DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filed a claim with State Farm

SpyderSkeets

Reactions
I know there has been several posts regarding State Farm PAP insurance but here's my story.
So, I crashed my drone this past Saturday (not my Mavic, but another brand, but that's not the point). The drone was totalled and I filed a claim online. The claim process online was pretty vague. It didn't ask me what happened or what exactly I lost (all of my drones and cameras are insured) State Farm called yesterday and asked me what happened. I simply said that I crashed my drone and that it was destroyed. They asked which drone and without pics or other proof, they processed the claim and the check is in the mail! I was on the phone for less than 2 minutes! And to make it even better, they paid me the full $1500 that I paid for the drone and not the $800 that the exact drone costs now!
This policy is the only one I have with State Farm and frankly do not know why or how they do it and I wouldn't be surprised if they do not renew my policy when that time comes. I have done some research on whether this type of claim will increase my rates for my other policies with other companies, but I haven't found any concrete evidence that it does or doesnt. Some sites say it might, some say it won't and some say it depends on the amount and number of claims that you file. I guess time will tell

So, the next question to ask yourself is how much will your premiums be increased because of this claim?
Fwiw, I also have State Farm PAP on my drone, and my agent insists there's zero linkage between that policy and any other policy I have with them. I've read others here dispute that, thought, so here may be our first actual test case.

@SpyderSkeets, do you have other State Farm policies?

Reactions: chazzm
Some other questions/thoughts. Evidently the OP didn't have a deductible? Is that correct? Also, did they require you to send them the drone? If not, and if you bought a new drone, what is the ruling on if you restore/repair the damaged one and then end up with two drones?

Reactions: charliesRig
So, the next question to ask yourself is how much will your premiums be increased because of this claim?

Like I said, there is nothing I can find that says absolutely that premiums will increase due to this type of claim. In fact, not all claims will result in a policy increase. My coworker made a good point when he said, if you file a claim with your car insurance, that doesnt mean that your homeowners insurance rates will go up. So how is that very different? I don't have State Farm for any other insurance and I am aware of the CLUE database that insurance companies share claim information among each other, but I'd be surprised if this claim is going to result in a huge increase for my other insurance policies.

Fwiw, I also have State Farm PAP on my drone, and my agent insists there's zero linkage between that policy and any other policy I have with them. I've read others here dispute that, thought, so here may be our first actual test case.

@SpyderSkeets, do you have other State Farm policies?

No. I only have the PAP policy with State Farm.

Reactions: KeithLa
Oh. I was under the impression that State Farm drone insurance fell under your homeowner's policy, or maybe as a rider. I didn't realize that it is a separate, individual policy just for drones. Cool.

Some other questions/thoughts. Evidently the OP didn't have a deductible? Is that correct? Also, did they require you to send them the drone? If not, and if you bought a new drone, what is the ruling on if you restore/repair the damaged one and then end up with two drones?

No deductible. They did not ask for me to return the drone. Surprisingly, they didn't even ask me to send them a picture of it. It is pretty destroyed and I really have no intention on fixing it.

Oh. I was under the impression that State Farm drone insurance fell under your homeowner's policy, or maybe as a rider. I didn't realize that it is a separate, individual policy just for drones. Cool.

As surprising as it is, that is exactly it. It is not a "Drone" policy, per se. It is a policy that insures your valuable items, such as cameras, and a drone is basically considered a camera.

Reactions: SoCalDude
Fwiw, my policy here in WA state costs $38 annually for $1,538 of coverage, with $100 deductible. My insured items are individually listed, including DJI Goggles, Mavic, and even the carrying bag. I believe rates and terms may vary state by state.

I had a claim on my Personal Articles Policy a few years back for some DSLR equipment that was stolen and it did affect my home owners insurance policy rate. We are currently building a new house, I got a really good rate from another insurer for the new home owners policy, I sent it over to State Farm to see if they could beat it, they asked if the other company knew about my claim back in 2013, my personal articles policy claim. I said I thought those were 2 completely separate policies, she said they are but it can affect other policies on your account. So if you only have a PAP through State Farm and no other insurance you may be OK with your policies with other companies.

I had a claim on my Personal Articles Policy a few years back for some DSLR equipment that was stolen and it did affect my home owners insurance policy rate.

Interesting, what was the sign/indication of the effect on your homeowners? Was it directly documented by State Farm, or inferred from a timing correlation with a subsequent premium increase?

Interesting, what was the sign/indication of the effect on your homeowners? Was it directly documented by State Farm, or inferred from a timing correlation with a subsequent premium increase?
Premium increase the following year.

Right, though that may have happened anyway, perhaps?
Perhaps, one thing that definitely went up because of it was my premium for the Personal Articles Policy. With all the DSLR and drone equipment I had on there it went from $88 per year to $161... Still cheap insurance.

I am a trainer but nature and train individuals to sell insurance. I actually posed the question to some of my insurance reps last week about drones in specific. They are insured differently by each insurance company. Good to know State Farm made it so easy. My Safeco rep said a drone would fall under personal property (coverage C) in a homeowners policy subject to deductible and not eligible for a stand alone personal articles policy.

Perhaps, one thing that definitely went up because of it was my premium for the Personal Articles Policy. With all the DSLR and drone equipment I had on there it went from $88 per year to $161... Still cheap insurance.
What's the total coverage amount for that premium?

Just over $9700 Screenshot_20181018-001442.jpeg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan