DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filed a claim with State Farm

I am a trainer but nature and train individuals to sell insurance. I actually posed the question to some of my insurance reps last week about drones in specific. They are insured differently by each insurance company. Good to know State Farm made it so easy. My Safeco rep said a drone would fall under personal property (coverage C) in a homeowners policy subject to deductible and not eligible for a stand alone personal articles policy.
State Farm allowed all my drones under my Personal Articles Policy, no deductible.

Ah got it, that's a lotta stuff. Just insuring drone gear is much cheaper.
Only $1500 Camera gear, the rest is Drone Gear. Inspire 1 Pro, P4P, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air and M2P are on there.

Keep in mind that it is just your drone that is insured. If your drone break a skyscraper's window or falls into a crowd, you are not covered (no liability insurance coverage).

Reactions: charliesRig
Keep in mind that it is just your drone that is insured. If your drone break a skyscraper's window or falls into a crowd, you are not covered (no liability insurance coverage).

True. However, that is why I am a member of the AMA. In case you didnt know, it comes with $2.5 million personal liability coverage for $75/year.

Reactions: Steve42
True. However, that is why I am a member of the AMA. In case you didnt know, it comes with $2.5 million personal liability coverage for $75/year.
Yep...been a card-carrying member for about four years now.

Reactions: SpyderSkeets
Does AMA insurance cover you anywhere you legally fly in the US or does it have to be at an AMA field? I have NAMBA insurance for my go-fast RC boats but it only covers me at NAMBA club ponds or events.

If so, it sounds like that is a great deal.

Does AMA insurance cover you anywhere you legally fly in the US or does it have to be at an AMA field? I have NAMBA insurance for my go-fast RC boats but it only covers me at NAMBA club ponds or events.

If so, it sounds like that is a great deal.

It covers anywhere you can legally fly. A common misperception is that you're only covered if you fly at an AMA sanctioned field, but that is false. I think the only requirement is that you fly within their guidelines (which are how you are supposed to fly anyway) and put your AMA number and contact info on your aircraft.
Their website is www.modelaircraft.org

Reactions: Brewbud
Homeowners policies also include limited personal liability coverage.

Yes, but are you not only covered if you are flying within the boundaries of your own property? I've always wondered about that because AMA is considered secondary insurance that kicks in after your homeowner's policy pays first, but why should my homeowners policy have anything to do with it if I'm flying away from my home?

We have a large umbrella policy over and above our homeowner's insurance. I should look into it a little further. But at $75 yr that AMA membership sounds pretty good. Although I am not sure I want the magazine. I absolutely don't need to get involved with yet another hobby. Hmmm...fixed wings

Yes, but are you not only covered if you are flying within the boundaries of your own property?

Exclusions vary by provider and state, but from what I'm reading it's fairly standard that homeowners liability covers non-vehicular accidents outside the home. A bigger problem is the coverage limits are typically very low, esp. medical. As such, carrying additional personal liability umbrella coverage is a wise idea, and not very expensive.

I had a great experience with them as well. DJI climes I needed a new front foot and a new gimbal. Charges me $322. I believe I may have been given a whole new unit. H-D all the stickers, new serial number on gimbal and Mavic. Could have been a refurb but looked new. State Farm direct deposited in a couple days from approving the claim. All I had to do was show them the repair estimate from DJI.

Afterwards updated the serial numbers and good to go for my next idiot move.

z

Our local SF agent got burned on out of towner drone policies and now only accepts drone policies for those who have homeowner or auto insurace with them. We have both. I have 3 Mavics and the price for all three was $60.00 total (not each).

To process a claim while flying a paid drone flight. You must have State Farm Biz Insurance. You must have provided them in the past with your Drone Pilot License, and the drone registration. I have all my business equipment insured through State Farm, Cameras, Tripod, Batteries, Cases, up to $50,000. Covers fire, theft, and breakage. The drone just fall under the biz insurance with all the other equipment, my insurance has a $500 deductible. I had a drone crash and needed a full replacement, they paid the claim in a week, my insurance has not gone up or been cancelled. It was my very first claim after being with them for 12 years, maybe that helped, or not. One should also buy the DJI Care Refresh, its well worth it. But remember for a drone replacement they want the broken drone and you can be flying on 3rd party apps.

One should also buy the DJI Care Refresh, its well worth it. But remember for a drone replacement they want the broken drone and you can be flying on 3rd party apps.

What added value does Care Refresh provide, if a personal article protection policy already covers damage, theft, and loss?

No deductible. They did not ask for me to return the drone. Surprisingly, they didn't even ask me to send them a picture of it. It is pretty destroyed and I really have no intention on fixing it.

One thing about all insurance companies I know for sure, they won't operate at a loss for long, something has to give, increased premiums or dropping the coverage altogether.

Reactions: charliesRig
Had insurance with State Farm. Crashed mavic 2 in pool (while self landing-propeller clipped pool umbrella). Filed claim August 28, 2018. Received letter of non-renewal about 3 weeks later with a prorated premium refund check about a week after that. Still waiting for them to make a decision on how they plan to proceed with my claim—-been almost two months. I’m in Texas, and will not be depositing my policy renewal check until they pay for my crashed drone. Guess it’s time to call and be an *******, since me being nice has yielded no results.

I'll just tell you, SF will more than double your premium now that you've made a claim. That was my experience, at least.
Would you mind elaborating? What policy did you make a claim on, i.e. was it a separate Personal Article Protection policy for your drone? And subsequently, what premium then increased, PAP or other?

It would not be unusual for PAP coverage to be not renewed or have a premium increase after a claim, that's by design so the coverage is economically possible to offer, to begin with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk