DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Failure to connect.

THEYNINE

Reactions
I was at a burger/seafood shack ,by a large lake, with no other customers. I figured I’d shoot a quick ‘lakeside seafood shack’ YELP video with the mini. Hooked everything up, powered everything on, DJIFLY stopped at the connection page.
Swapped the card, rebooted, no connection. So I try to fly it manually without a screen, still wont bind.
There are quite a few power lines around for, I dont know, interference possibilities? It was almost like a lakefront property owner anti drone signal jammer. Doubt it, but my imagination was up and running. Anyway, I get home… same issue. So much for ANTI-DRONE conspiracy theories. For the hell of it I decide to throw DJIFLY out and reinstall. Yah… now it works. Wasn’t really expecting that since I figured it would fly without the app, in manual mode, which it did not. Not sure what to think of that.
Did the reinstallation of the DJIFLY app really solve the problem, or did the thing just suddenly start working on its own and the app thing was just a coincidence? I was under the impression you could fly a mini with just the drone and a controller,
not needing an ipad or a phone. Twilight zone s#!t.

The controller and drone should connect to one another without the app running and, for that matter, without the phone being connected to the controller.
There are no-fly zones where a drone will not take off but I do not know where knowledge of the location of those no-fly zones is stored. If it is not on the drone or controller, it is likely that a drone should takeoff, from anywhere, without an app but, from memory, the range and height may be severely limited.

I have just made an indoor test flight (no GPS) with the phone physically disconnected from the controller. I will say that I did initially have to connect the phone to authorise/accept-reponsibility-for-the-light or some such thing because, indoors here, the drone thinks the lighting is too poor for the VPS to work (once flying the lighting is sufficient).
Once I authorised the flight etc. I disconnected the phone, started the motors with the CSC, took off by throttling up, flew about a bit and landed by closing the throttle.
The 'phoneless/app-less' flight mode is most likely the P mode, that is the default flight mode at the start of the first flight in any given power up.
S and C flight modes will carry over from one flight to the next providing the drone is not switched off between those two flights.

I think I have flown 'phoneless' out of doors and, given the better lighting, did not require the phone to authorise the flight.

At the lake and or home was the drone sitting in poorly lit areas?
On both occasions did the app start automatically or did you have to start it manually?

Last edited by a moderator:
The controller and drone should connect to one another without the app running and, for that matter, without the phone being connected to the controller.
There are no-fly zones where a drone will not take off but I do not know where knowledge of the location of those no-fly zones is stored. If it is not on the drone or controller, it is likely that a drone should takeoff, from anywhere, without an app but, from memory, the range and height may be severely limited.

I have just made an indoor test flight (no GPS) with the phone physically disconnected from the controller. I will say that I did initially have to connect the phone to authorise/accept-reponsibility-for-the-light or some such thing because, indoors here, the drone thinks the lighting is too poor for the VPS to work (once flying the lighting is sufficient).
Once I authorised the flight etc. I disconnected the phone, started the motors with the CSC, took off by throttling up, flew about a bit and landed by closing the throttle.
The 'phoneless/app-less' flight mode is most likely the P mode, that is the default flight mode at the start of the first flight in any given power up.
S and C flight modes will carry over from one flight to the next providing the drone is not switched off between those two flights.

I think I have flown 'phoneless' out of doors and, given the better lighting, did not require the phone to authorise the flight.

At the lake and or home was the drone sitting in poorly lit areas?
On both occasions did the app start automatically or did you have to start it manually?
Lighting was fine in all locations. The DJI Flyapp never starts automatically for me, I always click it. Lakefront property owner anti drone signal jammer!! I knew it!! Yah, dunno. . .just weird.

I had the same problem with my Mini 1. Controller and drone wouldn't connect. I was in an area with no wifi. I deleted the DJI Fly app and reinstalled it using the QR code that was with the original literature. It then connected fine. I'm using a Samsung Note 10 phone with the controller. I believe there were notes on the app for updates. Maybe previous updates caused the problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrantleyB