DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Fight flight through An Asian City

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So quiet, such a good camera. How good could the M5P be? You can see the very few places where the M4P could not get it right but only a very few. Some countries have sophisticated systems to detect drones, but they have difficulty detecting small, very quiet drones.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very nice!

but they have difficulty detecting small, very quiet drones.
I think you are banking on dangerous ground there, I suspect most detection systems rely on radio signals rather than light and sound. Anyhow I suspect the sound of a drone would likely be swamped by traffic noise.

Reactions: MS Coast
Some countries have sophisticated systems to detect drones, but they have difficulty detecting small, very quiet drones.
Wrong. The systems detect radio signals and can very precisely locate the drone and the pilot, no matter how small and quiet. In my city tourists are caught flying several times a week, because they fly within 5 km from the airport. They get a fine of around $1000, the drone is confiscated, and often they are even deported from the country. In Norway the 5 km restriction is VERY strict, and even on small airports they can detect drones flying. And the police prioritize getting them.

Don't have any links sorry, just try a google.
Dji produced a system but it might have been for certain drones only and might now be obsolete but the current RID system is radio.

You are both right and I should not assume if I do not know. Thank you

waynorth and Yorkshire_Pud.​

I would really appreciate a link as to how such systems work. Very good to know as flyers.​

The Norwegian Aviation Authorities will not reveal what system they use to detect drones. Every major airport (and many smaller ones) has a detection system, which is connected to a central communication center located in the main airport close to Oslo. I saw a photo of this center, all the computer screens were pixelated to be made unreadable so I could not get a clue of what system they use.
If the system at a local airport detects a drone within the 5 km radius from the airport, this central can immediately get information and position about the drone and pilot, and they report this to the local police who takes action.
It is mostly tourists who are caught, and to try to prevent drone flying the Aviation authorities has set up an exhibition at the airport, in the arrival zone so all passenger see it. It is a large glass cabinet with 15 drones on display, and a sign saying "these drones were confiscated in the past months". And some info on where it is not allowed to fly. Hope that will help.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Dji produced a system but it might have been for certain drones only and might now be obsolete but the current RID system is radio.
You probably think of DJI Aeroscope, a drone detection system launched in 2017. They sold a lot of it (very expensive) to law enforcement, airports and military. I think they have stopped making them now. Here is a quote from DJI:

"Every DJI drone continuously transmits a radio signal encoded with basic information, including the drone’s location, altitude, speed, and direction; the location where the drone launched from and the location of the drone pilot; and the drone’s serial number. That signal can be picked up by an AeroScope receiver. When it receives an AeroScope signal, it displays the drone’s flight path and other information in a simple interface on a computer screen. Every DJI drone automatically transmits AeroScope information; there is no way for a drone user to turn the signal off because that would defeat AeroScope’s purpose of promoting accountable and responsible drone use."

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkanoz86