DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fear of crashing your drone

Sorry to hear that, Decal Josh. I suppose its one of those rare cases where a DJI drone has not lived up to expectations or its market reputation. Personally I've had no issues so far but I can imagine the disappointment. DJI needs to improve its customer support as I've heard a few other similar complaints.

Crashes are unavoidable on the learning curve. Anyone with similar experience? Or anyone lucky to have never crashed a drone?
Crashes are avoidable and most are a result of flying close to trees, buildings and other obstacles.
New flyers should do their learning in a large, open area well away from trees etc.
It's very hard to get into trouble when there's nothing to hit.

Speak for yourself. I’m selling mine because I can’t trust it, been nothing but problems since day one and DJI customer service has done nothing remotely close to helping. I have a lot invested and now I have to face a big loss. Never buying DJI anything ever again.
And yet almost everyone else has no problems, making DJI outsell all the other makers combined by a massive margin.
Did you ask for help here?
There are some smart people that could have assisted (and better than you'd get from DJI).

Luckily i have not crashed either my MP or my EVO

I haven't made many flights...maybe 20/25 with the MP and the same (or a bit less) with the EVO

I am limited in my flying...i am in NYC and the only place i can fly is in a city park (loaded with PEOPLE)

I flew last night as it was just getting dark...as i was walking on the astro turf /Soccer field/i/4 mile running track combo i sat down and realized that i did not have my TABLET

I Thought that i had left it home ( a 5 minute walk away) i started home and i see a man and his kids looking through MY TABLET !

YES ! I had dropped it ..it was getting dark and it fell on astro turf and i did not hear it fall

I approached the man (and his kids) looking through my tablet

I said WHOA...Thank You...This is mine ...i just dropped it..The guy was suspicious for a second...he asked me to id it...i did by telling him that there was a password written on the inside ...he verified it as MINE and gave it back...he then sat with me with his kids..and they got a show as i flew it all around UP/down everywhere over the Soccer field

An almost tragedy and loss of my Apple Tablet turned into a OO's and AHHHHs of kids marveling at my MP Flashing lights above us all

A GREAT night

I started out with an incredibly unstable JJRC toy drone, then accumulating fourteen or so toy grade ones (Syma X5s, X8s), etc.
Learning to fly, but crashing a lot, especially after loading the Syma X8 with a 2 axis gimbal, Sj4000 camera, etc, to the point that it was barely lifting its own weight.
Then moving on to the MP1 in December of 2017, and flying that one was like riding a bike with training wheels. The stability and GPS just made it so incredibly easy.
I have flown the MP1 tons and tons of miles, not nervous about the flight itself, but I do lose the downlink occasionally, and more frequently with the later firmware updates, and that causes an elevated heartrate for a while.
I do not fly over water unless I absolutely have to.
I have had two mild crashes that were my own fault. One time touching the phone line at my house, breaking the gimbal plate (I then 3D printed a new and stronger one), as well as a mild flyaway and auto landing (in deep powder snow) the other week. The MP was unharmed, except for the minimal damage of two broken props). That (semi) flyaway was my fault, ignoring a warning for weak HD signal/interference (HD flashing) at takeoff as well as warnings for strong wind at altitude (no wind at ground level). When the app crashed, the MP likely started a RTH, but could not fight the wind. Need to analyze the DAT file, though.

Just looked up ultralight. Your a brave man
Ultralights are like anything else out there, there are good one and there are the not so good ones. It just means you have to do your home work and research and look at past history and then buy one. Of course like anything that you sit in to fly, you MUST get proper instruction before heading up into the sky on your own.

Just like cars, drones, 4 wheelers and real flying machines (what ever they might be), you have people who crash, which we often hear about and then we have majority, who do not crash, from whom we rarely hear about. There are a number of ultralights made today that are extremely capable and safe flying machines, as long as the pilot has been properly trained.

If you wonder about being brave in flying machines, why not take a look at the new Boeing 737 MAX 8. That flying machine required only an iPad 58 minute video to be watched by the pilot, to transition from the older 737 to that MAX 8 because so much of it was just like the old one. Now that does not instill confidence in me, but I was not aware of that last year, when I allowed myself and family to step into one to fly to Europe and back. We may see a can of worms opening regarding this one.

