DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Fern's Nipple, an Awesome Desert Climb in the Stunning Capital Reef National Park Utah!

It is fabled some western figure, I think may have been Butch Cassidy, named this mountain after a girlfriend of his, Hmmm. . .

Hey my friends, I'm so glad you could join me on this one. I feared this video may not be received well lacking drone footage.

I think Dale really nailed it, a very special place few will ever see OR want to risk seeing so I'm happy to oblige. I used the One R, 360's modular older version of the One x2, very similar cameras. The "invisible selfie stick" is just a gimmick and any stick will work as long as the camera's 2 lens seams are aligned with the stick. You can see the 10' selfie stick a bit when it bends enough to get outside of the "seam" where the 2 sides of the camera lenses views meet at the seam. . . I am running back for the camera on all 3rd person static shots but, it's not too bad. With the DJI Pocket 2 I can literally drop my selfie stick into a bush, the gimbal levels itself and I compose the shot wirelessly on my phone. . . pretty slick. My go pro has a mini tripod built into the selfie stick with ball head mount, real unstable but plenty good if I put a rock on the tripod's leg. The legs are short and low to the ground.
Climbing down less then vertical is not to bad since you can see footholds without leaning way out. On overhangs it's more crazy but then the hand holds are bigger and that helps to look. On tricky down climbs I remember how I came up and reverse, that makes it quite doable. . . still the hardest part.
While I love sharing my videos, a lot! I make them as a scrap book of my adventures and I make them as long as I need to have those special memories of all the things I never want to forget. I think my loyal fans want to see the nitty gritty too. Easy enough to just click ahead anyway. . . . I do cut and combine clips as much as I can. . . Thank's again my brothers and I can guarantee there WILL BE EPIC DRONE FOOTAGE! on my next adventure and "Wholly Mollie," was it an adventure, especially the the final part of the climb, fairly safe though. . .
I am not at all afraid of height but VERY afraid of falling. . .
My buddy's son was the youngest of the victims of that needless shooting, 20 years old and a very sweet gentle person. I was in shock and angry for quite awhile, including during this trip when I started to think of how special life is and then remembering what happened. . . .
Please clarify for me, the 360 camera model

THIS ONEScreen Shot 2021-05-05 at 7.06.59 PM.pngor THIS ONE???Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 7.06.33 PM.png

I studied getting one of these but so far, have deferred. If you go to the camera web site Insta360 | Action Cameras | 360 Cameras | VR Cameras
I bought the first generation Insta360 ONE a while ago. www.insta360.com/product/insta360-one

It has two fisheye lenses, one on the front, the other on the back, and between the two combined it provides a complete 360° spherical recording. The software lets you do all sorts of cool things with that.

This is with the camera in Non-Stabilized mode mounted on the gunwale of my radio-controlled schooner. Click-and-drag to rotate the image to any viewing angle. If, for example, you aim the view at the nose of the boat it'll remain aimed there bobbing up and down with the boat, with the horizon tilting, until you click-and-drag to rotate it pointed elsewhere.

In Stabilized mode the view stays aimed at a fixed point on the horizon, with the horizon level, until you click-and-drag to rotate the view to a different angle. As the boat bobs and turns under the camera the view remains stabilized in whichever direction you choose to have it aimed at.

Or, using their free editing software, you can pre-determine the viewing direction and zoom in or out to obtain effects like Tiny-Planet. Note that the camera itself and the selfie-stick are digitally removed from the video image, but their shadow can still be seen.

That is super cool feels so similar to flying remote controlled gliders. Cool views! Did you have a mini camera boom too for some of those "selfie" masts shots" I'd guess not, to unstable but looks like it? Cool deal. RC with camera is FUN! I've flown FPV gliders too. . .
You got it Dale, I am using that Insta 360 one R but, with the 2 len mod. as describe above. The one shown on your pic is the single "fancy" go pro like 1" sensor camera. For all intents and purposes I am basically using the something just like the One X 2. . . .just that modular, changeable camera format.

Did you have a mini camera boom too for some of those "selfie" masts shots" I'd guess not, too unstable but looks like it?
In the first two videos the camera is mounted on a very short rigid stalk and fastened to the gunwale railing using a small wooden clamp. That works pretty well as I can move that clamp anywhere along the gunwale.

Insta360-Mount-1.JPG

I needed to do a recalibration of the camera though, as in those first two videos you can see the stitching line between the two lens views is quite blurry and didn't line up properly. Also the camera doesn't like being placed too close to objects as it then has difficulty stitching the images.

StitchingError.jpg

In the third video I used an extendable selfie stick, sometimes fully lowered, and in other shots fully extended. But at full extension it was asking a bit too much of my flimsy wooden clamp on the gunwale. You can see the image wobbles quite a bit.

I can't remember what the actual image size is, how many pixels, but the full 360° spherical image is huge. At 30 frames per sec the video file size is enormous and chokes my old computer. But, the edited video image only displays a small portion of that sphere at any one time, then the resulting image resolution is not so great.

The shots from deck level in the third video were from a GoPro Hero 3 and those images are noticeably sharper.

360° cameras are a lot of fun though and you can get some neat effects just by zooming in/out on the spherical view. Here's a short clip while paddling my canoe. You can spot the shadow of the camera standing on its extended selfie stick.

Awesome, all very impressive, that canoe scene definitely has a magical feel, cool pan at the end!

once again I enjoyed your climbing adventure and even if there were no drone shots I liked waht you show
and tell us Karl? Thanks and have a nice weekend!
cheers Paul

I was hoping you'd drop by Paul, I was worried about you, your opinion means a lot to me!
Have a great weekend buddy!

I was hoping you'd drop by Paul, I was worried about you, your opinion means a lot to me!
Have a great weekend buddy!
I always drop by when you show up with a new video Karl, of course ?? You´r welcome and I am looking forward to your next video!
Have a nice weekend too my friend! ?
cheers Paul

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61