DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Factory-programmed flight restrictions?

Frosty314

Reactions
I'm really wanting to purchase a mavic, but I live within 5 miles of a small town municipal airport. I thought I heard a salesperson at a drone event say that a chip inside the UAV prevents it from flying close to airports without an unlock code from the FAA upon granted permission.

Is this true? Will I even be able to fly the thing in my own yard when I open and charge it and without permission? Or, is an un-lock code needed for unique things like flying on an airport, or within 1 mile, or above 400ft, etc?

I am aware of the whole "notify a nearby airport when flying" business. It's just the *possibility* of flying w/o any permission or un-locking.

(If relevant, they have two united connecting flights (small regional jets) to DFW each day, and a small flight program for Oklahoma State University.)
I've been reading about basic UAV

I've had my Mavic for several months now and relatively trouble free but since the latest avalanche of updates I'm not able to ascend above ~30m. I live within a mile and a half of a small, uncontrolled coastal airport so I suspect I'm being geofenced by the software. I've reviewed all the settings and have not seen or recognized anything that would allow full function. Suggestions anyone?

I've had my Mavic for several months now and relatively trouble free but since the latest avalanche of updates I'm not able to ascend above ~30m. I live within a mile and a half of a small, uncontrolled coastal airport so I suspect I'm being geofenced by the software. I've reviewed all the settings and have not seen or recognized anything that would allow full function. Suggestions anyone?

If you are limited to 30m that's the non-registered limitation. Make sure you are logged in and registered on DJI Go. There is no geofencing that will limit you to 30m.

I'm really wanting to purchase a mavic, but I live within 5 miles of a small town municipal airport. I thought I heard a salesperson at a drone event say that a chip inside the UAV prevents it from flying close to airports without an unlock code from the FAA upon granted permission.

Is this true? Will I even be able to fly the thing in my own yard when I open and charge it and without permission? Or, is an un-lock code needed for unique things like flying on an airport, or within 1 mile, or above 400ft, etc?

I am aware of the whole "notify a nearby airport when flying" business. It's just the *possibility* of flying w/o any permission or un-locking.

(If relevant, they have two united connecting flights (small regional jets) to DFW each day, and a small flight program for Oklahoma State University.)

I live within 5 miles of an airport. The FAA rules say you must notify the airport and I just tell DJI Go that I have complied and I have no flight restrictions. I have all the latest App and firmware.

Buy one from Walmart or Amazon, if can't take off in your own yard after all the firmware upgrade and DJI Go4 upgrade, then refund it, Plain and Simple.

Try to get DJI approval to fly within NFZ, dream on, LOL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest