DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

fears of flying over water

Back to some of the main questions from OP: So from the responses here it seems that over water flight risks would be: Metal from piers, & similar structure, & bird strikes (seagulls mostly?). It would appear obvious that a ditching in water could be more lethal than a land crash, and negates the crash insurance. I heard about water reflection as an issue. Is this something that throws off the downward sensors? And would avoiding low altitude negate this issue? I have noticed dramatic increases in wind velocity with altitude. But I'd like to think that flying from the shore of a large bay might have similar windspeed & direction as the open water -unless the shore was protected from the wind? But wind DIRECTION might easily change over water potentially increasing headwinds for the return? Any other hazards to add to the list? Thanks.

[
Back to some of the main questions from OP: So from the responses here it seems that over water flight risks would be: Metal from piers, & similar structure, & bird strikes (seagulls mostly?). It would appear obvious that a ditching in water could be more lethal than a land crash, and negates the crash insurance. I heard about water reflection as an issue. Is this something that throws off the downward sensors? And would avoiding low altitude negate this issue? I have noticed dramatic increases in wind velocity with altitude. But I'd like to think that flying from the shore of a large bay might have similar wind-speed & direction as the open water -unless the shore was protected from the wind? But wind DIRECTION might easily change over water potentially increasing headwinds for the return? Any other hazards to add to the list? Thanks.

I think that list is pretty good, the only detail that you might want to know is that if and when you do get the Magnetic Interference or Compass Error , just because it disappears from your screen does not mean it has not already compromised your drone,

Always shut down and Restart no matter how annoying it may be to have to do so.
Other than that your set, best to just turn off the sensors so as to not worry about sun , water reflections.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in the Rain.
Coal

Maybe this is a dumb question but is there any chance over water itself there could be magnetic interference? Besides the obvious things like cell phone towers and other transmitter near the shoreline.

Like, could a sunken steel ship under the water be a thing? How close does the drone have to be to a large metallic object to experience interference?
Take a look at this link How to Fly Safely Over Water - DJI Guides

Looks like you showing us guys that stress over all the warnings and are afraid to do anything that is not recommended that the Mavic is quite capable.
It is! However, flying in adverse conditions is not for the faint of heart, and requires acute vigilance over wind direction and battery consumption, especially when flying over water, where safe ditch landing is not a possibility.

Reactions: Fire Fox
Back to some of the main questions from OP: So from the responses here it seems that over water flight risks would be:
Metal from piers, & similar structure
Launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface is bad practice anywhere.
The piers, bridges etc will have no effect on your flight
bird strikes (seagulls mostly?).
Possible but very rare.
Birds are not restricted to over-water environments
It would appear obvious that a ditching in water could be more lethal than a land crash, and negates the crash insurance.
Crashing on land is not always good for the drone and in plenty of locations, your chances of recovering the drone are just as slim
I heard about water reflection as an issue. Is this something that throws off the downward sensors?
And would avoiding low altitude negate this issue?
It's very simple to disable the VPS sensors or stay above the limited range of the VPS sensors.
Flying close to any obstacle is risky and the water's surface is a big obstacle
I have noticed dramatic increases in wind velocity with altitude. But I'd like to think that flying from the shore of a large bay might have similar windspeed & direction as the open water -unless the shore was protected from the wind?
That's the same as what happens over land too.
But wind DIRECTION might easily change over water potentially increasing headwinds for the return?
That would be unusual.
Six years of flying over the ocean and I've never seen the wind direction change during the time of a flight.

Back to some of the main questions from OP: So from the responses here it seems that over water flight risks would be:
Metal from piers, & similar structure
Launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface is bad practice anywhere.
The piers, bridges etc will have no effect on your flying.
bird strikes (seagulls mostly?).
Possible but very rare.
Birds are not restricted to over-water environments
It would appear obvious that a ditching in water could be more lethal than a land crash, and negates the crash insurance.
Crashing on land is not always good for the drone and in plenty of locations, your chances of recovering the drone are just as slim
I heard about water reflection as an issue. Is this something that throws off the downward sensors?
And would avoiding low altitude negate this issue?
It's very simple to disable the VPS sensors or stay above the limited range of the VPS sensors.
Flying close to any obstacle is risky and the water's surface is a big obstacle
I have noticed dramatic increases in wind velocity with altitude. But I'd like to think that flying from the shore of a large bay might have similar windspeed & direction as the open water -unless the shore was protected from the wind?
That's the same as what happens over land too.
But wind DIRECTION might easily change over water potentially increasing headwinds for the return?
That would be unusual.
Six years of flying over the ocean and I've never seen the wind direction change during the time of a flight.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I’m on my 3rd DJI drone(Phantom 4, Hampton Pro Plus, Mavic 2 Pro). According to my flight records, I have flown almost 1000 miles total. I’m a recreational flyer, have never earned a nickel for flying. Almost all of my flying is over water. The signal is better and you don’t have to worry about trees or buildings. Make sure you set drone to return to home if signal is lost under any condition and make sure home point is set before takeoff and you’ll be fine. I have flown 5 miles over water and then back without any issues.

I’m on my 3rd DJI drone(Phantom 4, Hampton Pro Plus, Mavic 2 Pro). According to my flight records, I have flown almost 1000 miles total. I’m a recreational flyer, have never earned a nickel for flying. Almost all of my flying is over water. The signal is better and you don’t have to worry about trees or buildings. Make sure you set drone to return to home if signal is lost under any condition and make sure home point is set before takeoff and you’ll be fine. I have flown 5 miles over water and then back without any issues.
My friend is also afraid to fly over open water - AND THAT IS INSIDE A PLANE!!!! Has really limited our travel plans! Fears are fears whether flying a drone or in other areas of life!

I am a new pilot and have flown my MV2 over water several times with no issues.
Have you ever crashed your drone? Knock on wood, but I have not.
I have puckered up a couple of times.....just remember the return home function is your friend.
Have fun, be safe, and send pictures.

If you are a commercial pilot and fly when you get paid, then unless you are getting paid, dont fly over water.

Strobe-back.jpg

Admittedly, I haven't flown my M2P over water yet. I've flown my cheaper drones over water before a few times without any issue. But flying a more expensive drone over water scares me.

At least if it crashes or flys away over land, I have a chance of recovering it. If it lands in a lake or river, I have almost no chance of recovering it.

I use my drone for commercial work. I can't really afford to be without it. As long as I don't lose it 2 or less days before a commercial shoot, I could always buy a replacement and have it overnighted, I guess. No drone rental places around here. I do eventually plan on getting a used m2p for a backup hull.

I guess my question here is, am I being overly paranoid? What are the chances my M2P would be lost in water as long as I check the home point before takeoff, fly safely, and not in strong wind?

I see most of the M2P crash and flyaway in the other sub forum do, unfortunately end up in the drink. Is there something about water that makes a drone want to misbehave?

I'm aware about the downward vision sensor thing and disabling it. From what I can gather, it only applies if you are flying about 7 ft or less over water. I would never do that anyway, I would always be at least 20-30 ft up.

My biggest advice.. Turn off the terrain avoidance. If you're not absolutely in GPS your ground sensor is how you hold altitude. Over water that can be a big issue and it's how most drones are given to Davey Jones. Turn that off and you should be just fine but pay attention to the drone, don't tunnel vision on your screen.

My biggest advice.. Turn off the terrain avoidance. If you're not absolutely in GPS your ground sensor is how you hold altitude. Over water that can be a big issue and it's how most drones are given to Davey Jones. Turn that off and you should be just fine but pay attention to the drone, don't tunnel vision on your screen.

I've read the assertion that many drones have crashed into water due to the downward sensor, but I cannot recall any cases where that turned out to be the case.

I live in Idaho a the deepest areas of the Snake River canyon, I trust my bird, and I trust myself. As we should all do with any launch, check & recheck. What else can you do. I fly my MP level with the ground, then right off the canyon rim right over the Snake to produce some of my best footage ever. No one want to lose an investment like we have in our drones, but as a professional, sometimes we need to take a chance. As a weekend flyer like me, I would feel like I’m cheating myself of the thrill it takes to get my inspiring shots. I guess when it comes down to it, we have to decide if it’s worth the risk. For me, I don’t look at it as reckless, but as the excitement and joy that I would want for anyone who does what we do. Peace.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661