But I digress, there are plenty of things we may have done in the past, that with hind sight, we now realize some were not safe at all, we were just lucky. And of course plenty of things we have done in the past that are still safe to do today. I have been flying the DJI drones, Mavic and now Mavic 2 Pro for just over two years and I have thankfully not crashed one yet. Did trim some branches, well twigs really, in winter but that was my own fault for miss judging distance from the tree. Of those people who are careful and conscientious that are flying descent quality drones, I would think the majority have not crashed, and as long as they don't get over confident and complacent, they will probably continue to fly crash free, we just won't hear about it.

Reactions: mnis
Then moving on to the MP1 in December of 2017, and flying that one was like riding a bike with training wheels. The stability and GPS just made it so incredibly easy.

I can fully relate to that experience learning how to fly on the Eachine E58 toy drone. Incredibly twitchy and unstable. With hardly 6 minutes of flying time in best of conditions, it needed constant trimming which would drive me nuts. Still, it was fun to fly. Eventually graduating to the DJI drones was like moving from a country dirt track to a super highway.

I can fully relate to that experience learning how to fly on the Eachine E58 toy drone. Incredibly twitchy and unstable. With hardly 6 minutes of flying time in best of conditions, it needed constant trimming which would drive me nuts. Still, it was fun to fly. Eventually graduating to the DJI drones was like moving from a country dirt track to a super highway.

With altitude hold, my E58 is actually quite stable (particularly indoors, see video) compared to some of the other ones that I have :)
Can't compare to the Mavic, of course, so I guess it speaks more about the lack of stability of my other (toy grade) drones..
Constant need for trimming, though.
My first one was the JJRC H98. Hopeless drone for a beginner, but fun when one learns to fly.

Reactions: mnis and LazyBird
Hello everyone! Was wondering about experiences with drone crashes or mishaps and how it affected you. I reckon every newbie has two very strong set of feelings on getting a drone for the first time. The excitement of flying and the associated fear of crashing it. I certainly did. Couldn’t tell whether my hands were trembling with adrenaline or sheer nervousness. Fear of crashing or losing the drone seems to be the most common thread one finds in every new drone owner’s first account of his/her first flying experience.

I lost my first drone learning to fly and crashed the second a couple of times. But somehow the experiences helped me overcome my fear rather than aggravate it. I suppose it’s like learning to ride your first bike. Crashes are unavoidable on the learning curve. Anyone with similar experience? Or anyone lucky to have never crashed a drone?
anything you can buy these days is pretty stable and safe.

the worst i had was the accident with this bigger model i have - 690mm tarot hex - at the initial test of it, somehow whole radio receiver cable got disconnected, and, due to some other glitch, the failsafe params were not set and this thing started drifting with the wind at 10ft altitude. and all i could do to prevent this flying lawn mower to crash into something or somebody - was to run toward it and throw a radio into its propellers to make it crash.
the positive side of it - nothing was permanently damaged, no one got hurt and now, i check all parameters at least twice before i fly, it sets a habit and prevents issues.
usually, if all failsafe settings are done properly, the chance of the crash not caused by an unrecoverable hardware failure - motor/esc/prop - is minimal.

2018-12-08 11.37.02 (2).jpg

I've spent a lot of time researching incidents where other people have crashed and/or lost their drones. That information allowed me to gain a deep understanding of how DJI drones work and what I should do in order to prevent similar situations with my drones. I've compiled that information and made it shareable in the guide below. Perhaps it will be helpful for you too.

Prevent a Crash or Flyaway with Your DJI Drone (The Complete Guide)
msinger,
Thanks so much for your complete guide. This is a fantastic overview of do's and don'ts. Thanks for putting it together!!!!!!!

I've spent a lot of time researching incidents where other people have crashed and/or lost their drones. That information allowed me to gain a deep understanding of how DJI drones work and what I should do in order to prevent similar situations with my drones. I've compiled that information and made it shareable in the guide below. Perhaps it will be helpful for you too.

Prevent a Crash or Flyaway with Your DJI Drone (The Complete Guide)

Thanks for all your work putting together an awesome guide!

the positive side of it - nothing was permanently damaged, no one got hurt and now, i check all parameters at least twice before i fly, it sets a habit and prevents issues.

