DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Felt on Hasselblad gimbal / OCD

Thanks for researching. I actually am a poster in each of these forums pointing out that the PolarPro gimbal guard prevents this.... likely a tighter fit and the padding of it’s interior surface. Agree that $2 for the material you used is less expensive... but don’t want to start sticking things and/or adding weight on the gimbal. The PP cover accommodates my Freewell Variable ND filter and all of my PolarPro ND and polarized filters as well as the stock lens cover. Installation moves the gimbal only about 1 mm. No issues after over 1000 flights on 150-200 days of use. Transport sometimes in a GPC hard case and sometimes in a PGYTECH OneMo backpack.
Here’s a review of a few, including the PP, by our own @Aerial-Pixel
I have been using the Polar Pro Gimbal Guard for almost a year since I posted that YouTube video. It is by far my favorite, keeps it nice and snug, no rub marks.

I don’t see what the issue is here. Was the top of your camera getting scratched and why you added the felt.
If so what is doing it your gimbal cover or hitting on start up.
I have had 3 M2P's, my original and two replacements. The second one was getting scratches from the cover being removed/replaced and I did it exactly the same on all of them. QC issue I would guess...

Thanks! Going to research the above.

About the extra weight, the relative wind created when flying straight has more strain on the motor than this piece of felt. So thats no problem.
Also some ND filters weigh way more and is further forward from the CG of the camera compared to the felt and extends the arm (from CG) a fair bit and, I think, that no body is experiencing problems with using the different kinds of ND filters.
Maybe not the weight, but the rough surface will create a little more wind drag then the smooth metal.

Reactions: Mavicfurrr
Maybe not the weight, but the rough surface will create a little more wind drag then the smooth metal.

More (parasitic) drag yes but there is a pressure point building up from the back of the camera recess and even with the drag i suspect that there is less strain on the motor than given by e.g. a ND filter.

Last edited:
Reactions: brettbrandon
I have had 3 M2P's, my original and two replacements. The second one was getting scratches from the cover being removed/replaced and I did it exactly the same on all of them. QC issue I would guess...
Got ya.

Dont know whats going on with the QC side of DJI but it is horrible at the moment.
Had the first Phantom, the first Mavic (without any problems) and the last 3 DJI products (2x Mavic 2 pro and a Mini) all came scratched. And again, this is not an isolated problem and something is really wrong at the moment at DJI’s side.

Being so OCD, what would happen to you if you crashed your MP2 ?

Most likely would do like I have done when I have crashed others of mine. Cuss, then cry .
Have done it way more than I can remember. :)

..., what would happen to you if you crashed your MP2 ?...

!. Quickly look around for witnesses. If nobody saw it, it didn’t happen.
2. Never speak of it again.

Weird how some people have loads of scratches, and others have zero!

I have only flown my M2P for 9 hrs. and 42 flights and its covered in scratches - Maybe DJI updated the mechanism to make it less scratch prone, but kept it silent, so that people didnt complain?

or maybe some people (myself included) are just very heavy handed?

the amount of scratch may have to do how it is transported.
I have not noticed on mine until I started to take along on a mountain bike in a backpack where it gets plenty of shaking around.
My zoom as well as the pro2 camera scratches. The drone travels in a padded case.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, new guy here! 1st post. I have only flown my M2P 3 times now and Saturday when I was putting it away, I noticed scratches on the top of my camera too. They were not there when I unpacked it because I would have noticed them when I took the protective tape off the back of the camera. I thought I was doing something wrong. It has to be the gimbal gaurd. So why not put the tape or felt on the guard instead of the camera. I didn't know this was an issue but I bought the PolarPro cover already just because it looked easier to install.

Hmmmm.... don’t see this contact or any scratches on the gimbal of my M2P after over a year of use and 1000 flights.
What am I doing right?

I recall you saying in another thread that you use the Polar Pro gimbal lock for your M2P, so that’s probably why your gimbal doesn’t have any scratches. I also have the Polar Pro gimbal lock for my M2P and I haven’t noticed any scratches at all. Thumbswayup[emoji106][emoji16]

Reactions: Thomas B
Hey everyone, new guy here! 1st post. I have only flown my M2P 3 times now and Saturday when I was putting it away, I noticed scratches on the top of my camera too. They were not there when I unpacked it because I would have noticed them when I took the protective tape off the back of the camera. I thought I was doing something wrong. It has to be the gimbal gaurd. So why not put the tape or felt on the guard instead of the camera. I didn't know this was an issue but I bought the PolarPro cover already just because it looked easier to install.
Follow-up: Just installed the new guard and looking at the original guard, the plate that goes above the camera has the same scratch pattern. Love the new guard by the way!

Contemplating on to buy or not. Looks firm and more esthetic, and I attache value to esthetics.

Have to say, both my Mavic 2’s came scratched straight out of the, factory sealed, box. And the first Mavic 2 also all over the body, the 2nd just on the camera.

Thanks!

Camera and gimbal cover scratching are known issues with the factory supplied cover. This may have been addressed for later units?

Regardless, why not put the felt on the gimbal protector instead of the camera? I just used masking tape on mine and seems to prevent further scratching.

For those of you not familiar with the problem, it's not from any mishandling or rough usage. It's simply a bad design.

It was scratching bad and was getting worser.
The camera of my 2nd Mavic 2 pro came heavily scratched out of the box and put the felt on the camera to try to stop the progression of it. The first Mavic 2 came with a heavily scratched body.
My problem is not an isolated one btw as you can see in the links posted above.

Any way, hope the felt helps.

Surely, if it's the protector that is causing the scratching it would be better to put the felt on the protector? That way no added drag/weight on the camera/gimbal (although it must be negligible).

You guys ever heard of Kapton tape?
Stops all wear and scratches, very thin, and high temp capable

Surely, if it's the protector that is causing the scratching it would be better to put the felt on the protector? That way no added drag/weight on the camera/gimbal (although it must be negligible).

well, I know that what you are saying makes a lot of sense, but, like said before it also has a purpose of hiding the scratches.
And it is negligible, a ND filter weighs way more.
And the relative wind it has to handle puts way more strain on the motor than then the thin piece of felt.

I also bought the protector from polar pro, so the felt has to go any way.

Reactions: Thomas B
It took me a bit getting used to installing that PP but after
awhile it’s just second nature .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002