DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filling the overhead gap for 360deg panoramas

scro

Reactions
I'm surprised it's taken me this long to realise, but that little bit that gets missed when shooting automated panoramas and manually stitching can actually be filled.

The automated panorama mode shoots 35 frames in landscape mode, which includes 2 where the gimbal is pointed up to 60deg above the horizon. This doesn't quite capture what is directly above the drone, leaving a small gap that needs to be filled somehow. However, by shooting 1 or 2 portrait orientation shots at 60deg upwards the gap can now be filled, as the camera can now actually see vertically upwards above the drone.

As @eflyguy says a firmware update increased the up tilt of the camera and the total number of shots in a spherical pano from 26 to 35 images which now covers the zenith (and nadir). I think the update has been around for over a year?? Anyone know?

There was a firmware update mid 2022 some time that increased the coverage of the automated spherical panorama by allowing the gimbal to point 60deg up. However there are only 2 frames from the 35 that are taken with the camera pointing 60deg up, and neither of those actually cover the area directly above the drone. They get close, but not all the way there. The firmware on the drone fills in this gap on the auto-stitched jpg output so it appears to be a full 180x360 panorama even when the source photos don't give full coverage. When stitching a panorama manually this becomes obvious. Usually the gap can be easily filled as it is often fairly featureless sky, but when there are complex detailed clouds or structures it can fall apart.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
They get close, but not all the way there. The firmware on the drone fills in this gap on the auto-stitched jpg output so it appears to be a full 180x360 panorama even when the source photos don't give full coverage.

You're right. Had not noticed on outdoor shots so I flew it in our living room and you can spot the small gap it filled in..

Attachments

• dji_export_20231206_125300_1701885180624_sphere_screenshot.JPG
    dji_export_20231206_125300_1701885180624_sphere_screenshot.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Reactions: EyesWideShut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member