The sight of that machine is what every drone owner dreads. But good to know it’s restored and you’re flying it again. Thumbswayup

The sight of that machine is what every drone owner dreads. But good to know it’s restored and you’re flying it again. Thumbswayup
yep, it pretty much teaches well how not to cut corners in a hurry and be scrupulous regarding every required detail before taking off... especially while testing an unfinished build.

My first drone was a DJI Mavic clone (a C-Fly Obtain). I was quite impressed with it until I tried its RTH feature ... It started to return, but then literally turned and ran! It ended up stuck up a tree and took a week to get down. During recovery, it fell out of the tree and broke the camera gimbal assembly. I just felt that I couldn't trust it anymore, so I put it back in its box and it's still there in the loft! I put aside money for a few months then purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum - the real thing! I quickly realised that's what I should have done first and that the C-Fly drone was a real waste of time and money ...
The Mav' Pro is great because you can trust it to do what you have it set up to do ...
I made the same mistake and bought a cheap clone. What a waste of money. It wouldn't stay up long enough to be of any use learning to fly. Got a Spark and began the learning process for real. Now waiting for better weather and the funds for a M2P.

My first "real" drone was a $350 Contixo F18 acquired in March 2018. Having retired from 30 years providing customer service in the housing / financial services industry, I'd said for years that the real proof of customer service excellence was always discovered ONLY after a problem- and Contixo proved themselves worthy of 5-stars when my Contixo fell out of the sky into a lake just 5 weeks after my initial purchase (not due to pilot error) and they refunded my purchase price. I've been flying a DJI MP1 since May, 2018 and have NEVER seen a good customer service rating...and, fortunately, I've had two crashes (both definitely pilot error), but have yet to have my own DJI customer service experience. To answer the thread, I spent the first 90 days flying my Mavic literally in terror of flying over water, and always somewhat afraid of a fly-away. Most of that fear is now gone since I've spent a LOT of time educating myself by reading theses forums, practicing my flying, gained confidence in my drone, AND having discovered and acquired State Farm drone insurance. Even though I bought DJI Refresh, I very quickly lost confidence in DJI's service after reading testimony after testimony of their failure to perform. So, all that to say, now flying my MP1 almost 700 miles I could not be MORE pleased with the product, and so glad that because of the product, I haven't had to deal with DJI service. Fact of the matter is, I've never had an experience with the man or his company, I fly more confidently knowing that I have an alternative to DJI if I ever have a problem: I'd send it to Thunder Drones before I'd send it to DJI! And THAT is unsolicited!!

Most of that fear is now gone since I've spent a LOT of time educating myself by reading theses forums, practicing my flying, gained confidence in my drone, AND having discovered and acquired State Farm drone insurance

I believe that’s the way to go. Too much reliance on DJI to uphold their end of the DJI Refresh may not be worth banking on. Better to stay safe and covered under local insurance and lay those last remaining apprehensions to rest.

I think more accidents happen when you start getting too comfortable with your ability to maneuver your aircraft. Just yesterday I had the active track circling me while recording audio and video. I just happen to look up to see my MPZ heading right for the top branches of a tall tree. I assumed the side sensors would have prevented that.

Fortunately, I was able to gain control and bring it down safely. I had all my attention on my recording because I thought I was an invincible drone pilot! I guess it's just a matter of time for me.

I keep my Mavic Air for video and photography and use another (cheap) drone for the fun (Hubsan H501A)...two very different ways to fly them ... no apprehension at all, and abrupt maneuvers with the cheap one and , and a lot more attention and care with the mavic...

I'm 65 and started flying things at about 12 years old. 53 years of trying to keep various toys airborne. The old U-control aircraft with gas engines. Then R/C with gas. Then helicopters with gas. Then electric R/C planes and helicopters. Finally, drones. I'll say this about crashes: I've crashed every single thing I've ever flown, EXCEPT the Mavic Pro. 18 months now, no crashes. What does this mean? : If you are cautious and keep your wits about you, if you don't take stupid chances, if you know the proper flight envelope of your drone, then these things are actually DANM HARD to crash!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111