DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCC vs CE range.

Where are they advertising the Mavic as only 80 meters?

And for those in CE areas, inc me, it's 500 meters max, or 300 meters, which is indeed pathetic.

I really don't care what it's capable of in other countries under different rules, in all the CE countries it's so restricted as to be nothing but a toy. My Phantom 3 Standard could do 500 meters in CE, and because that translates into real-world performance of about 70 to 150 meters most of the time is why I sold it.

The Mavic proves that power level is enough for 2 miles in CE, but the Spark is obviously using degraded tech or settings. presumably to avoid eating into sales of the Mavic. It's just making me want to not buy either of them.

Where are they advertising the Mavic as only 80 meters?
In the Mavic specs.

To be clear, you should be comparing apples to apples. It would not make sense to compare the Mavic's remote controller range to the Spark's range when flying with a mobile device (which seems to be what you're doing). The range is similar when flying the Mavic/Spark with a mobile device.

Meh.

From what I can gather the remote controller just boosts the wifi (at another $150). That 300 or 500 meter range is with the controller.

What does the Mavic do with a controller, also in CE mode?

Mmm?

That 300 or 500 meter range is with the controller.
Right on. You must have been reading my comments above ;)

What does the Mavic do with a controller
Let's not forget the Mavic is able to use OcuSync. That's no match for the inferior Spark. Then again, the Spark is no replacement for a Mavic for most people. It's a different tool for a different job.

Well yes and no - for ME it seemed a good replacement for the Mavic, as I wanted something even smaller, even lighter, for backpacking.

However the stupidly short range and the fact the thing STILL isn't even moisture-resistant let alone waterproof means I'll continue my hiking without a drone.

To me the Mavic is a bit too big/heavy and far too expensive for something with as many reported bugs and flyaways. I just can't justify or feel comfortable buying one. The Spark got me very excited, until I realised it's 3/4 the price, 1/4 the range and half the flying time of a Mavic.

I'll pass.

To me the Mavic is a bit too big/heavy and far too expensive for something with as many reported bugs and flyaways. I just can't justify or feel comfortable buying one.
Mavics rarely fly away on their own. Check out the reported "flyaways" in this forum. Some type of pilot error has been shown in almost every case.

We'll always see people reporting/discussing bugs online. That's one of the greatest uses for the Internet. A reported bug doesn't necessarily mean it affects the entire user base though. I own many DJI products and they all work very well. This is either normal or I am super lucky.

Reactions: Bunny Too
On the whole I loved my Phantom 3, but the range thing was too much. Or more to the point, too little.

DJI make great stuff, yet they keep coming up short for my own needs. Basically I want/need a flying Gopro, an action drone, something that will justify it's (light) weight carrying it up mountains and such, over near or crossing rivers and streams.

Every item I carry is light, tough and can survive a dunking. A drone that can't is pretty useless to me, but even if I could look past that, the restricted range in Malaysia, one of many CE countries, mean this thing is a non-starter.

The Mavic specs are great, but heavier than my tarp/tent/hammock combo and again, not even slightly waterproof.

On the whole I loved my Phantom 3, but the range thing was too much. Or more to the point, too little.

DJI make great stuff, yet they keep coming up short for my own needs. Basically I want/need a flying Gopro, an action drone, something that will justify it's (light) weight carrying it up mountains and such, over near or crossing rivers and streams.

Every item I carry is light, tough and can survive a dunking. A drone that can't is pretty useless to me, but even if I could look past that, the restricted range in Malaysia, one of many CE countries, mean this thing is a non-starter.

The Mavic specs are great, but heavier than my tarp/tent/hammock combo and again, not even slightly waterproof.

The CE range is the physics of Wifi, it's not baked in intentionally to be shorter, you phone is the major limiting factor with tiny multi use antennas.

What you want does not exist, the issue is not the product it's your expectations lol.

"So are they advertising a 4.3mile range in countries that can only get the CE 2mile version? Just curious.."

Yes, yes they are.

and the new Spark has a pathetic 300 meter range

Umm i think it's 7km FCC, 4.3 miles for CE Friend

Also can i Ask where is the exact circuit/method, what have you; that ultimately
determines GPS location?
By Phone or By Mavic?

The CE range is the physics of Wifi

What you want does not exist, the issue is not the product it's your expectations lol.

Nope, the Mavic used 'occusync" or something, and other Phantom models use "Lightbridge" - the Spark uses Wifi and even the controller just boosts the wifi signal, which is why the Spark, and the Phantom 3 Standard, are so pathetic compared to the Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 3 Pro or the Phantom 4

Umm i think it's 7km FCC, 4.3 miles for CE Friend

By Phone or By Mavic?

4.3 miles is the same thing as 7 kilometers..

Those are both FCC figures for the Mavic, not the CE figure for the Spark, which is either 300 meters or, at max, 500 meters with a different frequency, and that's only if using the controller that boosts the WiFi signal.

"The issue is not the product it's your expectations"

True, I expect a drone that has been weathersealed and made a bit smaller. How outrageous of me.

I think it's pretty clear they have deliberately crippled the Spark to ensure it doesn't take away from sales of the Mavic.

To update this thread, you can now load custom config files to the app which will force fcc mode amongst other things...

I also watched the youtube video how to upload the ".DJI.configs" file to switch to FCC (or boost) mode, and this even works for IOS when using an older iTunes version!

It's claimed to be a permanent change with those config files - question is: will the FCC setting be saved in the Mavic, or only in the DJI Go 4 app? If only in the DJI Go 4 app, I assume you will be back in CE mode (depending on your country) when flying with Litchi?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78