DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fear Of Prop Icing

We had a bad ice storm in Illinois a month or so ago and it was so pretty with all the ice on the trees. There was a really heavy fog and it was 32 degrees f when I went to take my Mavic air 2 out to fly. 7 or so minuets after takeoff and my Mavic was nose down in the snow with a Brocken arm. It was because of prop icing. I had never heard of prop icing until then. I sent my drone in to dji and they had it fixed in 2 weeks and sent back to me. I had no warrante or anything but for whatever reason (I’m not complaining) they replaced it for free. Do not fly in cold foggy temps. Always remember that the air is colder the higher you get.
In general that is true but in cold weather or winter, you can also find temperature inversions. I've taken off in winter in Colorado runway at 8,200ft and at about 500ft AGL I went through a temp inversion that was so warm feeling (I was flying an open cockpit aircraft) that I could take off my gloves for a while. Climbed through that into the cold again.

But you need more than just cold temps for icing conditions, as has been mentioned.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3