DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Favorite flying X 2

edfrombama

Reactions
Good morning to all-
I have been flying small RC airplanes lately, and today I thought that I'd been neglecting my drone for too long. so I thought that perhaps I could combine the two very different kinds of flying.
This morning I took my Mini 2 and one of my rc planes out to the flying field to try and get some videos of the plane in flight from the drone.
Well, I can say that there is potential with this sort of thing.
However, even though the drone holds its position rock steady as it records video with no attention from me while I control the airplane, it is devilishly hard to keep the plane in the camera frame of the drone. Judging height and distance of two separate flying machines is quite difficult- a very tough exercise in trigonometry applied to flight.
I do believe this sort of photography would be much easier with a second person- a viewer- who could tell me "in frame" "out of frame" as the plane moves.
I do not think trying to get the drone to follow the plane would work. Too much speed and too hard to keep the camera on target.

But we'll see.

If I ever get a video of an airplane worth the trouble, i will try and post here. But don't hold your breath- I am not nearly there yet.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

As you delve deeper into this air to air photography, I think you'll find how truly difficult it is to get any meaningful length of video of one aircraft from another. RC fixed wings are much harder than stationary drones, and it almost always takes two pilots. Don't know your status as a pilot but; under the 107 code, operation of two aircraft is not allowed, just putting that out there. ;)

This is a frame of video from one of my drones as I followed a friend flying my Mavic 2 Pro.
FromBehind.jpg

Good afternoon to all-

Apparently just about everything I do with my drone is not allowed by one regulation or another...
and here I was, feeling so proud of myself for flying within VLOS.

I guess if you're not a law-abiding citizen, you're not a law-abiding citizen.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Reactions: SeaPig
Good afternoon to all-

GFields, I respectfully disagree. Many of the "rules" that are formulated for drone use as well as many other specific activities are placed to control and limit people. I have stated my feelings on BVLOS and other topics here previously- I won't stir up a dust storm by repeating.
I'm so very grateful that I live in a place in which the very great majority of folks leave other folks alone and don't mess with their fun- just as long as we don't hurt or annoy one another. I'm the only drone flier in my small town, and I fly over a 40 acre hay field away from anyone else out in the country.

I reckon I'll go my way and others can go theirs.

However, even though the drone holds its position rock steady as it records video with no attention from me while I control the airplane, it is devilishly hard to keep the plane in the camera frame of the drone. Judging height and distance of two separate flying machines is quite difficult- a very tough exercise in trigonometry applied to flight.
I do believe this sort of photography would be much easier with a second person- a viewer- who could tell me "in frame" "out of frame" as the plane moves.
I do not think trying to get the drone to follow the plane would work. Too much speed and too hard to keep the camera on target.

You definitely need two (good) pilots on both aircraft to have any real chance of a good capture.

To do what you're doing, you probably need a drone that flies FPV proper, with plenty of speed, but there are experienced FPV pilots that can easily fly and capture incredible things in the air . . . check these out for a bit of fun . . .

Obviously a fair bit of corroboration between the two parties in all the above, 2 parties is how they can do anything remotely worthwhile capturing.

We too have a blanket drone rule for flying both commercial and rec pilots here, only allowed to control one UAV at a time, for just this reason . . .

even though the drone holds its position rock steady as it records video with no attention from me while I control the airplane, it is devilishly hard to keep the plane in the camera frame of the drone. Judging height and distance of two separate flying machines is quite difficult- a very tough exercise in trigonometry applied to flight.

But your property at low altitude certainly lends itself to flying with a bit more freedom, if you are comfortable with it.

Good afternoon to all-

GFields, I respectfully disagree. Many of the "rules" that are formulated for drone use as well as many other specific activities are placed to control and limit people. I have stated my feelings on BVLOS and other topics here previously- I won't stir up a dust storm by repeating.
I'm so very grateful that I live in a place in which the very great majority of folks leave other folks alone and don't mess with their fun- just as long as we don't hurt or annoy one another. I'm the only drone flier in my small town, and I fly over a 40 acre hay field away from anyone else out in the country.

I reckon I'll go my way and others can go theirs.

Ed,

I am referring to your safety as well. You're well within your right to disagree with me and break the rules/laws, but someday, it could catch up with you. Sadly, it is due to thinking like this that brings many new regulations. Good luck to you and your endeavors.

Reactions: SeaPig
Good morning to all-
I have been flying small RC airplanes lately, and today I thought that I'd been neglecting my drone for too long. so I thought that perhaps I could combine the two very different kinds of flying.
This morning I took my Mini 2 and one of my rc planes out to the flying field to try and get some videos of the plane in flight from the drone.
Well, I can say that there is potential with this sort of thing.

But we'll see.

If I ever get a video of an airplane worth the trouble, i will try and post here. But don't hold your breath- I am not nearly there yet.

A simple way to get a good photo of a drone in flight would be to photograph your drone against a clear background, the "select" it in Photoshop, and you can adjust the size (Control+T) and move it anywhere onto your drone image.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys