DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCC official calls for DJI ban

"remote sensors that can measure an individual’s body temperature and heart rate"
oooo big national security risk!
For that matter, how? what sensors?
Then what about all the phones that gather such information?

"high-resolution images of critical infrastructure to facial recognition"
Re "images of critical infrastucture"
are they stealing images with out our knowledge? if not then how?
Plus, would the images from a drone be any better than those from those available via the satellite view in Google Maps etc. or from the images attached to Google Maps etc.?
The sky above and or around critical infrastructure is probably a NFZ. If so, what images could a drone get that couldn't be bettered by someone with a super zoom pocket camera?

As for facial recognition, really? from what height? Besides if the face is in a public place, so what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BethanyFerrell
"remote sensors that can measure an individual’s body temperature and heart rate"....
I fail to see how this would be useful to them. To determine whether or not a person is dead? To see if American's are healthy or not?

Never hurts to learn about the person pushing an agenda.

The articles above don't answer the question that immediately leaps to my mind: Cui bono?

But the part about his company taking $5,000,000 to $10,000,000 in Paycheck Protection Program funds while raking in millions in profits, then moving into a "trophy office building", is… interesting.

[eta] Also, sensors that can read body temperature? Really?? From how far away, and how do these sensors reject outside heat sources to get that one spot on the forehead/temple? I call bull.

Last edited:
The drumbeat for the US to ban DJI continues.
every time someone for the US Gov opens their mouth they show their stupidity. I can get more detail from zillow.com or a dash cam than from a drone. eewwwww, drones are a security risk. on top the that, a drone would have a really small footprint, with zillow you can see a lot more. My building where I worked on a Navy base is shown in better detail on zillow.

This entire episode was just a flash in the pan for the outgoing FCC Director. He never intended to do any such thing. He was just trying to make press one more time in a remarkably beige career in the FCC. He is on the anti-China bandwagon, and felt the desire to stoke the fires of the paranoid one more time before the current administration replaced him. Which they did, about a week later.

This never went anywhere, and won't in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4 and sar104
Just imagine the foofraw when the public learns drones contain microchips! They might be extracted from vaccine, and thanks to Facebook* we all know that's spy stuff.

Reactions: sar104
We all love our DJI Drones, but let us not forget that the Chinese gov't continues to be a bad actor and posses a significant threat to the US and other countries around the world. And now they are developing hyper sonic nuclear missiles. And lets also not forget where Covid came from and what it was original developed as in a Chinese lab (bio weapon).

I think the US Govt should be very carefully scrutinizing Chinese companies and products that are sent here, and I hope they continue to do so.

We all love our DJI Drones, but let us not forget that the Chinese gov't continues to be a bad actor and posses a significant threat to the US and other countries around the world. And now they are developing hyper sonic nuclear missiles. And lets also not forget where Covid came from and what it was original developed as in a Chinese lab (bio weapon).

I think the US Govt should be very carefully scrutinizing Chinese companies and products that are sent here, and I hope they continue to do so.
There is a huge difference between scrutinization and outright bans for purely political reasons.

Big brother continues to push the boundaries of control over us. It’s only going to continue to get more restrictive I’m afraid.

Reactions: NG Wildman