DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fell from the air in sports mode

Extra loading on blade from forward ascending flight caused it to fold up partially and in turn generated less lift. The change in torque on one blade caused the balance of torque was interrupted causing the yaw to change the most, while pitch and roll was affected but not to the same level. Torque change and yaw instability had gimble move all over the place trying to keep the image stable. As the blade folded up it would start to spin faster, in turn casing the blade to open up again. The initial cause from the ascending forward flight at max speed is no longer present, flight characteristics normal. Pilot lands or continues to fly, but not as hard so does not experience this again. Yet...

Possible cause: one or more of your blades will have the pin that the blades swing on more loose (easier to fold up) than the other blades.

Isn't there telemetry data for motor rpm? Look at That and see which one had non constant speeds.

The yaw was at -95 Or so and changed to +50 then back to -90, if I'm correct that means the the craft nose turned right initially. So that means that a counter clockwise spinning blade (as viewed from the top) was what had the issue... So that would be. Front right blade or rear left.

Also backed up by ROLL value increasing to positive which is a roll to the right. My expectation after seeing this value that it would be the front right blade collapsed in flight. If it Was rear left, the roll would be to the left.

This concludes the NTSB Investigation.
FURTHER ACTION REQUIRED: Replace front right blade.

;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: vinhidalgo
Extra loading on blade from forward ascending flight caused it to fold up partially and in turn generated less lift. The change in torque on one blade caused the balance of torque was interrupted causing the yaw to change the most, while pitch and roll was affected but not to the same level. Torque change and yaw instability had gimble move all over the place trying to keep the image stable. As the blade folded up it would start to spin faster, in turn casing the blade to open up again. The initial cause from the ascending forward flight at max speed is no longer present, flight characteristics normal. Pilot lands or continues to fly, but not as hard so does not experience this again. Yet...

Possible cause: one or more of your blades will have the pin that the blades swing on more loose (easier to fold up) than the other blades.

Isn't there telemetry data for motor rpm? Look at That and see which one had non constant speeds.

The yaw was at -95 Or so and changed to +50 then back to -90, if I'm correct that means the the craft nose turned right initially. So that means that a counter clockwise spinning blade (as viewed from the top) was what had the issue... So that would be. Front right blade or rear left.

Also backed up by ROLL value increasing to positive which is a roll to the right. My expectation after seeing this value that it would be the front right blade collapsed in flight. If it Was rear left, the roll would be to the left.

This concludes the NTSB Investigation.
FURTHER ACTION REQUIRED: Replace front right blade.

;-)

The Air doesn't have folding props..

Unless the OP had Spark props fitted.

DOH!!!! I MISSED that... but I had a good theory. Haha. So much for skimming forum posts.. I recalled the. Fell from the air.....

Hey I replaced it all anyways. It makes sense something happened that caused it. No wind and no bird you’re the closest.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak