DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Feds vs DJI

Consumer side (us) they are not. Using in Federal operations that's a different side. I don't really disagree there but I don't not disagree.

Reactions: tlswift58
Living in China, maybe I can put a bit of perspective on this. The U.S. and China have dueled over technology now for several years. Basically, it is thought that China places technology into electronics that will allow easy access to the government of China regarding the information collected on the technology. Needless to say, this is a significant concern for governmental and military alike. This includes cell phones, drones, televisions and other electrical devices that are network capable. I have a Huawei (Pronounced Ha-wee) phone that is forbidden for government employees in America because it has been shown to have this particular ability, so they are banned in the U.S.. I am personally not worried about it because 1) I don't have any government secrets and 2) I am just not that important :cool: . But basically, it is a trust issue and a dominance for technology. There are two versions of 5G tech- one from China and one American and they fight over the standards. The Chinese tech is quite honestly better in this area. I have an American 5G phone and my Chinese made one and the difference in internet speeds is considerable with the Chinese phone winning.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Cordially,

Mark

I still remember the furore over HIK security cameras a few years ago. The software supplied with the cameras actually had a back door for access. The USA Govt barred them from property owned by the military etc. but they are the largest producer of security cameras in the world and still going strong.
Regards

Reactions: paulomurteira
Living in China, maybe I can put a bit of perspective on this. The U.S. and China have dueled over technology now for several years. Basically, it is thought that China places technology into electronics that will allow easy access to the government of China regarding the information collected on the technology. Needless to say, this is a significant concern for governmental and military alike. This includes cell phones, drones, televisions and other electrical devices that are network capable. I have a Huawei (Pronounced Ha-wee) phone that is forbidden for government employees in America because it has been shown to have this particular ability, so they are banned in the U.S.. I am personally not worried about it because 1) I don't have any government secrets and 2) I am just not that important :cool: . But basically, it is a trust issue and a dominance for technology. There are two versions of 5G tech- one from China and one American and they fight over the standards. The Chinese tech is quite honestly better in this area. I have an American 5G phone and my Chinese made one and the difference in internet speeds is considerable with the Chinese phone winning.

Cordially,

Mark
Very interesting. Thanks for your insight.

I noticed that the Apple DJI Fly app is up to date, but for Android you need to side load the app because the latest isnt on the Google Store. This back door thing is in many IOT devices and most are from China. On my home router I put all my lighting apps and other IOT device on a separate guess WIFI network. It limits the reach of those IOT devices. Just a best practice. However I love my Air 2 and want everything it can do. Just want to be careful.

Reactions: aeciolemos
I noticed that the Apple DJI Fly app is up to date, but for Android you need to side load the app because the latest isnt on the Google Store. This back door thing is in many IOT devices and most are from China. On my home router I put all my lighting apps and other IOT device on a separate guess WIFI network. It limits the reach of those IOT devices. Just a best practice. However I love my Air 2 and want everything it can do. Just want to be careful.
DJI FlyApp for Android has not been in Google Store for months. Have to get it directly from DJI Website and my FlyApp informs me when a new update comes in. Another minor fix is out again - like 3-4 in last month or less.

Also Geofence software updated as well. Last updates kicked me out of my DJI Account, so if you update - check that or you won't be flying very far / high.

what is side load and is android still good for dji drones?

Cordially,

Mark
Uhm.... I thought my thoughts were unique... Finally I find someone with the same ideas about all this. I'm also not important at all and also have a Huawei, that's the best ever phone I had in years. But it's little me nobody

what is side load and is android still good for dji drones?
Don't worry about side loading. For the Air2 and others on Android - if you are logged into your DJI Account and have settings set to download - then FlyApp will prompt you to install any new updates and you can check thru the "settings" part of FlyApp for any updates including firmware and fly database.

Google removed the DJI FlyApp from it's PlayStore, so for Android, you can go to the DJI Website / Downloads if need be. Yet, no issue if you already have FlyApp installed - it's just for new pilots who need to download the FlyApp for first time or if you have a new Android device that you need the FlyApp. Simply connect the device to your wi-fi / Internet in a browser and go to DJI website for the app download.

Because some DC Congress Critters have a bug up their backside about China, and want to "hurt" them by banning their gear.

The trouble is they have zero idea they're also hurting every drone owner in the U.S. And they are putting American lives in danger.

Even if they "only" forbid Chinese drones from being used by anyone with Federal ties, many First Responder organizations use Federal Grants to buy, train, and maintain their UAS. And it will affect companies too. It already has for me and one of my business partners. And it's not even done yet. DOI banned all DJI drones if you're doing a job for them.

It's 100% political, and has nothing to do with the realities of how we use our drones. There are certainly times when drones don't need to fly over areas (any drone), but a blanket ban based on country of origin is idiocy at it's finest.

We'll have an article out soon enough based on Amendment 4286 of the National Defense Authorization Act. It can't be allowed to pass with that amendment in it.

DJI FlyApp for Android has not been in Google Store for months. Have to get it directly from DJI Website and my FlyApp informs me when a new update comes in. Another minor fix is out again - like 3-4 in last month or less.

Also Geofence software updated as well. Last updates kicked me out of my DJI Account, so if you update - check that or you won't be flying very far / high.
So what's Google's problem with the DJI Fly app?

TCS

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin