DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA TRUST Knowledge Test for Recreational Pilots

51 Drones

Reactions
The FAA has announced The Recreational UAS Safety Test. Is it a waste of time, or actually good info?

In the UK we have had something similar for the last eighteen months and it consists of a Operator ID which has to be displayed on the drone, that lasts a year and is £9 a year ,then we also have the flyer ID which is free and now lasts 5 years ,so after watching 51 drones video i think that up to now what you have in the US is very good compared to our system we are also answerable to LEs and they have the power to issue fines for none compliance if they decide to do so

Reactions: SpitFire
The FAA has announced The Recreational UAS Safety Test. Is it a waste of time, or actually good info?

I will repeat- most, if not all, of this information is part of our original teaching! I still believe it is a CYA (e.g.: cover your tuchas) act by the FAA. I would not be really surprised if the next time around, somebody will figure out a way to make this more difficult and mandatory and charge a fee.

Count me as skeptical.

Reactions: Jam0ne
The test for Recurrent 107 is the same way! To make matters worse - the FAA has not made the following clear;
1. If you have a 107 Cert do you need the TRUST Cert?
2. If you have your drone(s) registered under your 107 Cert, do you need to double register them under the TRUST Cert?

Reactions: Jam0ne
And if anyone in Canada is wondering if we have anything like this, yes we do. Every 24 months after you get certified, Transport Canada requires you to update your certification to ensure you remain current.
You have four options to choose from when updating your certification: - Take a Transport Canada RPAS Exam (Basic or Advanced) - Conducted a Flight Review with an Examiner - Attend a Transport-Canada approved Recency Seminar ("Rust Remover")
- Complete the Transport Canada RPAS Self-Study Program (most common one used.)

1. If you have a 107 Cert do you need the TRUST Cert?
2. If you have your drone(s) registered under your 107 Cert, do you need to double register them under the TRUST Cert?
The way I understand it is if you fly rec you must have it. 107 folks can fly rec or not, but if you are 107 certified and wish to fly rec you must pass the TRUST test. The TRUST exam has nothing to do with registration numbers.

The way I understand it is if you fly rec you must have it. 107 folks can fly rec or not, but if you are 107 certified and wish to fly rec you must pass the TRUST test. The TRUST exam has nothing to do with registration numbers.
What do you mean by "fly rec"?

If you mean "Fly under section 44809 rules", then, yes, anyone who flies under 44809 must abide by the 44809 rules, and they have always included the requirement to pass the aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g).

But if you're using the phrase "fly rec" to mean "fly for recreational purposes", you're wrong. A Part 107 remote pilot certificate allows the holder to fly under Part 107 rules. Part 107 rules don't require passing the TRUST test, and they do allow flying for any purposes: recreational, commercial, or other.

It's true that there's virtually no reason why a Part 107 remote pilot would want to avoid taking the TRUST test, since it is quick, easy, and free.

But it's not required for a Part 107 remote pilot who wants to fly recreationally under Part 107 rules.

Reactions: sar104
What do you mean by "fly rec"?

If you mean "Fly under section 44809 rules", then, yes, anyone who flies under 44809 must abide by the 44809 rules, and they have always included the requirement to pass the aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g).

But if you're using the phrase "fly rec" to mean "fly for recreational purposes", you're wrong. A Part 107 remote pilot certificate allows the holder to fly under Part 107 rules. Part 107 rules don't require passing the TRUST test, and they do allow flying for any purposes: recreational, commercial, or other.

It's true that there's virtually no reason why a Part 107 remote pilot would want to avoid taking the TRUST test, since it is quick, easy, and free.

But it's not required for a Part 107 remote pilot who wants to fly recreationally under Part 107 rules.
Yes 44809. Thanks for the update. That makes more sense to me now. So if you are dealing with an incident that the police and/or the FAA need to be involved with, you could just show your proof you're 107 qualified, state you're flying for recreational purposes under that, and that is all you'll need? BTW I'm not 107 certified so my knowledge is somewhat vague to those rules.

Also Rich, in post 11 of this thread, the video was a bit misleading I guess. Edit: so was the video in post 1 of this thread.

Last edited:
So if you are dealing with an incident that the police and/or the FAA need to be involved with, you could just show your proof you're 107 qualified, state you're flying for recreational purposes under that, and that is all you'll need? BTW I'm not 107 certified so my knowledge is somewhat vague to those rules.
Right. Part 107 has no mention of or restrictions on the purpose of the flight, so if you're flying under Part 107, you just need to show your license. Period. You don't need to state whether or not the flight was recreational. I suppose if a police officer suspects you might have been scouting a site in preparation for a future criminal act, or invading someone's privacy, he might ask you the purpose of your flight, and it might be a relevant question for some purposes. But it's not relevant to determining whether the flight complied with FAA rules.

Reactions: Jam0ne and sar104
Start here and the next few posts

Start here and the next few posts

Yep same link I posted above.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman