DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCC mode in CE area

I’ve just done it. Pretty simple.
Set your fake gps. Then turn on the drone and remote and phone/tablet.
A message appears that you have changed regions, select yes. The controller disconnects from the drone. While this is happening you need to turn off your wifi otherwise it’s going to ask you to verify your location with a phone number
From the county you have selected. Then your done. The controller reconnected and all seemed ok.
I personally then connected my iPhone. It said I was in a different region,select cancel and I was set. Checked my controller signal,11 channels on 2.4.
Had a little test flight,worked fine. Very strong signal in comparison to ce. Not sure about range. FYI I was in the living room so the drone didn’t have gps and I was using a kindle fire.

I’m still a little concerned about warranty. Does it void?

Reactions: badbrain
Hi

I have now done some further tests.

- I can get the fake-gps hack to work, even if the drone has aquired GPS signal, so i was wrong here.

- I can see the short presentation of 13 channels before showing 11 channels, but it is all done within one second and not the reason for my problems with staying on FCC mode.

So, here goes:
I turn on the drone, turn on the remote controller (RC). I wait for green LED on RC (meaning Spark and RC have connected). I activate Fake GPS, I i turn on the app, I connect the Galaxy S7 to my RC via OTG cable, and the app tells I'm in a new region and if I want to change Wifi-setting.
I reply "Yes", and can verify in settings I have only 11 channels for 2.4ghz. So I'm in FCC mode.

If I close the app, with the Spark and RC still on, and also Fake GPS still running, it oddly enough tells I'm in new zone and ask if I want to change Wifi-setting when I start the app again. That's odd(?) I press cancel and I can verify I still have 11 channels.

With the drone and the RC still on, I close the app, and also close Fake GPS, and verify in Google Maps I'm back at current location in Europe. I start the app again. It ask if I want to change wifi setting. I press Cancel and still have 11 channels.

I let the Drone still be on, but turns off RC. And close the app.
I turn on RC again, wait for it to connect to Spark (green LED on RC). Then start the app. It ask for wifi-change. I press cancel and can confirm I have 11 channels and is on FCC mode still.

For the first time I turn of the drone. I keep the RC on and keep the DJI Go 4 app running in flight mode with in-fligth screen. No wifi change question (probably as I'm in in-flight screen), and I still have 11 channels.

With the RC still on (not turned of in this sequence) and the drone still on (since I just restarted the drone), I now close the app and restart the app.

-> this time it changes to 13 channels WITHOUT asking for Wifi change. (and it doesn't change to 11 channels after <10 seconds)

So for me it happens like this.

- The first time I restart the app, AFTER the Spark drone has also been restarted, I'm switched back to CE mode and 13 channels WITHOUT any wifi-change question.

(And it does not change back to 11 channels after 10 seconds).

- Can other europeans confirm that they can actually turn off everything (drone, rc, app) and later start it all again, and STILL have FCC and 11 channels? For Spark (could be Mavic acts differently).

Thanx in advance :)

Hmmm, I just played around a bit more. This time, when the drone had aquired GPS signal, and I started the app afterwards and OTG connected WITH fakegps running, the App asked to switch Wifi-settings, but the switch just didn't happen. No quick flashing of rear LEDs on drone to signal re-binding between Drone and RC.
Then I turned off drone. Put it in microwave, closed app and de-connected OTG. Restared app and reconnected OTG (as before) and this time, with drone not having a GPS fix, after the app again asked to change wifi-settings, the actual change to 11 channels was done.

...odd... I'm (quite) sure i did a fake-gps change before, with drone having obtained GPS fix, that actually executed to give 11 channels...

All who have problems, remember that first time when you get "new area" message answer yes, allways after that answer cancel, if you answer yes then you are in CE mode again and must make FakeGPS trick again.
And when you have first time aswered yes, of course disable fakegps program, i even uninstalled it on the phone.

Working like a charm and FCC rocks.

Reactions: Jez275
All who have problems, remember that first time when you get "new area" message answer yes, allways after that answer cancel, if you answer yes then you are in CE mode again and must make FakeGPS trick again.
And when you have first time aswered yes, of course disable fakegps program, i even uninstalled it on the phone.

Working like a charm and FCC rocks.
For me, I do this. First time yes. always cancel afterwards.

My problem is, that after drone has been turned off, and app has been turned off, the drone returns to CE (to 13 channels on 2.4ghz) automatically WITHOUT any prompt.

"working like a charm" could be many things.... For you, just very specific -> does it stay on FCC even after both drone and app has been turned off/closed?

My problem is, that after drone has been turned off, and app has been turned off, the drone returns to CE (to 13 channels on 2.4ghz) automatically WITHOUT any prompt.

"working like a charm" could be many things.... For you, just very specific -> does it stay on FCC even after both drone and app has been turned off/closed?
Does for me

Yes, only goes back to CE mode if i press ok after the first time, if i press cancel it stays in FCC mode and i have 11 channel. Many many restarts and flights behind. Of course it allways ask same area question when i reboot but it stays FCC so long as i press cancel, I pressed one time Ok with mistake so i must make fake again. You must make something wrong.

Last edited:
Kankkis, Invisiblename...

- Do you use OTG-cable?

It could be OTG cable makes a difference here.

If not, don't you have problems seeing the Wifi? I'm on Android (and in Europe) and with my Galaxy S7 wifi to RC is never present.

...perhaps I should make a short youtube of what happens for me and it should be visible what the difference would be...

Yes, only goes back to CE mode if i press ok after the first time, if i press cancel it stays in FCC mode and i have 11 channel. Many many restarts and flights behind.

I don't believe the cable makes the difference, i'll use microUSB cable what came with the Mavic Air (side to side), phone i have LG G3. Problems with Wifi, you don't need phone wifi or gps for anything when flying.

Kankkis

Kankkis, Invisiblename...

- Do you use OTG-cable?

It could be OTG cable makes a difference here.

If not, don't you have problems seeing the Wifi? I'm on Android (and in Europe) and with my Galaxy S7 wifi to RC is never present.

...perhaps I should make a short youtube of what happens for me and it should be visible what the difference would be...
I use an iPad with a lightning to usb cable connected to bottom of RC, but I also don’t think it’s a cable issue

-> this time it changes to 13 channels WITHOUT asking for Wifi change.

I had the same issue, no asking for permission, and switching back to CE from successful FCC mode established after fake GPS mode on (I've used that one "fake gps location" app with emoji icon, seen at YT video explainer).

The problem was DJI GO app version (I'm on Android 7). I downgrade it to 4.2.6 (4.1.xx didn't support Air) and I started to see that WLAN message when I enabled & disabled fake GPS. Now it sticks to FCC when I hit "cancel" after faking location.

I didn't do anything special with turning stuff on and off. As it is recommended, app goes first, than drone, than controller and phone to controller at the end. Had wifi on all the time, but I locked myself in the area where drone could not get GPS signal - I don't know if this would be an issue, but it's worth trying.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Yes they changed the routine, it now checks the drone first for the gps signal

Yes, but I can say only from my perspective / gear I have:

- Mavic Air with FW: v01.00.0300
- Controller FW: v01.00.0100
- Phone with Android 7.0
- DJI GO 4 app 4.2.6 < this is crucial, newer version (I think I had 4.2.8) didn't work
- any fake GPS location app

After installing everything, I've enabled fake GPS app in developer options and set my location to somewhere in the US.

After that, DJI app prompt that my WLAN settings was different than my location (this didn't show on newer version of the app and fake GPS set).

I've clicked OK, relink controller with aircraft (FCC was then enabled) and exit after that. Then disable fake GPS as it was no longer necessary.

Now every time I run DJI app again, WLAN message is popping, but I'm just clicking "cancel" so I keep settings to FCC.

Looking like Android prob.

Did fake gps on Android. Fly on iPhone X. No probs yet (fingers crossed).

1st 3 days, FCC mode, haven’t even tried CE.

So far, with no probs, over 300 m distance and 60 m height. Haven’t tried further, seriously, zero issues.

I’m 40 mins by train from Paris, France.

All apps, batteries, remote, drone on latest firmware. Drone = a week old.

Happy flying.

Just done it myself, Sorted...

Latest Firmware on Air (0400) and latest version of the app (4.2.16)

Done once, never clicked OK to allow it to switch back, multiple flights with multiple batteries still in FCC mode, much better!

Reactions: badbrain
Just done it myself, Sorted...

Latest Firmware on Air (0400) and latest version of the app (4.2.16)

Done once, never clicked OK to allow it to switch back, multiple flights with multiple batteries still in FCC mode, much better!
For you reply to be really helpful, you should also state,
• if you stay on Android after Fake GPS hack or continue from hack on IOS.
• Air or Spark
• OTG cable or wifi

For you reply to be really helpful, you should also state,
• if you stay on Android after Fake GPS hack or continue from hack on IOS.
• Air or Spark
• OTG cable or wifi
For your request to be clearer, this is a Mavic Air thread!

For your request to be clearer, this is a Mavic Air thread!
...and even on a mavicpilots.com site... :)
Even so, Spark pilots have been joining the thread, and no harm done in helping them also.

It's a general comment also. Often it is seen that replies doesn't get all informations on HW, connection, SW, etc., and differences here and there are what may cause difficulties for some.

Reactions: InvisibleName
...and even on a mavicpilots.com site... :)
Even so, Spark pilots have been joining the thread, and no harm done in helping them also.

It's a general comment also. Often it is seen that replies doesn't get all informations on HW, connection, SW, etc., and differences here and there are what may cause difficulties for some.
Fair enough

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie