DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming Fireworks

Fly it.

Yea I filmed one of my big displays one year it didn't turn as spectacular as I though it would:(

The biggest issues shooting fireworks is getting an accurate exposure. The fireworks are very bright, surrounded by lots of darkness. The automatic exposure control sees all this black, and compensates for it, overexposing the fireworks themselves.

use manual exposure control, and adjust the exposure by looking at the screen. Using the histogram tool be helpful as well.

Reactions: Slade
I am a new flyer, but would this not be permitted due to flying at night unless you have a commercial license?

...and a waiver for night flying.

I am a new flyer, but would this not be permitted due to flying at night unless you have a commercial license?
Assuming you’re a hobbyist new flyer, you are permitted to fly at night in the US, as long as you’re equipped with an anti-collision light visible to 3 statute miles. Drone Anti-Collision Lights: A Complete Guide to Drone Lights

The waiver for night flying is actually called the Daylight Operations waiver, required by FAA Part 107-certified pilots to fly at night (from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise). Part 107 Waivers

Based on low-light flights with my MA2, you’ll get okay footage, but the M2P will certainly get better night coverage. Our local fireworks shows have all been cancelled, so I won’t have the chance that you’ll have in Arizona.

Happy Fourth to our forum members in the US, and for you Americans working, serving, or living abroad! ??

Last edited:
I find that I may be losing sight of the "recreational" aspect because of my background - I hesitate to do *any* imaging where I might have a market for it after the fact. Without the 107, I'd end up with a stack of potentially marketable images that I couldn't actually use, because there's no way to get the appropriate waivers/documentation retroactively.

I find that I may be losing sight of the "recreational" aspect because of my background - I hesitate to do *any* imaging where I might have a market for it after the fact. Without the 107, I'd end up with a stack of potentially marketable images that I couldn't actually use, because there's no way to get the appropriate waivers/documentation retroactively.
Well I feel safe in saying there are more hobby flyers here than
part 107 holders but if you really want pursue what you are talking about maybe our sister site might interest you. Commercial Drone Pilots Forum
Also slade asked How best to film fireworks and I kidded with him
to start with but to get this back on topic what I’m going to
do this year weather permitting is get with the guys here in town that
does ours,see the highest what they have is going to go and get dead center pointing down and try that. Course they will be informed and
i will be right by them but from all the years I’ve tryed it my timing
was off and wasn’t in the right spot.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
The biggest issues shooting fireworks is getting an accurate exposure. The fireworks are very bright, surrounded by lots of darkness. The automatic exposure control sees all this black, and compensates for it, overexposing the fireworks themselves.

use manual exposure control, and adjust the exposure by looking at the screen. Using the histogram tool be helpful as well.
I agree - fireworks are a light source and as such are pretty bright. If you overexpose them you will lose all of the color and detail. Use manual exposure, then use the histogram to set your ISO and aperture, and remember you are exposing for the highlights. Shooting at 30 fps with a 180 deg shutter angle your shutter speed will be 1/60 of a second. A good starting point for exposure would be 800 ISO at f2.8, then use the histogram to zero in on the right exposure, adjusting the aperture as wide as you can go and then adjusting the ISO if you need to increase exposure.

I agree - fireworks are a light source and as such are pretty bright. If you overexpose them you will lose all of the color and detail. Use manual exposure, then use the histogram to set your ISO and aperture, and remember you are exposing for the highlights. Shooting at 30 fps with a 180 deg shutter angle your shutter speed will be 1/60 of a second. A good starting point for exposure would be 800 ISO at f2.8, then use the histogram to zero in on the right exposure, adjusting the aperture as wide as you can go and then adjusting the ISO if you need to increase exposure.
I would personally start shooting at the lowest ISO I could which would be 100. Since fixed f/2.8 aperture that’s all set so next is shutter speed obviously. I would see what a 4 second shutter speed would look like for example and just adjust from there. If too much motion or something then raise ISO gradually and fine tune that balance. Expose for fireworks for sure which is not always easy with BIG white blasts and then colors like reds and blues, etc. Just don’t let one take out drone....and if u have your 107 technically you should not be flying at night anyway....only if hobbyist.

If you have your Part 107, it doesn't mean that you have to always fly as a commercial pilot. You can fly as a hobbyist and also have your Part 107. You just can't do both at the same time...

Reactions: AtortPhotography
I might try the slow motion video settings to see how they come out and perhaps 4K 60 and extract a frame or two. It will be a war zone around my house tomorrow so hopefully I won't get blown out of the air.?

If you have your Part 107, it doesn't mean that you have to always fly as a commercial pilot. You can fly as a hobbyist and also have your Part 107. You just can't do both at the same time...
This is what Greg said from Pilot Institute about it since I was unsure about this one time.

"That's correct. You have to decide before you fly and once you choose the rules to follow, you can't use the footage for commercial purposes.
So in this case, I'm guessing people want to fly at night to get firework. As long as you're not flying in controlled airspace, you can fly without a waiver as a hobbyist, but can't use the footage commercially. Flying in controlled airspace at night as a hobbyist is not allowed."

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
7/4/20
Mavic Air (1)
Firehouse Strobe (white)
150' altitude/180' distance (from source - fireworks)
default camera/video settings 4K then 1080 post

Here are some old ones w/ the Mavic Air 4K and a Phantom 3 Standard 2K, then 1080 post

Here's one from New Years eve (Mavic Air 12/31-19 - 1/1/20) 4K then 1080 post

Last edited:
Reactions: Pstik
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman