing campaign for months already about this and the law doesn't even go into affect until August 1st.

Exactly! I don’t care about ATC having the information before me. I’d just like to know about rule changes before they happen not AFTER.

It’s like that thing where they woke up one morning saying that the FAA# had to be on the outside of the drone starting immediately. Well I didn’t learn about that till after I had gone out flying that day and I’m pretty well connected. It feels like entrapment.

These rules aren't NEW to us.... the only thing new is this memo and the official date. We've had months to read about and even give our INPUT into the new Section 349.

You should be able to find threads about the new rules and such on just about every sUAS forum that has members of the United States. They just happen to go into effect at the end of this week.

We only know that because some controller understood it would be better to let people know before hand that it was going to happen.

Reactions: Drgnfli
These rules aren't NEW to us.... the only thing new is this memo and the official date. We've had months to read about and even give our INPUT into the new Section 349.

You should be able to find threads about the new rules and such on just about every sUAS forum that has members of the United States. They just happen to go into effect at the end of this week.
I think it's very clear that I'm not complaining about the rules. I overall think that they're a good thing. What I am complaining about is the lack of forewarning of when the rules are to go in effect. If the FAA, outside of any employees who are sharing the memo, does not share that the rules are going live, before they actually go live, then they can't really expect to enforce those rules immediately, which leads to more misinformation and gray areas.

In my previous example, the MN State Patrol is clearly making it obvious that they expect to enforce those new laws on August 1st.

Am I reading this correct? My local non-tower airport is class E with the floor at 700'. So I can fly right over it as long as I am below 400' and give the right of way to manned aircraft?

Am I reading this correct? My local non-tower airport is class E with the floor at 700'. So I can fly right over it as long as I am below 400' and give the right of way to manned aircraft?

That would be the same as the current rules for Part 107 and yes - that is how Section 349 is worded.

Surely FAA will have some kind of grace period for drone pilots. Letting any reregistration be required as current ones expire for instance, ...just to prevent half a million registrations from hitting them in a week or less. (Assuming half of US drone pilots now fly under 336... just a guess on the number)

Surely FAA will have some kind of grace period for drone pilots. Letting any reregistration be required as current ones expire for instance, ...just to prevent half a million registrations from hitting them in a week or less. (Assuming half of US drone pilots now fly under 336... just a guess on the number)

I would not expect them to require anyone to re-register. The existing 336 registrations should be fine.

Registration requirement has been in place for awhile now (both illegal and then legal). New reqs don't require any additional or new reg.

Just because the rules are now law doesn't mean your current "Registration" goes null & void. Those were just guidelines and now they are codified into law.

If FAA pays for the test, fine. If not, I’ll fly without it. The whole community based guidelines in cahoots with FAA thugs will be impossible in many cases. In the end, FAA will turn many recreational flyers into “outlaws” — a uniquely American status. Molon Labe????

Reactions: sgrinavi
If FAA pays for the test, fine. If not, I’ll fly without it. The whole community based guidelines in cahoots with FAA thugs will be impossible in many cases. In the end, FAA will turn many recreational flyers into “outlaws” — a uniquely American status. Molon Labe????

And that's why we are stuck with increased regulations etc. Maybe, just maybe the test will be ONLINE and FREE (like the Part 61 sUAS test is) and you won't have to worry about the cost at all. Just take the test, get the paper and then fly legally.... one can definitely hope.....

Reactions: sar104

The FAA is simply trying to implement what Congress required of them. This won't turn law-abiding pilots into outlaws - but those like yourself, who know better than everyone else and get to pick and choose which laws to follow, will no doubt continue to break the law with impunity while constantly whining about increased regulation. Or maybe it's just all talk.

Reactions: BigAl07
The FAA is simply trying to implement what Congress required of them. This won't turn law-abiding pilots into outlaws - but those like yourself, who know better than everyone else and get to pick and choose which laws to follow, will no doubt continue to break the law with impunity while constantly whining about increased regulation. Or maybe it's just all talk.
Bravely spoken. You don’t know me, so until you do don’t throw false courage around. I’m all for remaining law-abiding, but government over-reach is killing this hobby.

Bravely spoken. You don’t know me, so until you do don’t throw false courage around. I’m all for remaining law-abiding, but government over-reach is killing this hobby.

Oh dear. You are not going to last long around here.

• Angry
Reactions: Maviac and sgrinavi
There are just laws and unjust laws. As a past Reserve Sheriff’s Deputy I helped enforce the law. As a free citizen I have a moral obligation to oppose immoral and unjust laws. I’m not a drone worker ant with his head bent low doing whatever his “master” tells him to do.

I’m still here. I’ve read your replies in the past and it’s always the same “bumper sticker” maxim, ie, accusing others of picking and choosing which laws to follow. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Reactions: sgrinavi
I’m still here. I’ve read your replies in the past and it’s always the same “bumper sticker” maxim, ie, accusing others of picking and choosing which laws to follow. Nothing could be further from the truth.

You mean when people post that they are going to pick and choose which laws to follow, like you did? It wasn't an accusation, it was an observation - you openly admitted to it.

The forum administrators have the power to boot me from membership anytime. But in the end such action will say more about this forum than about me. I can only try to keep an open mind and be respectful of the opinions of others. I surely hope this forum doesn’t morph into an arena for the intellectually elite but emotionally [Edited by Admin].

Last edited by a moderator:
The forum administrators have the power to boot me from membership anytime. But in the end such action will say more about this forum than about me. I can only try to keep an open mind and be respectful of the opinions of others. I surely hope this forum doesn’t morph into an arena for the intellectually elite but emotionally retarded.

It will if you keep posting nonsense about "FAA thugs", "government overreach" and throwing ad hominems rather than having an intelligent discussion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada